Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:50 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times

Advertisements

Wmsn4Life, I find myself glad I'm not the only one who occasionally makes an inappropriate analogy.

Lesser-known things about being blind - BBC News
Quote:
Research at the University of Montreal in 2012 suggests that a blind person's brain does re-wire itself to use the visual cortex. Normally preoccupied with seeing, it's hijacked to improve the processing of other information such as sound and touch.
Many blind people use reflected sound waves to build a mental picture of their surroundings (similar to bats and dolphins) in a process known as echolocation. Most use it all the time without realising, to avoid walking into things. Others claim to be able to tell an object's distance, size, texture and density by clicking their tongue against the roof of their mouth about three times per second and are able to go hiking and cycling without a white cane or a dog.
However...I am on your side in the meat of the matter. I'm not really sure that this app is really a benefit or a detriment to women. I don't know. As someone who finds makeup to be a complete pain in the rear and refuses to deal with it, I am kind of thinking... "So, women wear this stuff to try and look good, and in this case at least, to look attractive to men, when we're trying to date...and the first thing a dude wants to do is see what it's like we don't. Huh. Like why are we putting in effort, again?"

Except for the fact that on the rare occasion I do put on makeup, the men in my life react with anything from a pause and widening of the eyes, to a "Wow...you look amazing..." so I guess they do like it?

What do men want, even? Ah well, I won't worry about it. According to the guys here, women have nothing to fear from men being too selective, unless they are "Chad" or something. We have ALL the options.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:54 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambouchier View Post
Hold it. Superficial? Who? Women who cake it on to look different, or men who simply want to see the real person? Again, I'm not understanding why you're all getting so wound up. Would you date a guy who doesn't want you anyway because of how you look without make up? Great. That's what the app is for. Saves him time, saves you time.

Why do I suspect that all these guys who have major concerns about make up, haven't ever actually HAD a date?

Old 11-16-2017, 01:55 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Hold it. Superficial? Who? Women who cake it on to look different, or men who simply want to see the real person? Again, I'm not understanding why you're all getting so wound up. Would you date a guy who doesn't want you anyway because of how you look without make up? Great. That's what the app is for. Saves him time, saves you time.
It's totally superficial. If a guy is that fixated on appearance I'd move on. I get that appearance plays a part in attraction but he should be able to figure out if he's attracted or not regardless of whether the women has makeup on. What if he doesn't like what the woman looks like in 10 years? I guess he should check an aging app too to see if the woman's appearance as she ages is acceptable to him.

Most women don't look that different without makeup (unless they're wearing a ton of make up which can be ascertained without the benefit of an app). I see zero benefit for women with this app.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:56 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Venn diagram: People who are offended that someone would want to see someone without makeup and people who google their dates.

Another Venn diagram: people who are offended that someone would want to see someone without makeup and people who would dump someone because of their clothing.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:58 PM

426 posts, read 351,824 times
Quote:
There's an app that was recently created which allows you to edit a photo to remove all make up. It's still in the early stages but apparently it's very accurate.

Let's say you've been chatting with someone on a dating site, would you want to run their photo through such an app in order to see what they look like without make up before meeting them?
That’s kind of sad but yet funny at the same time. I guess it makes sense in some way because some women are so good with disguising themselves with heavy amounts of makeup like all of that foundation and that countouring stuff now or even fake lashes. I don’t do any of that just some lipstick or chapstick and some eyeshadow is all I need. I tried that foundation stuff for a short time and it felt real heavy on my skin and I broke out in pimples. I prefer for my skin to breathe, I feel more healthy that way and younger. Makeup looks good but not for those who can hide themselves so well behind makeup that they look like someone else. In a way it’s like people are walking like they are a photoshopped person. I know that countouring makes certain features look smaller or even going as far as covering skin tones, acne, scars, birth marks etc. I figure why should someone hide that from the person they are seeing, eventually that persons gonna know how she looks like without all of that.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:58 PM

21 posts, read 20,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
What do men want, even?
Men are very visual. That's why make up is so effective. But men are also interested in natural beauty and personality, which is why this app is excellent. It removes all those visual distractions, all those nice colors and textures, and lets him see a woman in her pure state, just as she is. Women often say that they want to be accepted as they are and this app, at least on a visual level, lets men see them as they are.

When a woman has make up on, it feels like a mask to some extent, and when you have a mask on, you tend to act and carry yourself a bit differently. I've been known to wear a bit of make up on occasion and I can relate. Look, make up is nice, but men like to know what's behind it too. I think even less than average looking women still look pretty nice without make up. Make up conceals beauty just as much as it simulates it. There's nothing to be scared of, if you have a nice personality.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:00 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
I figure why should someone hide that from the person they are seeing, eventually that persons gonna know how she looks like without all of that.
Because makeup, like clothing, is more for the person wearing it than it is for anyone else.

As evidenced by this
Quote:
When a woman has make up on, it feels like a mask to some extent, and when you have a mask on, you tend to act and carry yourself a bit differently.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:02 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,374 times
OP, what's your cut? You sure are pushing this app pretty hard.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:03 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
There's nothing to be scared of, if you have a nice personality.
You can't assume that people wear makeup because they're "scared."

Plenty of people wear it because it's fun and they like how they look in it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 11-16-2017, 02:08 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
When a woman has make up on, it feels like a mask to some extent, and when you have a mask on, you tend to act and carry yourself a bit differently. I've been known to wear a bit of make up on occasion and I can relate. Look, make up is nice, but men like to know what's behind it too. I think even less than average looking women still look pretty nice without make up. Make up conceals beauty just as much as it simulates it. There's nothing to be scared of, if you have a nice personality.
Not for all (and I'd be willing to bet most) women. Not for me and not for any of my friends. I've never known a woman to act differently because she has makeup on. A woman may act differently in different situations and she may have more make up on in some situations than in others (e.g., at a nightclub or bar) but IMO it's the situation, not the makeup, that's driving the behavior change.

I think you're ascribing way too much importance to makeup.

Last edited by Rowan123; 11-16-2017 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships