Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 10:14 PM

55 posts, read 35,199 times

Advertisements

I recently left a 10-year relationship. We were together since I was 18, since high school, through university, and the greater part of my 20's. We have one child together, bought our first home together, and have always been best friends. But when you're with someone that long, through those transformative years, you go through a lot of changes. One day you're a teenager, then a young adult, and before you realize it, years have passed and your partner, your best friend, is just that: your best friend, your co-parent. I realized that the two teenage kids who had first fallen in love had grown into two very different adults.

I didn't want to get married even though that always seemed to be the plan. So we ended it, amicably. We're still co-parenting and still have great respect for each other, but given my situation, I don't think another relationship is in my future. It may or may not be a good thing? Sadly, I don't think I would even know how to date, let alone meet someone who was single and would want to get involved with me which is understandable.

But what I'm wondering is if anyone has been in a similar situation? What has your experience been like, being the only unmarried one in your circle of friends? Do you find it hard to cope with being single all the time or is it less stressful?

Insight of any kind is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 10:24 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
You've overcome some very large mountains and still remained 'best friends' and you end it?

Why?

I think you should rekindle your love for the only man you have ever loved.

Give your child a father to be in her life 24-7

Old 11-22-2017, 10:24 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Are you male or female?

Old 11-22-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
You've overcome some very large mountains and still remained 'best friends' and you end it?

Why?

I think you should rekindle your love for the only man you have ever loved.

Give your child a father to be in her life 24-7
Thank you for your response. We live nearby one another and our child sees us both the same amount (maybe more so now that our schedules have changed since the split, oddly). But I couldn't ask that of my ex. He seems at peace with the decision and I don't want to hold him back from finding the right woman one day (a wife, marriage, passion).

Old 11-22-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Are you male or female?
Female

Old 11-22-2017, 11:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
You are way too young to make any lifelong pronouncements about remaining single forever.

It can be very difficult to be around the same old friends who are going through different experiences. I would be open to new situations where you will meet new people and won't feel like you're living an incomplete version of your former life.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:49 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,061,419 times
You sound like you’ve given up already! You’re still young - you are bound to meet someone else eventually, especially if you are a woman.

Why not just enjoy being single for now? You’ve got plenty of time for a relationship in the future.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:19 PM

104 posts, read 96,703 times
I've had one relationship that was very passionate but ended very badly. That was a long time ago, and I've never been involved with anyone since. Occasionally I had feelings, but none of them were ever reciprocated.

I get a lot of well-intentioned but bad advice and encouragement aimed at getting me to try to find a relationship. I chalk that up to people being uncomfortable that someone is going against the social imperative to partner up, especially if that someone is a woman. I'm in a pretty good place in my life and prefer to be alone and do what I want.

I think it would be a better world if we could collectively admit that love doesn't happen to everyone, and that not all of us are going to get a happy ever after.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You are way too young to make any lifelong pronouncements about remaining single forever.

It can be very difficult to be around the same old friends who are going through different experiences. I would be open to new situations where you will meet new people and won't feel like you're living an incomplete version of your former life.
"an incomplete version of your former life." This makes me view my situation a bit differently and think you have a point here. Thank you.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
You sound like you’ve given up already! You’re still young - you are bound to meet someone else eventually, especially if you are a woman.

Why not just enjoy being single for now? You’ve got plenty of time for a relationship in the future.
I think you're right. Maybe I should just stop worrying about it and take it day by day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships