Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:30 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's an interesting conundrum. My sister's 2nd husband was much more of a father to her two children than their biological father ever was. He was in their lives for 15 years, coached their teams, went on vacations, etc., and when he left my sister he completely cut ties with them as well. He wasn't legally obligated to them at all (nor should he have been,) but that he could just walk away without a word and without ever looking back was telling as to who he was a man and a person.
Yes. I can’t imagine the pain to a child when things like that happen.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:38 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
What an incredible thread. Made up numbers followed by "statistics don't lie" statements, followed by "correlation" as proof, yet no hard evidence of even the correlation, never mind causation. Add some flawed "biological truth" statements and one gets what is everything wrong with the fringe and promotion of fake news on the internet.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:41 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Not yet. France banned it and some other countries are limiting it.

It's one of those things favorable to men that will most likely be targeted at some point.

France hasn't banned it. You just need a court order.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
How do you KNOW they are negatively correlated?
Probably those fringetinfoilhat[dot]com statistics.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
You've agreed that asking for a paternity test is grounds for divorce. Now you are saying otherwise, because it turned out when you said that you were actually agreeing with my point. No need to backpedal, since you've already said you agree with my point.
I facetiously said so, yes. I really, really doubt that's on the law books. Please for goodness' sake tell me you didn't actually, literally believe I was saying there should be such a law. 'K? Redeem my faith in humanity over here. (Hint: that was facetiousness too. I can't believe stuff like this needs to be explained.)

Would I likely divorce a man who literally was saying it was just as likely as not that I'd poinked some random guy and was lying to him about his own child being his? Uh, yes! No doubt. Do I think most women should feel this way about it? Absolutely! But I'm not most women. Women will make their own decisions on this. My "shoulds" won't have anything to do with it if and when that time comes.

What is your point here? "Backpedal"? (giggle) Oh the drama. Your "point" seems to be that it's just totes unfairz that a guy can't demand a paternity test AND have some sort of guarantee that such a slap in the face wouldn't get him divorced. I am sorry...but I don't think there's a way to federally mandate that.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
But if he wants to keep it in tact he does not have the option of using the test. You've already agreed to that.

Why is agreeing with someone considered such a crime on boards like this?
Because that's not what we're saying...?

I mean...HTH.

Yes, SOME guys absolutely will have "the option" (why have we gotten so 1984 over here?) of keeping their marriages intact even if they ask for a paternity test. People stay together through some pretty drastic stuff.

WE (a few of us) are saying WE wouldn't stay and that we kinda wish to hell any self-respecting spouse felt this way...but we're by no means saying that's how things would play out for all couples.

WE'RE not every single person and there will in fact be people who stick together even if politely accused of shkrewin' the mailman and handed a swab. Why on earth do you keep saying no man will be able to "ask" for a paternity test and keep his marriage intact?...and then using two random people who aren't from a trailer park, on some internet forum, who wouldn't accept such accusation, as proof?

It's gotten weird around here.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
There are conflicting studies as to the percentages of people who do not know if they are raising their bio children or not.

Like all studies, the outcome is totally dependent on the methodology and statistical data type acquired.

I have zero skin in whatever is going on in this thread, but for those who care to look I can remember at least three studies on this topic on the last 15 years.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the groups who conducted these studies since I really don’t keep myself up in these kind of topics.
I'm just wondering how ANY actual "data" of any reliability whatsoever can be given on all men across the planet when all men across the planet and their children have not been given DNA tests to support the "data."

If that data doesn't exist then what we have are estimates. And what are those estimates based on? People who already have SUCH A STRONG suspicion of foul play that they are demanding DNA tests...either the woman demanding it to enforce child support on a runner, or a man demanding it because he's pretty sure his woman is doing someone else. This WON'T constitute the majority of men worldwide so there's no way such estimates can cross over to the general population. Just none.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:40 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I facetiously said so, yes. I really, really doubt that's on the law books. Please for goodness' sake tell me you didn't actually, literally believe I was saying there should be such a law. 'K? Redeem my faith in humanity over here. (Hint: that was facetiousness too. I can't believe stuff like this needs to be explained.)

Would I likely divorce a man who literally was saying it was just as likely as not that I'd poinked some random guy and was lying to him about his own child being his? Uh, yes! No doubt. Do I think most women should feel this way about it? Absolutely! But I'm not most women. Women will make their own decisions on this. My "shoulds" won't have anything to do with it if and when that time comes.

What is your point here? "Backpedal"? (giggle) Oh the drama. Your "point" seems to be that it's just totes unfairz that a guy can't demand a paternity test AND have some sort of guarantee that such a slap in the face wouldn't get him divorced. I am sorry...but I don't think there's a way to federally mandate that.
When a man discovers after a divorce that a child is not biologically his(not an adoption or sperm donor situation) should he be legally required to pay child support?

Old 02-05-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Obviously the question is in regards to cases where the father does not know until the breakup that he is not the biological father. And he has no ability to establish paternity at birth because wanting to do so is grounds for a break up in and of itself. And mandatory testing is too expensive, Orwellian or otherwise not acceptable.

In this context should a man still be legally required to pay support for the child?
What the.....?

How many more ultra-specific conditions are you going to put into this imaginary scenario in order to force it to fit your "o the humanity" objections?

'Cause it's taking an awful lot so far.

Not for nothing, but really that ought to be your tipoff.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Bio parents have rights and responsibilities. If everything was done legally and properly I'm not sure how it could hurt adoptive fathers?

I do not care about enforcement I just believe the option to DIY these tests should always be there. That is favorable to men because they do not have to have the consent of the mother.
The option IS there.

This is a non-argument.

It's like fighting like mad to keep the sky from suddenly becoming orange and purple with silvery polka-dots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships