Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:36 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,232 times

Advertisements

If I suddenly became rich, I'd just be happy that I didn't have to work this job anymore.

I have a side gig, so it's not like I'd just live off of the money that made me rich for the rest of my life.

Luckily, the day may be coming in about 3 months, where I don't have to work this job anymore, anyway!

I would be okay with splitting all my money with her. For the first year of the relationship? I wouldn't have felt comfortable with splitting everything with her. Not because the relationship was bad, but because it was still very early. Ever since about 12-15 months into the relationship, I've felt like I'd not only split everything with her, if I came into money, but that I'd leave her all of my assets, even if something happened to me before we were married. I want her to have my home (it's our home now, but I've been here for almost a year before her) and would rather she gets most anything of worth, than my family. I cringe when thinking of my mom inheriting my house and letting my brother come live down here in it by himself, or her inheriting my bikes/car and him driving them, since she can only drive an automatic and would have no use for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 07:22 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I have a girlfriend now. Thanks for asking. And please quit following me trying to single-shame me.

I don't follow you around. You're one of many individuals here. You've shown a history of difficulty having/maintaining relationships. Your personality shines through. Frankly, I don't even understand why you WANT a girlfriend. You certainly don't trust women, and assume that somehow, they're all out to get you.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:24 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
"Bit"coins

Old 12-14-2017, 07:31 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I love this game!

If I got a windfall of 16 million dollars, of course I would tell my husband. In MY game, we pay the house and the Explorer off, we give all the kids, parents and siblings a nice chunk too.

Next priority would be looking for a vacation property/future retirement place to live. With that kind of money, it'd be more than enough to find exactly what we want. With those things in order, we quit our jobs, and enjoy the rest of our lives.
I like your idea. You get the whole concept of marriage and family.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:31 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
I don't follow you around. You're one of many individuals here. You've shown a history of difficulty having/maintaining relationships. Your personality shines through. Frankly, I don't even understand why you WANT a girlfriend. You certainly don't trust women, and assume that somehow, they're all out to get you.
Well clearly, you've misread or misremembered my history so I don't know what to say to you. All I know is that I trust the woman in with now because she has earned that trust. But I will always hold my money close, please believe. But your attempt to frame me as a woman hater is faulty at best.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 12-14-2017 at 07:53 AM..

Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Well clearly, you've misread or misremembered my history so I don't know what to day to you. All I know is that I trust the woman in with now because she has earned that trust. But I will always hold my money close, please believe. But your attempt to frame me as a woman hater is faulty at best.

Fine Dissenter. It's no skin off my nose if I'm wrong.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Well clearly, you've misread or misremembered my history so I don't know what to say to you. All I know is that I trust the woman in with now because she has earned that trust. But I will always hold my money close, please believe. But your attempt to frame me as a woman hater is faulty at best.

Question...

So, let's say you DO come into this huge windfall, and you're with the same lady that you're with now. She's loving, she makes you a better person, she's the light of your life, and you are hers.

What happens to her when you get this huge sum of money?

Old 12-14-2017, 08:19 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times
I'd pay all debts in full, invest properly so that we could live well enough into retirement off interest, and then I think we'd spend the majority of our time travelling and working odd jobs for extra spending money.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:35 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Question...

So, let's say you DO come into this huge windfall, and you're with the same lady that you're with now. She's loving, she makes you a better person, she's the light of your life, and you are hers.

What happens to her when you get this huge sum of money?
As long as the relationship is existing, she'd get to enjoy the money with me. That is done as a partnership function and that ends if the relationship ends.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:57 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Quote:
As long as the relationship is existing, she'd get to enjoy the money with me. That is done as a partnership function and that ends if the relationship ends.
I suspect that’s how most people would handle it, actually. It just gets tricky if there is a divorce.

As for me, I’d be more concerned about protecting my assets from myself - my own overspending or poor investments or being too generous with causes j haven’t thought through. So I’d be focused on structuring the wealth in investments and accounts for purposes like covering taxation, especially property taxes, and figuring out the yearly dividend I should allot myself to live comfortably but not significantly reduce the principle. I’m already married so I’d probably be content splitting that with my spouse if we split, even if I earned it before he came along. We shared a life and assets, and unless I kept the account only in my name I’d expect it to be joint.

But yeah, the bigger risk is spending issues, as lottery stories have shown us. Conniving spouses certainly exist, but given that I chose this person because he is trustworthy, decent, and hard working, my own budgetary discipline is the issue I’d want to insure against most. I’m not bad with money, but there would certainly need to be smart asset management happening, quietly and immediately. And I’d probably never tell my family or friends about it. If they needed help I might chip in, but I’m not making myself the Bank Of Schmooky either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships