Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 10:44 PM

777 posts, read 452,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
On the 5th date? A French kiss is too pushy?

Well, to each her own I guess.
Yep. I thought I moved slowly. But I still wanted a physical demonstration of mutual attraction by the third or fourth date or so. Sometimes sooner was okay too. Didn't mean I was immediately jumping into bed, just wanted a sense it was wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 07:29 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Of course it was a date. I hate the way people dance around that with OLD. A "first meet," "meet for coffee/drinks," "get together for lunch" - all of them are dates, even if it's your first time meeting the person face-to-face and you never go out again. It is common for people to go on many first/last dates when dating.

Why do people make this kind of basic stuff more complicated than it needs to be?
Agreed. In fact, it's only on this forum where I've ever even seen or heard of the term "first meet." Everyone I know in real life just says, "I have a date" even if it's with a stranger they met online. I've never heard anyone actually say out loud in person, "I have a first meet." WTF is that?

Old 02-07-2018, 08:13 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,925,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Agreed. In fact, it's only on this forum where I've ever even seen or heard of the term "first meet." Everyone I know in real life just says, "I have a date" even if it's with a stranger they met online. I've never heard anyone actually say out loud in person, "I have a first meet." WTF is that?

It's a meeting to determine if one wants to have a date with someone. I don't hear it called "first meet" IRL, but people do say "I'm meeting someone tonight" and don't call it a date, when they don't know them, very frequently in my experience. It's a smart move, and it takes the pressure off of the situation.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:38 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,294,814 times
OP you didn't say what happened next, what were your response?

Be it a date to you or a meet up to him, whatever. I'd say next time let the guy pay. If he has a problem with this, pay up and move on, or just move on.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,886,085 times
To me this in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteGem View Post

I asked him if he wanted me to pay my share, he smiled and asked me is this a date.

I am not sure what the proper response would have been, did I say or do something offensive?
... is a breach of etiquette.

It's akin to a restaurant server taking away the bill with your cash payment and asking, "Do you want change?" which could be seen as disingenuously fishing for a tip. It would be better to just say, "I'll be back in a moment with your change..." which then gives the patron the chance to be "generous" and say, "Oh, just keep the change."

Be earnest, especially on "first meets" or first dates (whatever they are called), about paying your share if that is truly your intention. If not, don't even bring it up.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:26 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,597,969 times
Quote:
Had 5th date and didn't work out. He tried to kiss me with open mouth, personally find that a little too aggressive and pushy. Prefer someone who is gentler and wants to take the time to actually get to know me. Put ad back up and will have to try again for now. Pity.
Did he pay for all five dates?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:41 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,745,957 times
Quote:
Had 5th date and didn't work out. He tried to kiss me with open mouth, personally find that a little too aggressive and pushy. Prefer someone who is gentler and wants to take the time to actually get to know me. Put ad back up and will have to try again for now. Pity.
If you think an attempt at an open mouth kiss is not only "too soon" on a 5th date, but also a deal breaker, you're in for a big surprise.

Good on you for having standards but few men who are attracted to you are going to be a match with this pace.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:42 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's a meeting to determine if one wants to have a date with someone.
Yes, I understand that, because I see it used on this forum all the time. I'm just saying I don't hear it used in real life, which makes it not a real thing in my world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't hear it called "first meet" IRL, but people do say "I'm meeting someone tonight" and don't call it a date, when they don't know them, very frequently in my experience. It's a smart move, and it takes the pressure off of the situation.
Sure, I hear those terms used in real life, but they're pretty much understood to be the same thing as a date. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see people obsessing over definitions of encounters in real life the way they do on this forum, where many seem to think there is some specific difference between a "first meet" and a "first date." In real life it's just going out, hanging out, meeting, grabbing a drink, going to dinner, whatever, but it is all understood to fall under the general category of "date" when it's with someone you met on a freaking dating site. It's not like you're on there looking for golfing partners.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:02 AM

212 posts, read 162,125 times
I think that I offered to pay my share because when the check came he looked at me, whereas in the past the man gets the check without saying a word, in hindsight I think his behavior was tacky and will keep that in mind for when I meet someone new next time. I think when I am asked where I would like to meet, I will suggest a place and ask is this within your budget, so it's clear.

Yes he paid for the dinner dates and on the last one he brought a bouquet of flowers (something you would give to mom), not a romantic partner. It's the thought that counts but I like someone who is super romantic, and choice of flowers show this, more romantic imo means a more attentive partner.

He never tried to hold my hand or even kiss me before so it surprised me that he went to kiss me with open mouth. Personally I prefer when a man likes to hold your hand and is affectionate and gentle, not someone who goes from not even sharing any type of affection and expecting to me to want to kiss with open mouth. Major turn off.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:24 AM

235 posts, read 148,331 times
Well, it's because he paid for all your dates. Yeah. I don't think the guy is a good guy. I've had men pay for our meets well actually all of them. Only one did that to me and wow, while I did not feel he will rape me, that is a major turn off. Not open mouth though. A kissy lips with eyes closed. LOL, I laugh now I remember it. I was forced to kiss coz he won't get out of my car if I didn't. This is the same guy who said he wants to buy a house with me, huh?! And who said his ex called police on him several times, LOL. I was out of there real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships