Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:11 PM

522 posts, read 342,867 times

Advertisements

She says she does have a good job and no debt and is saving to buy a house.

She had a kid in her late 20s with a deadbeat (her words) who is no longer in their life. She has full custody.

She seems alright otherwise as we hit it off, but the living at home thing in her 30s thing is rare and I have never dated a single mom before.

Debating whether to proceed or move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 08:42 PM

7,075 posts, read 12,344,307 times
After the end of my 10 year relationship, I decided to try online dating 4 years ago (I was 34 years old then). I met an attractive woman with an 8 year old son online. We INSTANTLY hit it off. Today, we are married and our 2 month old daughter is asleep in my arms now as I type this message from my phone. By the way, my wife was a woman in her 30s who lived at home with her parents too.

At first, the living at home with her parents seemed "different" to me at our age. However, the alternative (at my age) would be to date a girl who just broke up with a guy that she had been living with. Parents house vs living with an ex? Yeah, I have a MUCH greater respect for the lady who stayed home (or on her own) until Mr Right showed up.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:55 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
She probably lives at home because her parents help babysit. It's not wrong for someone to live at home, even in their 30s, depending on their circumstances.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:55 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
She says she does have a good job and no debt and is saving to buy a house.

She had a kid in her late 20s with a deadbeat (her words) who is no longer in their life. She has full custody.

She seems alright otherwise as we hit it off, but the living at home thing in her 30s thing is rare and I have never dated a single mom before.

Debating whether to proceed or move on.
This is no longer unusual by any stretch of the imagination. At least not here in the land of $700,000 starter homes and $2,500 for a one bedroom.

Unless you are also living with your parents, then it might be up to you to spring for a motel room from time to time.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 PM

52,227 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Her living at home is probably convenient for her because she can probably get extra help with the child. Sometimes it's rough trying to juggle work and day care and she might get a certain level of support from her parents. It's not a bad thing for family to sorta pull together to help out with kids.... in fact, it's better than day care, in my most humble opinion.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
After the end of my 10 year relationship, I decided to try online dating 4 years ago (I was 34 years old then). I met an attractive woman with an 8 year old son online. We INSTANTLY hit it off. Today, we are married and our 2 month old daughter is asleep in my arms now as I type this message from my phone. By the way, my wife was a woman in her 30s who lived at home with her parents too.
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it work out well for you.

Quote:
At first, the living at home with her parents seemed "different" to me at our age. However, the alternative (at my age) would be to date a girl who just broke up with a guy that she had been living with. Parents house vs living with an ex? Yeah, I have a MUCH greater respect for the lady who stayed home (or on her own) until Mr Right showed up.
Good point! I did not think of it that way.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
She probably lives at home because her parents help babysit. It's not wrong for someone to live at home, even in their 30s, depending on their circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Her living at home is probably convenient for her because she can probably get extra help with the child. Sometimes it's rough trying to juggle work and day care and she might get a certain level of support from her parents. It's not a bad thing for family to sorta pull together to help out with kids.... in fact, it's better than day care, in my most humble opinion.
Ok that makes sense. I will admit that I have never been in a relationship with a single mom before so am a little apprehensive about that but she seems like a nice lady.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:28 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Quote:

Love this!

Old 01-13-2018, 09:47 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,947,750 times
It's only bad if its a man. From what I hear.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:56 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Don't judge her circumstance,date her and get to know her. See how she interacts with the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships