Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:53 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times

Advertisements

For those of you that don't know what emotional load means, it means when you have feelings for someone and you wait for their text, call, or are always wondering who they might be seeing and what not. An emotional load for text messaging would be waiting and looking to see when someone you are interested in texts you.

So if someone tells you (where dating has occurred):

"I don't feel an emotional load with you. For example when I text you, and I see you don't respond soon after, I think to myself 'Oh he must be busy which is why he isn't responding.'"

But isn't that an emotional load in itself? When I text someone that I have no emotional load towards (most people) I don't for a split second think to myself about that stuff. I send them a text, put my phone down and don't think about when, or why they aren't responding right away. Only with guys I am interested in do I wonder when or why they haven't gotten back to me.

There is this guy the I recently met that said this and I is confused. He also told me that he gets jealous when I am with other guys, but then the next day makes it a point to tell me that if I were to date someone he wouldn't feel jealous at all. But then he texts me every day, and if I bring up a guy's name he's curious to know who he is and how we met.

I am not pursuing this at all. Don't have time for games, moving on. It's just his whole emotional load comment, I felt made no sense. Or am I reading it wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:59 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Thanks for the explanation. I thought "emotional LOAD" meant something else, LOl. I cant keep up these Millennial slang's.

Emotional load= anticipation.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I thought "emotional LOAD" meant something else, LOl. I cant keep up these Millennial slang's.

Emotional load= anticipation.
Haha sorry for any confusion. Yes, it means anticipation/anxiety over someone.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:12 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I've never heard of "emotional load."

I've heard of "mental load" and "emotional labor." But those are different.

It just sounds like anxiety made worse by insecurity, and people who aren't good at modulating/regulating their emotions are gonna have this so-called "emotional load." But it's not a good thing. It's not something anyone should WISH to have.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

It just sounds like anxiety made worse by insecurity, and people who aren't good at modulating/regulating their emotions are gonna have this so-called "emotional load." But it's not a good thing. It's not something anyone should WISH to have.

Yeah, he's insecure for sure. I just found that comment so perplexing. He's telling me he has no emotional load, by giving me an example of him experiencing emotional load towards me? Did I interpret that right?

Old 01-30-2018, 09:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Yeah, he's insecure for sure. I just found that comment so perplexing. He's telling me he has no emotional load, by giving me an example of him experiencing emotional load towards me? Did I interpret that right?
Not really.

It just sounds like he's trying to hard to show that he is secure, which ends up revealing him to be insecure.

That doesn't sound like 'emotional load' as you've described it, though.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:30 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Some people are too insecure to speak up and say what they really mean, so they give everything a hipster label to counterfeit their real feelings. Do not ever form a relationship with these type of people. You will spend all your time trying to figure out the truth of what they feel, believe and think.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:54 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
I may not be following, but if emotional load means in part anticipating a response from someone you've contacted, are we now defining that as bad? Interest is bad? Hoping some nascent feelings are reciprocated is bad? Maybe I'm confused?

Old 01-30-2018, 10:00 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

I've used the term "emotionally invested" before. I guess it just means you care. I don't get hung up on the time it takes to get texted back as I am not dating 13 year old girls who live on their phone.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I may not be following, but if emotional load means in part anticipating a response from someone you've contacted, are we now defining that as bad? Interest is bad? Hoping some nascent feelings are reciprocated is bad? Maybe I'm confused?
I don't think it's bad at all. It's just telling someone you don't have that emotional load, and you giving them an example that you might? I think that is where my confusion lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships