Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 03:23 PM

336 posts, read 195,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
OK then, so are 80% of women.

You understand that includes a lot of overweight people, right?

As well as women who are like...older than 30.
No, roughly 50% of men and 50% of women, are below average looking. That is how AVERAGE is figured out. A survey on OKC few years back found that women thought 70 or 80% of men were below average looking, which simply means they dont have a clue what an average guy looks like. Get it?

Old 01-03-2018, 03:48 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I think the crux of the issue comes down to prostitution. It should be legalized and regulated in all 50 states and US territories. Guys that struggle with dating honestly just need to get laid its that simple. Forgot recreational pot recreational prostitution is the future.

It would be more of a pleasant society if prostitution was legal. It would cut down on love thirsty men trying to peacock themselves to attract women. For example we would see a lot less guys taking steroids to build unnatural muscularity. It would also cut down on crime because many men become criminals to attract women...the whole bad boy thing. If prostitution was legal and widespread men could just relax and be themselves.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:01 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1981 View Post
No, roughly 50% of men and 50% of women, are below average looking. That is how AVERAGE is figured out. A survey on OKC few years back found that women thought 70 or 80% of men were below average looking, which simply means they dont have a clue what an average guy looks like. Get it?
Ah. I wasn't getting that from the post I replied to earlier. I see.

Well, I think plenty of men are below average looking, too, or more significantly in a very broad range of normal-ish that simply is unremarkable. Doesn't mean I wouldn't date them. Besides, see the preceding posts where guys are talking about "types." My type is (appearance wise) in his 50's at least, still has his hair but it's going silver or is all silver, and as long as he's not some sort of extreme (Walmart scooter obese, famine-thin, or bodybuilder) I really don't care about his body shape.

Would I rate him numerically? I wouldn't even know how to do that. I am aware that the guys that some of my female friends think are hot, do nothing for me. I went to a birthday event where there was a male stripper, once. I thought his um...flippity flopping banana hammock...was utterly ridiculous, and while he was very nice, and had some interesting tattoos, I just didn't find him attractive, at all. Maybe he's a 9 for some women, but he's like a 4 for me. Or less. I'd rate him below average on a dating site, by photo alone, and that dude gets PAID to be "hot." That's why such things don't make a ton of sense to me, I think it's too subjective.

But trying to be fair and impersonal about it, I'd say most men are "average" with maybe a top and bottom 10% who are too pretty or too ugly. "He looka like a man!"

Old 01-03-2018, 04:03 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
it's harder for the average guy because women are seeking for the best they can find, even thought they are average.
There is some truth to this statement.

I believe the main issue is that men are much less likely to wait for what they really want and they will very quickly begin to rationalize away their own criteria. Too many men are looking for a quick "win" and complain when it doesn't happen.

It is all a matter of patience and self esteem.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:10 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It would be more of a pleasant society if prostitution was legal. It would cut down on love thirsty men trying to peacock themselves to attract women. For example we would see a lot less guys taking steroids to build unnatural muscularity. It would also cut down on crime because many men become criminals to attract women...the whole bad boy thing. If prostitution was legal and widespread men could just relax and be themselves.
I think you nailed it. Alot of societies problems boil down to sexually frustrated men give them a legal outlet for intimacy and people would be alot more relaxed. Just think of all the jobs that could be created!

Old 01-03-2018, 04:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
No, actually, that is not how average is figured out.

What's the average of this series of numbers?
How many of the numbers are below that average?

Old 01-03-2018, 07:26 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
No, actually, that is not how average is figured out.

What's the average of this series of numbers?
How many of the numbers are below that average?
Are you saying that’s the distribution of attractiveness?

I’d say it’s approximately Gaussian and the the median and the mean are the same (ie 50% are below average)

Old 01-03-2018, 07:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Women in general have more options then men, yes. Note that I didn't say they were GOOD options, but still, there is some edge to having more options.

Think of it this way: A man may only get a few lottery tickets, while a woman gets many more. Most lottery tickets are not winners, however. Still, getting more increases the odds somewhat.

Long story short, while women do have more options, finding a good partner isn't easy for either gender.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:09 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Are you saying that’s the distribution of attractiveness?
DID I say that?
Nope

By definition, if, what the poster I was responding to said is true,
Quote:
A survey on OKC few years back found that women thought 70 or 80% of men were below average looking
then the distribution is not normal.

So, his assertion of how average is calculated and his assertion that women don't have a clue about what men they find attractive, only belies his own lack of understanding.

Right?

Old 01-04-2018, 01:41 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I haven't found that to be the case, but for the most part we do outdoor activities with the people I date, and I tend to be attracted to down to earth types.
Have you ever gone out with someone that made significantly less and you ended up paying the majority of time because she simply couldn't afford the finances to go out? Like small trips or restaurants?

Would you marry someone who made significantly less than you? Like just above minimum wage? Or someone recovering from a bad divorce with no assets and makes less than the average?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships