Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:24 PM

69 posts, read 40,425 times

Advertisements

Could use some advice on this situation.

She started working in my company back in July last year.

She and I knew each other from work, collaborated on some projects and there was definitely attraction between us. I knew then she was married and during lunch one day we chatted about our lives growing up, relationships. She told me then that she wasn't happy in her marriage but was trying to make things work. We kept things friendly and we were then good friends. I could sense she was attracted to me and I was attracted to her as well but we never crossed that line.

Last week of August me and a group of friends from work were going to happy hour. Went to a bar nearby. I noticed she was there with some female friends of hers. We joined our groups and had a good time. I offered to give her a ride home. While driving there she told me she had separated from her husband and that they were going to get a divorce. I was sympathetic and offered some advice since I'm divorced and had a marriage fail already. Took her to the front of her building and said goodbye. We looked at each other as we were standing in front of her building, I pulled her close to me and gave her a kiss. It took her by surprise but she returned the kiss. I drove home.

Next week we went out. We definitely were attracted to each other and the kiss sparked something in us. We went out after that at least once a week and saw each other at work during lunch. I felt weird about starting something wit her being that she was still married. In my experience, it's never good to get attached to someone in that situation because they usually go back to their partners.

We kept going out, having a good time and we definitely had lot of chemistry and things in common. She said the L word. I was not there yet but could feel that I was falling for her.

Then in November something good and bad happened. I was promoted at work. Problem was that she became one of my direct reports. I took the promotion. I had worked hard for it but knew then I had to stop seeing her because of my new role in the company. We talked about things and agreed to not see each other because it was too dangerous and we could get fired.

We tried but we were too attracted to each other and would miss each other and go out, not as much as before but at least twice a month.

That's the situation I'm in.

She told me her husband is making a push for them to get back together. They have a kid and I would hate to be the reason why a family is broken. I told her I felt she needed to think things through and if there is any chance things can work out with him the should try. I said that but obviously it was hurting me to think she could be with someone else.

She said she didn't love him and loves me.

I'm not sure what to do here.

We work together. That's a big problem. Either she would need to move to another position or I would have to.

Then there's the situation with her marriage. I almost feel like we shouldn't be together until she gets a divorce.

There's also trust issues with me. She's so attractive and I see guys at work interested. It's always in the back of my mind that her and I did things soon after she separated. I hate to judge and perhaps I'm being too judgmental but I wish we had not done anything until much later. It just makes me think she could do the same to me with someone else if we were to get into a relationship and have problems.

So right now we are on a break. She texts me that she misses me and I miss her too.

If she files for divorce that would show she is serious about wanting to be with me.

She says she has started looking for other jobs and I've also looked at postings in other departments of the company.

Any advice is appreciated guys. This is obviously not an ideal situation. I feel like she has many good traits and I love being with her. Not sure if things would work out or not but it may be worth a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 08:27 PM

Just to add ... my trust issues are baggage I carry from my previous marriage.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean051 View Post
Could use some advice on this situation.

She started working in my company back in July last year.

She and I knew each other from work, collaborated on some projects and there was definitely attraction between us. I knew then she was married and during lunch one day we chatted about our lives growing up, relationships. She told me then that she wasn't happy in her marriage but was trying to make things work. We kept things friendly and we were then good friends. I could sense she was attracted to me and I was attracted to her as well but we never crossed that line.

Last week of August me and a group of friends from work were going to happy hour. Went to a bar nearby. I noticed she was there with some female friends of hers. We joined our groups and had a good time. I offered to give her a ride home. While driving there she told me she had separated from her husband and that they were going to get a divorce. I was sympathetic and offered some advice since I'm divorced and had a marriage fail already. Took her to the front of her building and said goodbye. We looked at each other as we were standing in front of her building, I pulled her close to me and gave her a kiss. It took her by surprise but she returned the kiss. I drove home.

Next week we went out. We definitely were attracted to each other and the kiss sparked something in us. We went out after that at least once a week and saw each other at work during lunch. I felt weird about starting something wit her being that she was still married. In my experience, it's never good to get attached to someone in that situation because they usually go back to their partners.

We kept going out, having a good time and we definitely had lot of chemistry and things in common. She said the L word. I was not there yet but could feel that I was falling for her.

Then in November something good and bad happened. I was promoted at work. Problem was that she became one of my direct reports. I took the promotion. I had worked hard for it but knew then I had to stop seeing her because of my new role in the company. We talked about things and agreed to not see each other because it was too dangerous and we could get fired.

We tried but we were too attracted to each other and would miss each other and go out, not as much as before but at least twice a month.

That's the situation I'm in.

She told me her husband is making a push for them to get back together. They have a kid and I would hate to be the reason why a family is broken. I told her I felt she needed to think things through and if there is any chance things can work out with him the should try. I said that but obviously it was hurting me to think she could be with someone else.

She said she didn't love him and loves me.

I'm not sure what to do here.

We work together. That's a big problem. Either she would need to move to another position or I would have to.

Then there's the situation with her marriage. I almost feel like we shouldn't be together until she gets a divorce.

There's also trust issues with me. She's so attractive and I see guys at work interested. It's always in the back of my mind that her and I did things soon after she separated. I hate to judge and perhaps I'm being too judgmental but I wish we had not done anything until much later. It just makes me think she could do the same to me with someone else if we were to get into a relationship and have problems.

So right now we are on a break. She texts me that she misses me and I miss her too.

If she files for divorce that would show she is serious about wanting to be with me.

She says she has started looking for other jobs and I've also looked at postings in other departments of the company.

Any advice is appreciated guys. This is obviously not an ideal situation. I feel like she has many good traits and I love being with her. Not sure if things would work out or not but it may be worth a shot.
It is not worth a shot.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the best times you two have had together are behind you.

The facts? She's married, she has a child, she works for you, and you have serious insecurity issues.

You've had a nice little affair, and you need to leave it at that. Anything going forward will only bring pain. Serious, real pain.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It is not worth a shot.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the best times you two have had together are behind you.

The facts? She's married, she has a child, she works for you, and you have serious insecurity issues.

You've had a nice little affair, and you need to leave it at that. Anything going forward will only bring pain. Serious, real pain.
Thanks for the reply.

Logically, I know what I should do.

She has shown me more love in a couple of months than my ex did in years of marriage. I feel like she could be the one. That's why I'm giving this so much thought. Of course, we would need to solve the work situation and her relationship. But I would her to end it if that's what she wants to do without me influencing it.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Logically, I know what I should do.

She has shown me more love in a couple of months than my ex did in years of marriage. I feel like she could be the one. That's why I'm giving this so much thought. Of course, we would need to solve the work situation and her relationship. But I would her to end it if that's what she wants to do without me influencing it.
I know you believe that's love.

I would like to suggest that you are reading into this situation something that isn't really there. You are letting your past pain blind you to the reality of what is happening.

She is using you to mask her own problems.

You need to resolve whatever happened to you before so that you can be a complete person in your next relationship and see things as they are, not as you wish them to be.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 PM

I agree in that I have issues from past relationship that are still unresolved. We all have baggage. I'm sure she does as well.

The fact that she says she is willing to divorce him and get another job so we can be together ... doesn't that say something?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I agree in that I have issues from past relationship that are still unresolved. We all have baggage. I'm sure she does as well.

The fact that she says she is willing to divorce him and get another job so we can be together ... doesn't that say something?
Her talking about getting a divorce and actually doing it are two different things.

Let her sort out her situation first. You may have a future, but you're trying to make it your "present." That's not gonna work.

You're also using her to repair your own past hurts. It's not a lasting love. Take a break, let her resolve her "baggage," and then see what happens.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Her talking about getting a divorce and actually doing it are two different things.

Let her sort out her situation first. You may have a future, but you're trying to make it your "present." That's not gonna work.

You're also using her to repair your own past hurts. It's not a lasting love. Take a break, let her resolve her "baggage," and then see what happens.
Ok. This is where I am right now.

I know it's best we stop until all these issues get resolved. Like you said saying one thing and doing is another.

If she actually goes through with it then it would mean she's serious.

Thanks Birdie.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Ok. This is where I am right now.

I know it's best we stop until all these issues get resolved. Like you said saying one thing and doing is another.

If she actually goes through with it then it would mean she's serious.

Thanks Birdie.
Sure

I KNOW it sucks. But you HAVE to use your head right now.

You have a promotion, which is a big deal, and she has a child, which is huge. You two haven't even known each other a year. Try to do whatever you can to dial this back and keep your head in the game.

Good luck

Old 01-14-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Sure

I KNOW it sucks. But you HAVE to use your head right now.

You have a promotion, which is a big deal, and she has a child, which is huge. You two haven't even known each other a year. Try to do whatever you can to dial this back and keep your head in the game.

Good luck
It sure sucks.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships