Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
As far as being an authorized user, the primary account holder is responsible for all debts on that type of account.
Yet I had a hell of a time getting them off my credit report. Anyway, whatever it is it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 11:41 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGallop View Post
I still love her and don't want to hurt her, but she has obviously been planning this, and I am left with nothing, there are no children and no house to divide. I am legally partially disabled.

Thank you
If you are no longer married doesn't digging through her trash and spending eight hours taping together her shredded documents constitute invasion of privacy?
Fairly certain you're not allowed to do that unless you're the US government, "partially disabled" or not.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Yet I had a hell of a time getting them off my credit report. Anyway, whatever it is it is...
If you were an authorized user on your husband's account, then it would have been reported to credit bureaus, but you wouldn't have been contractually liable for any debt.

Sorry, but again, if this were a matter of joint accounts, it would be fairly easy for the OP to obtain the information he's seeking on his own.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:27 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
I'd let it go and move on with my life, if she's doing something illegal she'll eventually get herself caught. Why bother wasting your time digging through the trash? It only causes more hurt and who needs that? Money isn't everything and you'll have to do without her income sooner or later.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:35 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
OP did not come back and post, but I read the original post and it said that SHE had bank accts, not that there were joint bank accts between them.

I do believe that both parties in a joint bank acct have to be at the bank in order to open an acct.

This is just speaking from having a joint acct. Also closing a joint acct, both had to be there.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:51 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
Sure both have to be there when joint accounts are opened or closed. So who cares about her private accounts at this stage? It may prove she planned the divorce but that's all. If she was paid under the table, that's her problem if it comes back to bite her. Why should you report her, OP?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:05 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGallop View Post
Hello everyone!
I'm new here so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions.
I am in the midst of a divorce, and after going thru a "shredder", and spending 8 hours taping tiny pieces of paper together, I found account numbers belonging to my wife, to many bank accounts that I never knew existed.
I do not have any finances to hire a P.I. to investigate.
Does anyone have advice as to how I can go about finding the "incomplete" account numbers that I found?
I am sure she has closed most of her accounts by now.
She also has her boss [two jobs] paying her 60% of her salary in cash, [for years].
I still love her and don't want to hurt her, but she has obviously been planning this, and I am left with nothing, there are no children and no house to divide. I am legally partially disabled.

Thank you

I get that you are partially legally disabled, probably either don't work or hold a low paying job? You found that she's been stashing money, and if you both work, some might be money you've contributed?

Without knowing a whole lot, the advice is going to be general. Go to google and type in your state then divorce laws. Like this Long Island NY divorce laws - Google Search (http://tinyurl.com/2velud - broken link)

I understand why you want to find out about accounts, especially if you are going to be held responsible for 1/2 of the debt. Depending on the state, you also may be entitled to alimony.

Read the links then find yourself an attorney. Most do not charge (in my state) for a consultation. As was mentioned, you should go online and do a credit report which is free.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
I do not know where you are located but Virginia is considered a commonwealth and everything is split down the middle, debt and all, after you are married. Everything brought to the table before marriage is still owned by the individual.
You need a Private Investigator who has credentials to work in your state. I wish I could help but I can only work in VA.
By the way, you'd be surprised to see the things people do when they are getting ready to leave a relationship...secret P.O. Boxes, forgeries on joint accounts (yep, happens all the time!!!), taking every account to the limit and leaving. It is a prudent move to make sure you're credit is well protected.
Have you retained counsel yet?

Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Oooops...I meant to write 'your' and not 'you're'! Pardon.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:06 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
The IRS does not take kindly to folks not claiming their correct income and that would fall on her and her boss. Something else to think about... Is she filing a 1099 as an indepenedent contractor or just not claiming at all?
Are you on a lease together? If so, the landlord may have her credit report in your file. This would have ALL accounts (bank, car loans, credit cards, etc.) listed. Worth a try. Good luck to you!
don't they have to file a joint account until they are divorced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships