Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 08:38 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm wondering how a woman could eat a whole lobser AND a steak. Not to mention the baked potato, or whatever was on the side.............
Steak and lobster does not come with a one pound lobster and a 12 ounce steak. For $50 (which is not all that expensive for steak and lobster ), it is very likely that it came with a 4 ounce mini lobster tail and a petite sirloin steak with maybe some potato straws and a sprig of parsley. 4 ounce lobster tail is shell for half of its weight, so it is 3 bites of shellfish with a quarter pounder steak.

Traditionally, the valentine's day special is either surf and turf or a sweetheart steak (butterfly'ed filet mignon) and they are both going to be expensive.

It is not so outrageous to order the valentine's day special on valentine's day.

All you abused cheapskate guys that are whining that she would have never ordered that if she had to pay for her own, don't have a clue what she would have paid for on her own. OP didn't say what her income is. Maybe that's what she always orders when she is paying for her own dinner. Or maybe she pays for something even more expensive and she reined herself in and got less expensive than she would have paid for herself because she wasn't paying.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exactly, telling someone "my treat" or "help yourself!" and then judging them on not living up to your (contrary) expectations is game playing and being a bad host.

This board has taught me lots of things, one of which there are a lot of cheapskate and classless people around.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:46 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
In addition, I will unkindly point out that some of the men so hostile about a date ordering dinner when invited to dinner are the same guys who do a lot of complaining in other threads about not being able to get a date, or not getting a second date, and complaining that they have no chance of getting a girlfriend.

I can see an obvious link, although it obviously escapes them.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Hey, at least she didn’t order the falafel and wreak of garlic and cumin for the next two days. HashtagBTDT

Old 02-16-2018, 08:51 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Steak and lobster does not come with a one pound lobster and a 12 ounce steak. For $50 (which is not all that expensive for steak and lobster ), it is very likely that it came with a 4 ounce mini lobster tail and a petite sirloin steak with maybe some potato straws and a sprig of parsley. 4 ounce lobster tail is shell for half of its weight, so it is 3 bites of shellfish with a quarter pounder steak.

Traditionally, the valentine's day special is either surf and turf or a sweetheart steak (butterfly'ed filet mignon) and they are both going to be expensive.

It is not so outrageous to order the valentine's day special on valentine's day.

All you abused cheapskate guys that are whining that she would have never ordered that if she had to pay for her own, don't have a clue what she would have paid for on her own. OP didn't say what her income is. Maybe that's what she always orders when she is paying for her own dinner. Or maybe she pays for something even more expensive and she reined herself in and got less expensive than she would have paid for herself because she wasn't paying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This board has taught me lots of things, one of which there are a lot of cheapskate and classless people around.
I think you two have the OP pegged.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:54 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
I think OP has valid concerns but V-day is not a good indicator of his date's spending habits. If things went well, invite her out again and then see. But I would also join everyone's advice and urge the OP to avoid expensive restaurants as the default places for the date. I understand that this is an easiest option. But restaurant are expensive and at least to me, eating together is not the most interesting activity. Especially after the full work day spent sitting in the office (I assume?)

I wonder if OP gat any return on his investment ? Like maybe a kiss?

Old 02-16-2018, 09:24 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
She could have offered to pitch in to pay for it... as a gesture. then.

How is it not common sense for any date in this situation to offer that as an option given that most women are now employable or employed?

Regardless, if you a lady doesn't want to look like a gold digger, then don' t act like one. Same with men.... don't look like a PUA looking for sex.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:28 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
In addition, I will unkindly point out that some of the men so hostile about a date ordering dinner when invited to dinner are the same guys who do a lot of complaining in other threads about not being able to get a date, or not getting a second date, and complaining that they have no chance of getting a girlfriend.

I can see an obvious link, although it obviously escapes them.

No way. I've never had a problem getting a date and I think its outrageous.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:29 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I find it unusual that the OP ordered first before his date. Not very polite on his part.
This is a good point, and I'm surprised so many of us missed that. LOL.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:38 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajulaDream View Post
This was right after I had ordered an $18 Halibut..So yeah. I didn't say anything to her as I wanted to be polite, but ouch that's a punch to my wallet.

Tonight was our first dinner together and she didn't offer to help pay the bill either. To be fair she did offer me a piece, and also it is Valentines and I am the one who asked her out. She was excited about going out too..

I'm torn on why the sticker shock is bugging me, I keep thinking about it. I feel like the date was fun and she is incredible in a lot of ways and I find her attractive.. but I'm kinda feeling put off a bit too about it...

I paid for the bill. My concern isn't that I paid. I'm glad to do something nice for her.
My concern is I feel she wasn't considerate at all, and it is weighing on my mind. I'm sorting out my feelings right now. I find her attractive in many ways, but that was a big turn off :/
The "ouch" part really says it all here.

You were trying to impress her and it backfired on you. It's easy enough to do a little bit of research beforehand and pick a restaurant within your budget. Instead, you invited her out to a nice restaurant that you really couldn't afford, on a special night, and then silently condemned her for having the audacity to choose a dish she liked from the menu selections.

She didn't take advantage of you. YOU took her to this particular place. How was she supposed to know that you could only afford certain items? It's a logical assumption that when you take a date out to a certain place, that the menu prices are within your means... otherwise, why go there?

Next time, be yourself and don't take someone to a "nicer restaurant" if you're on a Red Robin budget. If you two have a connection, you'll have fun no matter where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships