Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 07:41 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Pfft, lawyers are a dime a dozen. Med school is difficult but plenty of idiots get through, someone has to be at the bottom of their class.
Indeed. But it's not uncommon for many to assume similarities or interest based on level of education and/or profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 07:52 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
A lot of this ends up depending on the people involved. I know that sounds like a cop-out, but it's just a weird, true fact of life. Two people who are wildly disparate can find they work well because they grasp the concept of mutuality surprisingly well. Two people who, on paper, should get along fabulously end up as almost comical archenemies.

"Realistically," yes -- although it's less a question of marrying someone with less education and more marrying someone with little interest in self-improvement in all the areas of life which cause strife in couples.

Assuming the positives for the "educated" and the negatives for the "less educated":

- lack of interesting (i.e., STIMULATING) conversation; this could be due to mutual interests, or it could be that one person likes to explore via conversation, while the otherjust wants to know what's on television, and nothing more

- one person picks up the interest of home improvement, while the other doesn't so much as want to pick up a magazine to peruse ideas

- one person takes an interest in cooking, hoping to improve quality of life on a culinary level; the other nods and agrees, but when it comes time to do the work, balks, begs off, is always tired, would rather order out

In the end, educated or not, it becomes a question of mutual interests and the decision to PURSUE those interests.

The only time I can see education itself really becoming a problem is when one person is genuinely incapable of taking an interest in, learning about, or comprehending a specific area or topic, and that area is a deal-breaker for one party.

That, or the way an old girlfriend was. She had her Masters in Music Therapy, her Bachelors was in Music itself. But she would hold the degree over my head for everything, from where to plant a bush in the yard, to what to feed a dog, or where to go for vacation. Seriously. That's not an education problem, though, it's an arse walking around disguised as a person.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
A lot of this ends up depending on the people involved. I know that sounds like a cop-out, but it's just a weird, true fact of life. Two people who are wildly disparate can find they work well because they grasp the concept of mutuality surprisingly well. Two people who, on paper, should get along fabulously end up as almost comical archenemies.

"Realistically," yes -- although it's less a question of marrying someone with less education and more marrying someone with little interest in self-improvement in all the areas of life which cause strife in couples.

Assuming the positives for the "educated" and the negatives for the "less educated":

- lack of interesting (i.e., STIMULATING) conversation; this could be due to mutual interests, or it could be that one person likes to explore via conversation, while the otherjust wants to know what's on television, and nothing more

- one person picks up the interest of home improvement, while the other doesn't so much as want to pick up a magazine to peruse ideas

- one person takes an interest in cooking, hoping to improve quality of life on a culinary level; the other nods and agrees, but when it comes time to do the work, balks, begs off, is always tired, would rather order out

In the end, educated or not, it becomes a question of mutual interests and the decision to PURSUE those interests.

The only time I can see education itself really becoming a problem is when one person is genuinely incapable of taking an interest in, learning about, or comprehending a specific area or topic, and that area is a deal-breaker for one party.

That, or the way an old girlfriend was. She had her Masters in Music Therapy, her Bachelors was in Music itself. But she would hold the degree over my head for everything, from where to plant a bush in the yard, to what to feed a dog, or where to go for vacation. Seriously. That's not an education problem, though, it's an arse walking around disguised as a person.
That is so bizarre. How does that even work? Like, "Remember, I have a graduate degree, I know where to plant these these roses! Defer to me!"

Old 11-14-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
That is so bizarre. How does that even work? Like, "Remember, I have a graduate degree, I know where to plant these these roses! Defer to me!"
Actually, the way it worked in every disagreement was:

"WHICH of us has their Master's degree?!?" [insert lofty look here]

Seriously. I am NOT making this up.

It's just a big part of why education isn't the same as intelligence, although I most decidedly do NOT like this modern tendency to denigrate education as being secondary to "street smarts." It's become so ingrained in our madcap culture it's nothing less than pervasive, an absolute meme.

Movies, where an educated person has no knowledge of local culture, and so ends up being proved ridiculous, nothing less than a bumbling idiot incapable of handling the most rudimentary functions are one of the worst, and tend to be even more pronounced if the educated person is a white male. "Here's your diploma, and here's your frontal lobotomy ala chainsaw-brainsaw."

Old 11-14-2017, 12:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Having a shared background, educational and otherwise, can be a point of compatibility. But mileage varies.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
Guys, thinking of academics as "snobs" and of people without degrees as unintelligent is a boring cliche by now.. I asked the question for other reasons than to stir the pot and get people defensive about themselves or condescending towards others..

I genuinely would like to know if the difference in the education level is a potential deal breaker, statistically, based on your own reports, It would be naive to state that love is the only thing that matters in a relationship - we all know that's not enough.

For example, if you are a high school graduate and your spouse has a Bachelor's or Master's degree, they may be interested in topics, shows, books, and activities that are not relevant to you. Is that not a potential problem?

So let's leave idealism aside and let's talk about the reality. Does it work? Is it challenging? In which way can the challenges be overcome?

For me, I need to be able to look up to, respect, and admire, to be in a good relationship. My husband is smart. I do look up to him, respect him, etc. He has a higher degree of education than I do, but honestly, I don't think it's the DEGREE that makes him appealing, or directly makes me happy. And I feel like he and I are on the same plane intellectually...it's just...he went the full 4 years of school, and I went 2.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
For me, I need to be able to look up to, respect, and admire, to be in a good relationship. My husband is smart. I do look up to him, respect him, etc. He has a higher degree of education than I do, but honestly, I don't think it's the DEGREE that makes him appealing, or directly makes me happy. And I feel like he and I are on the same plane intellectually...it's just...he went the full 4 years of school, and I went 2.
That, right there. R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

One cannot love what one does not respect, and respect is a two-way street populated by courtesy, open-mindedness, consideration, and a willingness to compromise.

Loads of folks think they possess those. Remarkably few actually do.

I've been in too many conversations which made it to "So what is your degree in?" before the admission I have none resulted in the other person's interest being dropped entirely. Up to then I seemed respectable, so what happened? Was everything I just said invalidated?

As I've aged I've learned not to take it personally. Rather, I take it as a kindness. If mutual interest could be so easily lost, there wasn't going to be much progress toward acquaintanceship or friendship, let alone more.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
I think it's less a matter of formal degrees and more a matter of intelligence and curiosity.

I dated a woman with a Ph.D. who was remarkably incurious about anything but her circumscribed world.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:57 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think it's less a matter of formal degrees and more a matter of intelligence and curiosity.

I dated a woman with a Ph.D. who was remarkably incurious about anything but her circumscribed world.
Yep.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:01 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Absolutely. My ex-husband and I technically only had high school diplomas. I had gone to college for 1.5 years, but no degree in anything.

But I read voraciously, learned new things constantly, took interest in current events, etc.

He thought books were a waste of time, would join in any whine-fest about the government but had no clue what was really going on, and had no interest in bettering himself. He'd mock my family for being "edumacated."

The attitude toward learning was a rift, not how much we had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships