Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 11:17 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
Are they ever blindsided by this?

What I meant is you know yourself, so why give it more time if you know you aren’t going to have feelings?

What is “in love”? I am asking a serious question here—but isn’t love caring for someone and wanting the best? I think it is over-used and am wondering if the reason people don’t find what they are looking for is because they are looking for something that is not lasting. Friendship, compatibility and caring, along with sexual attraction—what is the difference?

I am curious, not trying to be snarky. I have been thinking a lot about this lately. Seems to me that that is what love is.
Here's my take, FWIW.

If you have to convince yourself (not you, Inacitysomewhere, but the general "you") with logic like the above, you're pushing things to be "okay" even though something is missing.

IMO and IME, when it's there...it's there. It may not be there in 5 minutes, no, LOL. But...one doesn't have to logic it to an extreme in order to think "yes, this relationship is right." SOME introspection, absolutely, but...then there's a place where that crosses a line to: sometimes even if all the elements are technically in place, all the boxes are checked of...it just isn't "the one" as far as relationships go.

It happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 11:24 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
but...then there's a place where that crosses a line to: sometimes even if all the elements are technically in place, all the boxes are checked of...it just isn't "the one" as far as relationships go.

It happens.

Yes, yes it does. And it really sucks, because it is really hard to find all those things coming together, and often you (I, or a person) really really wants to be in love with such a person because of all these great components, and it working so well, but it's just not there... it's really a downer.

Breaking up with someone because something is "wrong" is much easier.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:30 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, yes it does. And it really sucks, because it is really hard to find all those things coming together, and often you (I, or a person) really really wants to be in love with such a person because of all these great components, and it working so well, but it's just not there... it's really a downer.

Breaking up with someone because something is "wrong" is much easier.
I know. It really does.

There just has to be that extra...something. Checking off all the boxes down the columns doesn't an enduring romantic/sexual relationship make. And yes...it's harder to have to hurt someone who has been nothing but good and kind.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:30 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I know. It really does.

There just has to be that extra...something. Checking off all the boxes down the columns doesn't an enduring romantic/sexual relationship make. And yes...it's harder to have to hurt someone who has been nothing but good and kind.

My really good female friend from this past summer told me the same thing. She's in a relationship with a guy who had that extra something you speak of. She even told me that she loved me, and I checked off a lot of the right boxes for her, but from a relationship standpoint, something was just missing. She couldn't put a finger on to what was missing, but she knew I wasn't the long-term solution for her. I was a really good short-term fix for a long-term problem.

In hindsight, I'm kinda glad it worked out, whether it was in my favor or not in my favor. It gave me the opportunity to look at my life and make some decisions on how it will look going forward. As much as I cared about her, I had to respect her wishes and let her move on. Now she's with someone who makes her happy and gives her that extra something.

Sometimes life just doesn't work out the way that we intended and no matter how hard we push for things to be different, they may just stay the same.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:27 AM

107 posts, read 69,373 times
so, i met up with her friday to talk things over.

she said sometimes she feels like we have a connection, but other times we dont do having different perspective on things.

for example, i said my biggest concern at work is getting fired. she says hers is doing a bad job. I dont worry about doing a bad job, as im pretty established in my career.

anyways, difference in perspectives like this were a big deal to her.

she also mentioned a few other off hand tiny comments as red flags to her. for example, i recently had heart surgery at 31 years old. when i returned to work, my new boss was on my ass and told me that i had to work more hours then both HR and the VP of our group said i could work when i returned to work early. he wanted me to work 55 right back from heart surgery, it was agreed on prior to my return that I could work 20 and under no circumstance could i work hours outside of business hours. remember, this was my first week back from heart surgery. He got officially reprimanded by HR by telling me that i was not allowed to leave work until certain assignments were done(13 horu days)

she said it was a huge red flag that i had a conflict at work. and argued that he was in the right and i should of done what he said.

she also said that sometimes she was distant cuz she was seeing others, but wanted me to know that im the only guy she was sleeping with.

after reflecting on the situation, i ended things. I am glad i met up with her in person as i would of second guessed myself, but i felt the things she was holding over my head like i listed were so small and that she was being extremely judgmental and i was not going to have fun hanging out with her going forward when i cant talk about things like this for her.

also, i felt like she put little effort into dating me other than giving me tons of oral. like little contact if any between dates . for example, she would text me a pic of herself and id respond. and she would non respond. i felt like i was being used for validation rather than her actually wanting to talk to me.

i told her both of my above sentiments and said i dont think we are compatable romantically and left

Old 02-04-2018, 03:59 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,602 times
Good decision. I agree with all that you addressed in your last post. Now you can find a woman who wants you for you without all the petty immaturity.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
Good decision. I agree with all that you addressed in your last post. Now you can find a woman who wants you for you without all the petty immaturity.
i dont second guess my decision at all. the only thing i wonder is if i was just too nice to this woman and she thought she could walk all over me and come and go as she pleases.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:57 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpero824 View Post
i dont second guess my decision at all. the only thing i wonder is if i was just too nice to this woman and she thought she could walk all over me and come and go as she pleases.
IMO, this reflects on her poor character more than you.

Good luck as you move on!

Old 02-05-2018, 06:18 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpero824 View Post

She was digging for tiny bits because she couldn't give the real reason. You were a good company until someone better comes along. She was ridding cow looking for horse, good that you ended it.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
She was digging for tiny bits because she couldn't give the real reason. You were a good company until someone better comes along. She was ridding cow looking for horse, good that you ended it.
the weird thing was that i gave her an easy out when i kinda spazzed over text and ended things.and she texted me all week convincing me to meet up . from my experience, normally when women are just stringing you along, they dont put up with any of that bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships