Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:38 PM

50,115 posts, read 63,506,690 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how come polygamists fear being prosecuted for their lifestyle, when no one prosecutes other people who have children out of wedlock?

In polygamy, I believe there is only a legal marriage to the first wife, for obvious reasons, then others are just wives from a private ceremony of some kind.

So why is this worse than some married guy who fathers children by many women and then doesn't even take care of them?

I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 02:50 PM

2,437 posts, read 6,997,110 times
Actually I believe Polygamy is where they "legally" take a second and third wife.. that is why it is against the law. They actually marry their second and third wife legally in the church. I think other then that.. they would probably be left alone as it is according to the law.. but then you have to look at the moral issue that people feel it is wrong to be in a relationship with more then one person at a time. It is no different when you are married and having an affair with another person. Look at all of the stuff going down that is now in the public eye .. (New York Governors "both of them now, new and old").

I dont think people see it any worse or any better then being adultrous.. I think it is all the same.. the only other part of it is.. the legal marriages that are made which are against the law.. that is why they get prosecuted.

I could be wrong.. but I am sure someone will correct me if I am

Old 03-21-2008, 03:02 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,007,423 times
As long as all parties are consenting and 18 and older, I'm not sure why it should be illegal.

As for me, I have one wife. Trust me. That's enough.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:10 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,738,402 times
I have no objections to polygamy, under certain circumstances. Those would have to include no forced marriages or underage marriages. Also, I think they should be ineligible for welfare. If you can afford more than one wife, you can afford to not be supported by the government.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:46 PM

2,437 posts, read 6,997,110 times
Oh.. and I think it is okay.. we all should have the option to sleep with someone new each night.. (male and females alike) if that is how we want it without being judged! (now dont get me wrong, I wouldnt do it.. but I wouldnt judge anyone negatively for doing it)

Old 03-21-2008, 09:30 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,949,955 times
I don't see the sense in many of the laws--even when I don't agree with them! I'm not an advocate of prostitution, either, but don't understand why money changing hands should somehow make it worse than folks just sleeping around! Most of these laws are "political" and have nothing to do with reality!

Old 03-22-2008, 01:56 PM

21,951 posts, read 19,076,968 times
Multiple marriages are not legal, so it's breaking the law.

Also there are areas where many practicing polygamists have sex with underage girls, children really, often sisters or cousins of existing wives, who are forced into the sex and forced into the marriage. This is a BIG PROBLEM on a lot of levels. It is basically girls being forced into slavery, because often they are in remote areas without social services and the girls can not escape.

Hopefully you can see that is far more and far worse than "just sleeping around" or "Just sleeping around and having kids out of wedlock."

Old 03-22-2008, 04:31 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,152,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I have no objections to polygamy, under certain circumstances. Those would have to include no forced marriages or underage marriages. Also, I think they should be ineligible for welfare. If you can afford more than one wife, you can afford to not be supported by the government.
On top of that, you shouldn't get special treatment just for getting married. A couple may love each other more than their married neighbors, yet, they don't get the same benefits a married couple does. That is BS.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:01 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,007,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Multiple marriages are not legal, so it's breaking the law.

Also there are areas where many practicing polygamists have sex with underage girls, children really, often sisters or cousins of existing wives, who are forced into the sex and forced into the marriage. This is a BIG PROBLEM on a lot of levels. It is basically girls being forced into slavery, because often they are in remote areas without social services and the girls can not escape.

Hopefully you can see that is far more and far worse than "just sleeping around" or "Just sleeping around and having kids out of wedlock."
What you're really saying is that it's against the law because it's against the law.

You won't get any argument from me about minors being forced to wed. However, if the girl is 18 and enters into a polygamous marriage of her own free will, then I don't understand how the state can say no.

And that's kind of the problem. The state continuously inserts itself into matters of personal morality, when its only legitimate interest is ensuring that others are not physically harmed due to the actions of one person.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 11,342 times
Default Tony Alamo explains Polygamy from the Bible

Program #609
Revelation 22:16 Jesus is the root and offspring of David (the Polygamist)
Why would Jesus Holy God himself brag about being the root and the offspring of David the Polygamist.
Why would Jesus The Almighty God put the name of the 12 tribes of Israel –the Polygamists over all the gates. Rev 21:10-12.
These who got victory over the beast sing the song of Moses – the polygamist.
Moses the Polygamist was a man of God. Ex 33:1
Gideon was a Polygamist.
God has given this land to Israel the Polygamist. He didn’t give it to any gentile or Baptist preacher that says that people today are not prophets and people today don’t have the power of God. You Baptists are like Catholics and you better repent once and for all.

Tony Alamo's Audio Programs #600-614 (http://www.alamoministries.com/audiomessages/programs7.htm - broken link)

[url=http://www.alamoministries.com/rss/tonyalamo.xml]Pastor Tony Alamo's programs[/url]
Program #614
The Lord doesn’t require people to become polygamists and most people should never be a polygamist or have many wives. But if you say that is not of the Lord then you are naive or a devil. Because it’s plain that the Word of God is the Lord’s flesh and the life is in His blood which is the Spirit.
Whosoever eateth My flesh and drinketh My blood, ver.54 ch.6 of John, has eternal life. Eating His flesh is eating the Word of God. The Law of Moses never condemns a man that has many wives. Samuel's father had two wives. A Polygamist.
If you say that is only the Old Testament no it isn’t, the Book of Revelation states that the 12 tribes of Israel, came from a Polygamist, if you think that’s evil then your not going to make it into the Kingdom of Heaven. Because that happens to be the flesh of the Lord, whosoever eateth My flesh – that is the Word of God and drinketh My blood – which is the Spirit, has eternal life.

[url=http://www.alamoministries.com/content/english/Gospel_literature/manywives.html]The Many Wives of the Holy Men of God (The Polygamists)[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships