Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 12:30 AM

19,423 posts, read 15,231,592 times

Advertisements

Oh, god, I can't take it anymore. You guys, just shut uuuuupppppp! Get over yourselves! It's just a fun little day! You don't have to spend millions!

Good Lord and thank God I don't have to put with the whining that goes on here!

I'm addressing this to ANY of you men out there who will put out one OUNCE of effort to make life just a LITTLE bit of fun here and there! God forbid we morosely go through life strictly and strategically, marching to the inevitable BORING, BLAND end!

I'm a woman and I LOVE to make little occasions special. Inexpensively! JFC, some of you are the equivalent of a lady boner killer! Grow the eff up! lmao

Belated Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! Knock your socks off! Kiss each other, appreciate each other, be thankful for each other, blah blah blah, etc.!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rant OVER.

lol

Old 02-20-2018, 05:59 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I dislike Valentine’s Day and I’ll tell you why. Why would a man like a holiday which is solely based on the obligation they have to bye a wife or girlfriend cards, candy and expensive dinners at crowded restaurants. The commercials on TV make it worse by running up expectations women have for thier men. A woman often does nothing or very little for Valentine’s Day which is acceptable but if a man passes on the female centric holiday he might find himself single. Let’s look at it this way, what about the holiday is there for men to like? I’m sure I’m about to get lambasted by the ladies in here with “don’t you want to show your wife you love her”, or “it is only once a year”. Well I don’t need to spend 200 dollars and deal with a lot of headaches to show my wife I love her. I promise you she knows I do. I don’t need a useless heavily marketed Hallmark holiday to prove it to her.
So basically, you decided to write the same thing 50 other people have already said but in your OWN words.

Dilly dilly!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Oh, god, I can't take it anymore. You guys, just shut uuuuupppppp! Get over yourselves! It's just a fun little day! You don't have to spend millions!

Good Lord and thank God I don't have to put with the whining that goes on here!

I'm addressing this to ANY of you men out there who will put out one OUNCE of effort to make life just a LITTLE bit of fun here and there! God forbid we morosely go through life strictly and strategically, marching to the inevitable BORING, BLAND end!

I'm a woman and I LOVE to make little occasions special. Inexpensively! JFC, some of you are the equivalent of a lady boner killer! Grow the eff up! lmao

Belated Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! Knock your socks off! Kiss each other, appreciate each other, be thankful for each other, blah blah blah, etc.!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rant OVER.

lol

Well who said that men are the ones that need to make an effort. Women can also do something for their men for Valentines' day as well.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:01 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I dislike Valentine’s Day and I’ll tell you why. Why would a man like a holiday which is solely based on the obligation they have to bye a wife or girlfriend cards, candy and expensive dinners at crowded restaurants. The commercials on TV make it worse by running up expectations women have for thier men. A woman often does nothing or very little for Valentine’s Day which is acceptable but if a man passes on the female centric holiday he might find himself single. Let’s look at it this way, what about the holiday is there for men to like? I’m sure I’m about to get lambasted by the ladies in here with “don’t you want to show your wife you love her”, or “it is only once a year”. Well I don’t need to spend 200 dollars and deal with a lot of headaches to show my wife I love her. I promise you she knows I do. I don’t need a useless heavily marketed Hallmark holiday to prove it to her.
I agree with you 100 %. But I guess it is important for a guy to date women whose lives are not governed by TV commercials and who don't care about the Hallmark moment. I know those are hard to find in the US but it is possible...

Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The stereotypical stuff that people think of when they think of V-Day - flowers, candy, writing out your feelings - isn't stuff that falls into most men's wheelhouse.

And yes, marketers have made it a VERY high-expectation holiday.
So I was just commenting to my wife the other day (she doesn't care for Valentine's Day, btw...or any Hallmark holiday) that I have seen WAY less advertising for this VDay than normal.

Way less.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:21 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times
Another reason for V Day hate, is that lavish gift requirements aren't imposed equally on all men, and men know it. Naturally desirable men, with Chad Thunder being the best example, aren't required to buy anything. That's if they get into a relationship. Heck, if Chad Thunder buys a card and a Hershey's chocolate bar from Dollar Tree, he'll still be praised for it, verbally and otherwise, for "showing his sensitive side". For a lot of women, such men's companionship is its own reward, gifts or no gifts.

Not so with stable provider men. Women settle down with them to gain a stable life, rather than out of sexual desire. They make up the majority of men. For such men, V Day becomes a test of his ability to provide a stable life. If he doesn't buy lavish presents, it means he's a bad provider, and settling down with him was a mistake. Hence, the doghouse. And because a woman isn't naturally attracted to a stable provider, getting lavish presents becomes a stand-in for the sexual desire she would otherwise feel.

Obviously, every couple operates differently. But if you look at it from the evolutionary biology's point of view, this would be it.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-20-2018 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 10:45 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How so? Russell Stover sells the ones that are all "creams" or "caramels" and the ones that are all nuts. I'm sure the other brands do, too.
All I could find were small heart shaped box of Hershey Deluxe Cheesecake kisses. Bought three for my children. Went to another store and was able to find Ghirardelli squares. Probably visited 4 stores and most have "collections" of chocolates with some having nuts... ugh.

My wife and I are recently separated but I'm trying to keep it somewhat normal between us.... whatever that means. We are on friendly terms.. albeit trying to find our way. We do small dinners together, mostly to catch up on kid stuff and planning family things.

Our anniversary passed, I still took her out for dinner and bought her a gift (pink pearl bracelet to match a previous gift I got her a while ago). Valentines day passed, I bought her some flowers and the box of Ghirardelli chocolate squares.

This time things were different. I had a long day at work (normal for me). She had dinner waiting (she doesn't like to cook) and after the kids were asleep, she shared some of the chocolates. Then she gave me a gift... a bottle of cologne.

We got married 17 years ago and known each other for nearly 20 years. This is the first time she actually bought me something on any anniversary nor Vday..... I'm not quite sure what to make of it now.... Still went out and met friends afterwards for Valentines day (couldn't bail on them.. didn't want to); it was on my mind though.. I told her that I appreciated a lot...

Weird Vday this was...

Old 02-20-2018, 10:58 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well who said that men are the ones that need to make an effort. Women can also do something for their men for Valentines' day as well.
Many of us have been saying this for some time now on this thread.

If a guy is on his knees spending half a grand on a woman who shrugs and does nothing in return, he is clearly courting the wrong woman.

MOST of us women who love our SOs like to do nice things for them, and of those who like to celebrate Valentine's Day, we absolutely do buy and/or give things to our SOs just as they do for us. I haven't really seen anyone so far on this thread say "yes, I expect expensive stuff from my man but I don't give anything to him, meh, this holiday is for women only" and I don't see it IRL, either.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
All I could find were small heart shaped box of Hershey Deluxe Cheesecake kisses. Bought three for my children. Went to another store and was able to find Ghirardelli squares. Probably visited 4 stores and most have "collections" of chocolates with some having nuts... ugh.

My wife and I are recently separated but I'm trying to keep it somewhat normal between us.... whatever that means. We are on friendly terms.. albeit trying to find our way. We do small dinners together, mostly to catch up on kid stuff and planning family things.

Our anniversary passed, I still took her out for dinner and bought her a gift (pink pearl bracelet to match a previous gift I got her a while ago). Valentines day passed, I bought her some flowers and the box of Ghirardelli chocolate squares.

This time things were different. I had a long day at work (normal for me). She had dinner waiting (she doesn't like to cook) and after the kids were asleep, she shared some of the chocolates. Then she gave me a gift... a bottle of cologne.

We got married 17 years ago and known each other for nearly 20 years. This is the first time she actually bought me something on any anniversary nor Vday..... I'm not quite sure what to make of it now.... Still went out and met friends afterwards for Valentines day (couldn't bail on them.. didn't want to); it was on my mind though.. I told her that I appreciated a lot...

Weird Vday this was...
She NEVER in the prior 17 years did anything for your anniversary or Valentine's Day but meanwhile you were doing things for her?

Was she uncaring in general?

Old 02-20-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Another reason for V Day hate, is that lavish gift requirements aren't imposed equally on all men, and men know it. Naturally desirable men, with Chad Thunder being the best example, aren't required to buy anything.
Oh my God! Who even is WITH a "Chat Thunder"? (Assuming this means some super top-notch out of the ordinary guy?) MOST women are with regular men. Look around you. How can you take a comparison sample of who does what for whom based on an unbelievably tiny percentage of people, v. the overwhelming majority? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Are you polling very rich, amazingly handsome guys (or whatever) to conclude that they "aren't required to buy anything" for their significant others?

If anything I see the rich gorgeous playboys buying MORE for their significant others. These ARE the guys buying rocks, funding trips and spending a whole hell of a lot more than $50 per plate on V-Day dinner (or any dinner).

If you're talking about just basically attractive guys, I sure as heck don't see them not "buying" anything for occasions either. These are the guys who are happy to get involved in just-for-fun holidays and other silly stuff because they don't have a chip on their shoulder and aren't keeping score. They just want to have fun with the women they're out with. This definitely can involve money, as being out and about and going to dinner, etc. generally do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships