Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 01:17 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

Would appreciate input from those who are in a long term relationship, married, etc.
If your phone talks aren’t always filled with things to talk about and there are long pauses since one or both have nothing new or can’t think of anything more to say,
Is this normal?
Or is this at least a Big Yellow Flag?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 03:21 AM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
No.

What relationship is worh it if you can't even do it LTR, let alone IRL?

I mean, what.

Never met the SO? Never felt out what kinda person SO is?

Old 11-29-2017, 05:32 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
If you don't have things to talk about it may mean you don't have enough things in common or that perhaps you aren't DOING enough things. If you just veg out and never do anything or try new things (separately or together) then you won't have much to share with each other.

You'll need to figure out if it's an "activity/boredom" thing or an "incompatibility" thing.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:32 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
If you're in a relationship, why the need for long phone conversations?

Old 11-29-2017, 05:41 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Communication is overrated.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:23 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Spend more time together doing things but also allow each other to have individual lives outside of bring a couple. Do not veg out and do nothing...

Why are you both having long conversations over the phone?

Do you run out of things to talk about with friends?

17 years together and despite being recently separated, we meet weekly for a dinner date without children; we still don't run out of things to talk about. Politics, what we have been up to, TV, movies, news, children, my my friends (which can go on and on...) , her friends, personal problems, family problems, struggles, plans as individuals, plans as a family, work, and even reminisce about our past together.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:26 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Spend more time together doing things but also allow each other to have individual lives outside of bring a couple. Do not veg out and do nothing...

Why are you both having long conversations over the phone?

Do you run out of things to talk about with friends?

17 years together and despite being recently separated, we meet weekly for a dinner date without children; we still don't run out of things to talk about. Politics, what we have been up to, children, my friends, her friends, problems, struggles, and even reminisce about our past together.
There is a difference o n the phone. Two people in person may have occasional lapses in conversation and it's just 'companionable silence'.
It's awkward dead space if on the phone.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:31 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
There is a difference o n the phone. Two people in person may have occasional lapses in conversation and it's just 'companionable silence'.
It's awkward dead space if on the phone.
Sure... Conversation is easier in person, but content is the same... When we graduated and married we spent 1.5 years living apart. She was in TX and I was in NJ. It wasn't any different. We still had endless things to talk about... Her friends, my friends, studies, my work, individual struggles, news, politics, planning the next visit.. etc... None of which are limited to in-person conversations.

Perhaps there is nothing to talk about simply because the parties really aren't pursuing interests that spark conversations. That would be the same whether talking to SO or simply friends... Which is why I asked what they talked about with their friends.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I have been married for 30 years, and my husband and I still love each other very much, but unless we have something specific to discuss, we probably don't spend 30 minutes a day in actual conversation -- and I understand that even 30 minutes a day is a lot for people who are both introverts!

After being together for so long, I think it is unrealistic to expect to always have something new and interesting to say to each other, but there is nothing wrong in being so comfortable with each other that you don't feel the need to talk.

In fact, I have heard it said that the only time couples talk for long periods day after day after day is at the beginning and at the end of their relationship. (Although I would disagree with that when at least one of the people loves to just gab about anything and everything, no matter how trivial! Personally, I think people like that are both annoying and boring, but that is just a reflection of my introversion, I think.)

Old 11-29-2017, 07:47 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Would appreciate input from those who are in a long term relationship, married, etc.
If your phone talks aren’t always filled with things to talk about and there are long pauses since one or both have nothing new or can’t think of anything more to say,
Is this normal?
Or is this at least a Big Yellow Flag?
Thanks.
My husband and I don't really have long phone conversations. When we speak on the phone, it's usually just to check in with each other if one or both of us are out of town - so no more than a 15-20 minute conversation. And when we run out of things to talk about, we just say our goodbyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships