Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Being out of line for what? Looking away from her and talking to his other friends? He was with them, after all, and may have been also engaged in conversation with them when she approached him.

Putting yourself in the other person's shoes can go a long way towards preventing this sort of social malfunction in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 11:54 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So because he has lot's of friends you want to be his friend? Why not choose and make your friends because they are decent people...not because they are popular. Seems like your trying to make yourself look good by using someone else's popularity. Thats not being a friend. My friends are my friends because they earned it...not because they are popular with everyone else in town. It's like trying to get something for nothing. Shame on you.

I didn't know what I was thinking when I was trying to be friends with him or what I was trying to gain out of his friendship, fortunately there is a girl who I'm really good friends with and the reason why we became friends is not because I wanted to give her my friendship but because she earned it by being really nice, friendly and understanding, there may have been times when we've done some things that we both didn't like but we've always managed to remain good friends out of it and I am forever greatful that I have her as one of my friends, she even helped me cope with the situation I went through and now I know who my true friends are.

As for the guy who didn't want to associate with me at the bowling alley, he's not worth being friends with cause he wasn't the kind of person I thought he was and I have wrongfully judged him cause of his wealth and popularity, plus he lacks the personality, attitude and charisma that my female friend has, I do know who my true friends are after all.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
He was definitely being out of line. You should have called him out.
If I wasn't with my brother and our bowling friends I would've gotten on his case good, if I wasn't friends with a close online friend of mine I would've gone onto his MySpace page and chew him out and make him feel miserable for being a snobby stuck up coward, what he lost is what my friends ended up gaining and that is my friendship.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Being out of line for what? Looking away from her and talking to his other friends? He was with them, after all, and may have been also engaged in conversation with them when she approached him.

Putting yourself in the other person's shoes can go a long way towards preventing this sort of social malfunction in the first place.
If I was hanging out with my friends and somebody else was talking to me I would've politely have a conversation with that person and if there is a moment to where I couldn't chat with them I would politely let them know, I like being the good guy by being nice to people and treating them with respect, if it's somebody who I dislike I would tell them this.

"Listen I don't mean to sound rude but I don't really have alot of time for us to chat and I don't mean any offense or anything".

Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 AM

How far out of high school are you?

Do you think that your time and efforts might be better spent on things that actually matter rather than on bowling alley intrigue and My-
Space?

Sorry to have to point this out again, but the proper thing to have done was to have ended the conversation yourself when you noticed that his body and facial language were less than receptive.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
You know something--it doesn't matter. He may have been rude and snobby towards you. And you may have approached him at a bad time. In the future you might want to think about paying attention to facial and body language and gracefully exiting a conversation where it's obvious that the other person isn't into it. We've heard your side of it and that's it. I can't tell you how many times I've been approached by people I used to know and have been in the middle of something and couldn't get the person to take a hint that it was not an appropriate time for a conversation. This could have been the case here. It was in a bowling alley where he was apparently with friends and family. Yes, he could have said that it wasn't a good time, but maybe he really was trying to be polite by not just flat out telling you that he didn't have the time to talk to you.

Sorry but that is not for you to judge. And just because you approach someone doesn't mean that person owes you their undivided attention, especially if they are out with others. And maybe he picked up on your reasons for wanting to be friends with him in the first place.

Maybe he is tired of people wanting to be friends with him because of his wealth and popularity.

I do feel that I did took the situation the wrong way and acted like a total jerk about it, I did appear to be needy and I was the kind of guy who wanted to have alot of friends, I later realized that life isn't about wealth, popularity and having a ton of friends.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
How far out of high school are you?

Do you think that your time and efforts might be better spent on things that actually matter rather than on bowling alley intrigue and My-
Space?
Since 1999, he is one of the reasons why I'm not going to my high school reunion, before the incident I haven't seen him in several years, I do have other friends who like me for me and I like them for them, interestingly I have met those people through my brother and I am forever greatful for my brother introducing me to those people

Old 03-24-2008, 12:05 AM

Almost ten years out of high school...you're not going to your reunion because some guy didn't have time for you in a bowling alley. OK. Good luck with all that.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Almost ten years out of high school...you're not going to your reunion because some guy didn't have time for you in a bowling alley. OK. Good luck with all that.
And he's not the only one either, I've had a problems with a few others who had snubbed me off in the past.

Plus I do feel that the reason why I was judging him is cause of my friendship with my close online friend who has been there for me thick and thin and she is one of the strongest people I have ever met, I've learned alot about friendships through the friendship I have with her and I feel like she really does care alot for me, now I realized that I shouldn't of judged him and his friends cause of my close online friend.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
And he's not the only one either, I've had a problems with a few others who had snubbed me off in the past.
If you're almost ten years out of high school, you're around 27 years old. Time to get past high school and stop dwelling on this social ramifications of bowling alley interaction. Get involved in something real and worthwhile. The time you've spend hand wringing over some guy you knew way back when could have been better spent volunteering at an animal shelter or whatever else you might be interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships