Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 03:23 PM

716 posts, read 557,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajulaDream View Post
This was right after I had ordered an $18 Halibut.
FWIW, the lady is supposed to order first, anyway.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:24 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
But ANYWAY you are right. The woman got a meal. The guy had a "oh crap" moment about the bill. Nothing a little chat at the time would not have cleared up. Etiquette normally dictates that a lady orders first, so maybe if the OP heard the lobster and steak ask, he might have adjusted to a salad if he really couldn't pay. But maybe it didn't go down that way.

The point is at worst this is a breach of good manners and intentionally "taking " someone for what., $50? And that isn't the end of the world. This could merely be a misunderstanding. But many of the responses have this sort of mic drop quality that seems excessive.
Ladies have to watch out for guys simply looking to get laid...

Guys have to watch out for gold diggers and such...

If you are lady, don't act like a gold digger. If you are a guy, don't act like a pickup artist. It doesn't matter what your true intentions are... the date can't read your mind.. just your actions.

I think you'd have to be pretty darn dense to not realize you might have screwed up if the one treating to dinner ordered a $18 meal and you ordered $50 meal. Maybe next time he should order coffee (to go) instead... that surely would have gotten the message out.

PS> There was a time that etiquette/tradition was that the guy would order for the woman. Often without asking her. That surely would have solved the problem as well...

Old 02-15-2018, 03:27 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
[quote=usayit;51038101]Ladies have to watch out for guys simply looking to get laid...

Guys have to watch out for gold diggers and such...

If you are lady, don't act like a gold digger. If you are a guy, don't act like a pickup artist. It doesn't matter what your true intentions are... the date can't read your mind.. just your actions.

PS> There was a time that etiquette/tradition was that the guy would order for the woman. Often without asking her. That surely would have solved the problem as well... [/QUOTE]

I have heard about that. I grew up in Sweden so we are a little different. I think I ran across the meal ordering thing in an old movie and was somewhat gobsmacked. Like really?? She doesn't get to choose? What if she is allergic??

Old 02-15-2018, 03:28 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

PS> There was a time that etiquette/tradition was that the guy would order for the woman. Often without asking her. That surely would have solved the problem as well...
And women were often given menus without prices on them, so they had no idea what their entrees cost.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:29 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
But with that being said, why would he go to such an expensive restaurant?
OP ordered a fish entree for $18. Don't think it was an expensive restaurant as much as it was an expensive option on the menu.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:30 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
LOL

"She will have the knockwurst. I'll have the same. And two Cokes."

Old 02-15-2018, 03:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajulaDream View Post
This was right after I had ordered an $18 Halibut..So yeah. I didn't say anything to her as I wanted to be polite, but ouch that's a punch to my wallet.

Tonight was our first dinner together and she didn't offer to help pay the bill either. To be fair she did offer me a piece, and also it is Valentines and I am the one who asked her out. She was excited about going out too..

I'm torn on why the sticker shock is bugging me, I keep thinking about it. I feel like the date was fun and she is incredible in a lot of ways and I find her attractive.. but I'm kinda feeling put off a bit too about it...

I paid for the bill. My concern isn't that I paid. I'm glad to do something nice for her.
My concern is I feel she wasn't considerate at all, and it is weighing on my mind. I'm sorting out my feelings right now. I find her attractive in many ways, but that was a big turn off :/
You should not offer to TAKE SOMEONE TO DINNER (implies you pay) to a place you cannot afford.
Let alone sit there afterwards and get bent about what they ordered.

This makes zero sense, dude.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Pretty tacky- unless she makes a boatload of cash and eats like this all the time. Maybe it just didn't click. But I doubt it. Toss her to the curb unless she put out big time.
You know, there is a good chance this woman is used to being asked out on dates where food/prices like these are common.
It probably didn't even occur to her.

$50 is nothing to a lot of people.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:36 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Exactly....who the hell orders a $50 meal on a first date if they're not paying for it?

That would turn me off too.

But with that being said, why would he go to such an expensive restaurant?

Good lord.
Thinking about this, I wonder if it's even a true story.
I can't think of any restaurant I've been in where there is such a great disparity between dishes
$18 for any kind of fish dinner and $50 for steak and lobster?

Old 02-15-2018, 03:36 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
OP ordered a fish entree for $18. Don't think it was an expensive restaurant as much as it was an expensive option on the menu.
It was still Valentine’s Day. In many cases, on Valentine’s Day even if you order a cheap entree, there is some sort of prix fixe or spending requirement and it isn’t as simple as just ordering what you want. You have to order three courses, or you have to spend a set amount because V-day is a big money making day for a restaurant. Many restaurants don’t just let you come in, spend $18, and get out—- at least not what I’ve seen.

It just makes zero sense to choose a high-cost holiday and then complain that a person is choosing a high-cost dish when many restaurants have minimum prices that are $50-100 on that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships