Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:53 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector1489 View Post
Of course a big hug means I have to put my coffee cup down
That's when you know it's love.

The idea that holding hands = ownership or possessiveness is just sad. It's the complete opposite of that. Holding hands is a mutual act. It's an unspoken communication. It's beautiful and very comforting, and can be simple and profound at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 07:07 PM

34 posts, read 30,798 times
My husband and I have been married for almost 3 years. We hold hands and plan on doing so for many, many more years.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,118 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjPhFSlhOuQ

If you're a stranger and you're sitting next to me while the band finally pulls out a song we've waited for all night as the first encore, by all means high five me.

If I know you well enough to go to the cinema with you and you reach for my hand during a scary or tense bit, I will recoil as if I've been bitten.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:22 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,300 times
Absolutely.

For me, it's a way to maintain an intimate connection with that special someone in my life.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,751,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Good question. Does anyone under 35 have a stable relationship and time to post here?
no

Old 11-21-2017, 01:29 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,714,516 times
Yes, since 1984. I am nearly 69 and he is 77. Although nowadays I think he has ulterior motives. He holds my hand to keep from falling over.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:13 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That's when you know it's love.

The idea that holding hands = ownership or possessiveness is just sad. It's the complete opposite of that. Holding hands is a mutual act. It's an unspoken communication. It's beautiful and very comforting, and can be simple and profound at the same time.

This is a thing I've pondered for years, now and again.

Once when I was a know-it-all teen, struggling hard and basically showing my arse a lot in the monumental effort to prove I both mattered and was far more worldy-wise than I actually was, I sat in my room trying to "scientifically and logically" diminish the act of kissing. How's that for arrogant youth?

"Why, kissing," I told myself haughtily, "is nothing more than the pressing together of mandibular protuberances." My social awkwardness and distinctive shyness in the presence of the opposite sex had been taking a toll and, lacking a serious experience-based foundation, I was fumbling about quite desperately. "Kissing is essentially meaningless, indeed." Harrumph.

"Kissing," I said to the empty room -- and if I recall I may have actually held a finger aloft in profound and declarative manner -- "amounts to as little as touching flesh, as meaningless as, say... pressing two hands together!"

To my credit, I erupted with laughter at my own foolishness, instantly realizing that we humans do, in point of fact, find great pleasure in holding hands, sharing vast levels of unspoken communication instantaneously, conveying union, bonding, and powerful depths of shared outlook, security, and belonging.

It was then I realized I was in fact lonely, and denying it was a waste of time. It would have to be dealt with.

I think one of the greatest gifts the Universe (capitalized in that spiritual sense) has given me over the years is the ability to put together pieces of the grand puzzle and to use those to see my own occasionally ridiculous nature and intellectually foppish preening and posturing in order to laugh at myself.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:49 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
It was then I realized I was in fact lonely, and denying it was a waste of time. It would have to be dealt with.
I'll cop to that, but the consequences of dealing with it seem far greater than accepting and learning to live with it. The hermit, the bookworm, and the solitary cinemagoer attempting to redefine his place in the world by what you strange folk call 'putting myself out there' and 'approaching'? Inconceivable!

Old 11-21-2017, 06:01 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I'll cop to that, but the consequences of dealing with it seem far greater than accepting and learning to live with it. The hermit, the bookworm, and the solitary cinemagoer attempting to redefine his place in the world by what you strange folk call 'putting myself out there' and 'approaching'? Inconceivable!
I find it curious that you draw a differentiation between dealing with it and accepting and learning to live with it.

Not that they must be the same, but why was your immediate conclusion that they were exclusive?

I suspect that's worth thinking about for a moment.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 PM

599 posts, read 276,129 times
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch

"Why, kissing," I told myself haughtily, "is nothing more than the pressing together of mandibular protuberances."

My goodness...as a teen I was more concerned with acne

Last edited by Inspector1489; 11-21-2017 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships