Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:22 AM

602 posts, read 395,928 times

Advertisements

I'd love a "man-cave"/gaming room. Yours is too dark though. Gaming/computer-ing in the dark is murder on the eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfRescuingPrincess View Post
I'd love a "man-cave"/gaming room. Yours is too dark though. Gaming/computer-ing in the dark is murder on the eyes.
Just curious, how do you get immersed in the game if you lights outside the game? seriously to me it's like the effect of being in a movie theater(Without the annoying people getting up to go to the restroom or get snacks AFTER THE MOVIE HAS STARTED!!!).
Yes with my ADHD the hyper focus would kick in but the immersion happens faster in that setting. though its not really as dark as the photo looks, with the 2 lights on the desk, one is a black light the other one of those salt rock lights, I like them cause they are nice and soft and easy on my eyes. kind of like candle light on the brightness scale.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:08 PM

602 posts, read 395,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Just curious, how do you get immersed in the game if you lights outside the game? seriously to me it's like the effect of being in a movie theater(Without the annoying people getting up to go to the restroom or get snacks AFTER THE MOVIE HAS STARTED!!!).
Yes with my ADHD the hyper focus would kick in but the immersion happens faster in that setting. though its not really as dark as the photo looks, with the 2 lights on the desk, one is a black light the other one of those salt rock lights, I like them cause they are nice and soft and easy on my eyes. kind of like candle light on the brightness scale.
I don't have a problem getting immersed with the lights on. Granted it probably depends on the type of game. When I play, it's usually some king of RPG. Just playing it gets me immersed (unless it's crappy). I don't do horror movies or games and I imagine they are better watched/played in a darker environment.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Having one's own space is fine.

It being the space where most of one's time is spent would give me pause. Because I would feel like spending time with a partner would be low priority.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
We both have 3 bedroom places. My other bedroom is a guest room - with family out of town, it's nice to have. I live out in the boonies with the closest decent hotel about half an hour away. So if we were to buy a new place together, I'd be looking for a 4 bedroom or some other extra room.
Funny guest rooms never occur to me lol.

And the guy I'm talking about who showed me his mancave (sort of) inherited the house he lives in his parents downsized when they retired and sold him the house for way under market value(but twice as much as they paid for the house in 1967). but anyway it was a 4 bedroom house but he knocked a wall down removed a door re dry-walled turning 2 rooms into one big room and that's the room that is now his game room. so now it's a 3 bedroom house.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:19 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I don't care about mancaves. But honestly, the outside of your house creeps me out. I would worry that if I step inside I never see daylight again. It needs some serious love.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:24 PM

888 posts, read 555,517 times
Doesn't bug me at all. My husband has a man room. He does IT work so works from home in there sometimes, and also has a huge TV for shows and to play games. Yes, he does play video games sometimes, and my boy will sometimes play with him as well. He keeps it fairly clean, as in if I went in I wouldn't be scared or anything.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfRescuingPrincess View Post
I don't have a problem getting immersed with the lights on. Granted it probably depends on the type of game. When I play, it's usually some king of RPG. Just playing it gets me immersed (unless it's crappy). I don't do horror movies or games and I imagine they are better watched/played in a darker environment.
I've been playing a lot of "state of decay" which is basically like "grand theft auto" with zombies roaming around. and fallout 4, which is post apocalyptic in a different way. and "watchers 2" which is kinda like GTA for hackers so the darkness sets the mood.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't care about mancaves. But honestly, the outside of your house creeps me out. I would worry that if I step inside I never see daylight again. It needs some serious love.
How so? I don'y have a moat or bodies hanging from tree's or anything lol and keep in mind
this photo was taken before blew all the dirt and grass off the driveway, I recently bought battery powered mowers and weed eaters so I cut and trim my yard more often cause I can do it at night.

Last edited by cyphorx; 01-22-2018 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 12:40 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
I'd be 100% fine with a guy having a man cave but I would want it to look so much cooler! I'd want like 30 superhero posters on the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships