Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:36 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I think there's an inherent awkwardness in knowing up front that the person you're meeting up with is looking for a relationship of some sort, and with knowing that they know that about you.

Meeting someone in person is much more organic. Not knowing the person's story ahead of time makes it much easier to completely be yourself.
That has never been my experience. It is very individual. Meeting someone in-person did little to spark true interest, as physical attraction alone does not pique genuine dating and GTKY interest for me. I can recognize someone is pleasing to the eye and yet have no interest in pursuing them on that basis alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 10:30 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, it's real. The person is really there, right in front of you. The person isn't a series of images on a computer screen and a bunch of typed or texted words. You can see each other in motion. You can smell each other. You physically feel the person's energy and even body warmth. There is more to be attracted to as the "whole" person is there right with you.
I said the experience is real. Hence "it's" real (not "s/he" is real.) The person is right there for in front of you. You are really experiencing the person's physical presence as your first impression or first few impressions. Your experience of the person is not one-dimensional image series and written text. I agree...facepalm. Because my child could get that concept. But OTOH my child would not have facepalmed dramatically over basically nothing...well, maybe when he was younger.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I think there's an inherent awkwardness in knowing up front that the person you're meeting up with is looking for a relationship of some sort, and with knowing that they know that about you.

Meeting someone in person is much more organic. Not knowing the person's story ahead of time makes it much easier to completely be yourself.
I didn't do much online dating but with the few people I did meet online, I felt the same way. I'm not sure why. It should have been easier "knowing" what the person wanted sight unseen but for some reason it felt a tad awkward.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:18 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Quote:

It hard to understand that until I compare it with meeting girls through Meetup singles groups. It's just weird and awkward for some reason. On paper it seems perfect. But if you join a club or activity not related to dating or being single, for some reason that works better.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:29 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Do you first meet someone at work with the intention of dating? It's more of an organic thing. You don't start talking knowing that there is an intention of dating, it's more about work stuff, of basic getting to know you conversations. With OLD you both have an intention of dating, there's more pressure there.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:43 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you first meet someone at work with the intention of dating? It's more of an organic thing. You don't start talking knowing that there is an intention of dating, it's more about work stuff, of basic getting to know you conversations. With OLD you both have an intention of dating, there's more pressure there.
That’s also why I like OLD. There’s no beating around the bush since we both know why we’re on there.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
That’s also why I like OLD. There’s no beating around the bush since we both know why we’re on there.
See, that's what I actually didn't like about it.

I like a little romance and a little mystery and a little mutual discovery...do I like him? Does he like me? And all the butterflies.

I guess you can get that on OLD but a few of the big questions are taken away and it just feels a little less like an adventure, to me.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:03 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
See, that's what I actually didn't like about it.

I like a little romance and a little mystery and a little mutual discovery...do I like him? Does he like me? And all the butterflies.

I guess you can get that on OLD but a few of the big questions are taken away and it just feels a little less like an adventure, to me.
For me, IRL just has never panned out in regards to dating. I either find out they’re not single, not into me, or not interested in dating anybody right now.

Also, I don’t using OLD means the big questions are taken away, necessarily.

Btw, welcome back, JerZ! Hadn’t seen you around these parts in a while

Old 01-20-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
For me, IRL just has never panned out in regards to dating. I either find out they’re not single, not into me, or not interested in dating anybody right now.

Also, I don’t using OLD means the big questions are taken away, necessarily.

Btw, welcome back, JerZ! Hadn’t seen you around these parts in a while
Thanks! <3

I guess it could be the timing, too. I mean the historic timing. I haven't dated since 2002. So maybe things really have just changed in that amount of time...?

But I just never was wild about OLD. Most dating experiences didn't ultimately work out from RL meetings either, I guess, for me, in the technical sense...IOW, we obviously broke up at some point. But I felt easier about the experience overall, and how it unfolded.

As for work, that was a rare one for me. I dated a few people I knew from companies that did business with mine but I didn't really date anyone who was AT my place of business. Just one guy, one time and he was way too old for me. It took convincing on my part and once we were together the differences were extremely apparent, I really did feel like he was my father.

Other than that, I didn't really date anyone I was going to have to see after a breakup in that way but I did see other people meet this way, and marry. My sister met her first husband through work. Actually, they worked in the same department. It used to be kind of a regular thing. I knew so many married couples in those days who had met at work.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:12 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Proximity.

That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships