Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 10:16 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
Single life has a ton of perks. There are a lot of positives from it.
Very true! But you did leave out one thing: After a certain age, which varies from region to region, society thinks it's not normal to be single. That's a big thing to take into account. But another thing to take into account is that "society" is a fair-weather friend: it doesn't give a damn about you personally, only about how "normal" you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 11:29 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Very true! But you did leave out one thing: After a certain age, which varies from region to region, society thinks it's not normal to be single. That's a big thing to take into account. But another thing to take into account is that "society" is a fair-weather friend: it doesn't give a damn about you personally, only about how "normal" you are.
Society doesn't even care if you fall within normal parameters.

I had no interest in marriage and didn't marry until I was 35. Never heard a peep from society or anyone else
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-19-2017, 11:43 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Society doesn't even care if you fall within normal parameters.

I had no interest in marriage and didn't marry until I was 35. Never heard a peep from society or anyone else
So true. Society could care less about anyone being "normal".

Wanna stay forever single; nobody cares!

Old 12-20-2017, 06:19 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm not so sure this really is applicable today.. at least in my locale. Marriage is falling out of favor and there are plenty of people enjoying single life at various stages. I think "society's" pressure, like peer pressure, are only noticeable when the group of people actually take notice and act on what they deem as out-of-norm. I think today, people are more and more likely to live and let live...

Not too long ago, It was a big deal to be a divorcee... Slightly farther back, it was a big deal to be interracial marriage. Going even further back, it was not normal to choose to be childless since society generally measured family success against the number of children.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:52 AM

95 posts, read 89,311 times
Being single is great if you are a really good looking person with a good job and great social circle. Being single is not so great if you are slightly above average looking, make 48,000 a year and have a small group of friends coupled with anxiety issues So for me being in a long term relationship is much better than those awful first dates where I get asked what I do for a living and get to see the look on my face when they saw the small one bedroom I lived in. When I found a girl that can see past all that surface stuff I settled in for the long haul and haven't looked back.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:25 AM

651 posts, read 407,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster913 View Post
Being single is great if you are a really good looking person with a good job and great social circle. Being single is not so great if you are slightly above average looking, make 48,000 a year and have a small group of friends coupled with anxiety issues So for me being in a long term relationship is much better than those awful first dates where I get asked what I do for a living and get to see the look on my face when they saw the small one bedroom I lived in. When I found a girl that can see past all that surface stuff I settled in for the long haul and haven't looked back.
This is true. There are many unique circumstances that make our individual experiences different from each other. So simply telling someone "be happy, make more money, take more advantage of being single and sleep with lot of women" is kinda pointless, really.

I would be willing to bet that MOST people fall into the category of not being able to take advantage of being with someone at will because they either dont have certain inherent characteristics or the acquired means (money) which can and do buy "happiness", to an extent. Having a lot of wealth/power does wonders to that thing called confidence.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:18 AM

57 posts, read 61,907 times
Because most people assume that a single person is out and about playing the field.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:40 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddleydoo22 View Post
Because most people assume that a single person is out and about playing the field.
Or, alternately, focusing on their own success without having to invest a bunch of time into a partner and/or family.

That's the thing though...time is probably the ultimate in limited commodities. We only get so much of it, and we never really know how much, only that it's limited and one day we'll have no more time to live and do stuff. So if you are spending time doing one thing, you are NOT spending it doing another thing.

Some people find fulfillment sacrificing their time to the needs of others, such as children. Some do for a while, but get burned out if it starts seeming pretty thankless and might think, "I kind of wish I hadn't gone this path in life...there are so many other things I could have done, could have been..." But we never really get to know for sure, how things could have gone, if our choices had been different.

We all have to make choices, and sleep in the bed we make for ourselves.

I think the main difficulty that had me wishing I were single when I was married, was that I didn't know myself well enough when I met my ex, to know what I needed, so I could not therefore choose someone and set up a lifestyle that would in fact meet my needs. I went along with a lot of things the way he said they had to be, as "the way it is" without realizing...I don't have to. These are not universal laws of how relationships HAVE to operate. If it doesn't work for me, why am I doing this? Again though, that doesn't mean that longterm monogamous relationships are to blame for the troubles I had. I simply needed to find someone compatible and mentally flexible enough to work with me in shaping our dynamic and not demanding whatever default relationship model they believe is right for everyone, and the only "right way" to do things.

MillennialUrbanist, I really just shake my head at your position that what you have seen others do in marriage is the only way it ever works out, and since that's not what you want, then marriage is clearly the problem and the only solution is to avoid it. I mean, obviously, it's your life, and certainly not my place to tell you that you're doing anything wrong for yourself if you are happy with where you're at. I might sit here thinking you kinda threw the baby out with the bathwater, and wondering why you're so concerned about what society thinks is normal or weird, though. I mean, I tell people here about some pretty weird stuff I'm into in life, and I don't feel judged by "society" around me. Lots of folks here like me, I do just fine socially. Better in fact than many "normal" (boring) people I know. So.

I guess the part I go about is the slight flavor of "underdog" mentality I pick up in your tone sometimes. Like you don't want to be bitter about stuff, but you kinda still feel cheated or victimized in life, or you were promised something that turned out to be a lie (from where you stand)... Maybe you transmit a bit of a vibe from your association with Those Who Will Not Be Named. I dunno.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:40 AM

43 posts, read 22,572 times
I think the main reason is that those of us in relationships have long forgotten the excitement of getting a new piece of a$$ and we assume that single people are getting a new piece of a$$ every night and we're jealous.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
I think being single is more financially precarious than being married. I know tons of single women who wound up in poverty or homeless. One who wound up in a shelter. The demographic hit hardest by home foreclosures has been single women. Having two incomes is much more safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships