Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,743,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
This
- I am passionate about ...
- I am passionate about exercise
- I am passionate about travel
- I am passionate about "living" / outdoors.
- I am passionate about sports.
- I am passionate about music.

IMHO, anyone over 25 who is still passionate about music needs to grow up. Sports is something I dislike so if you like it I will have a child on my couch every Sunday watching something I don't care about. Not a camper so I don't want to be outdoors. In general who is passionate these days? If you are you are lying or have little to do.

I don't want to adopt a child.. who happens to be an adult.

Finally what is with the photos? Some are so bad. If you were trying to look like a mug shot you couldn't do any better. Do NOT take photos with sunglasses.

I don't really understand anything you've said. Being passionate about music is bad? I know professional musicians, people who love playing in bands... I'm passionate about music in my 40s, I work on music projects all the time. I am not much into camping, but I love being outdoors... I have no idea what kayaking or hiking or nature photography has to do with camping.

If people aren't passionate about something, that is a huge turn off! People without passions are boring people. I have lots to do, those things involve my passions!

Last edited by timberline742; 02-21-2018 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 07:10 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,059,920 times
Everything else looks really good and then, something like "My church is my life".

Old 02-21-2018, 07:15 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,097,757 times
Quote:
IMHO, anyone over 25 who is still passionate about music needs to grow up.
Sod that for a game of soldiers. Music is one of the reasons I'm still alive.

Why should growing up, whatever that means, dull my passion for one of the greatest comforts and sources of inspiration this world has afforded me?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:23 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,269,627 times
I've never online dated, but if I were to do so one day.. Things that would make me skip a woman or be deal-breaker would be:

1. Sarcasm. "I am a sarcastic person" aka I'm a *****. Not falling for it and won't put up with it.

2. Children. Not interested in dating women who have kids from previous relationships. Automatic skip

3. Ask me anything or follow me on instagram or snapchat. These women are lazy and don't want to put in effort to meet at all. Automatic skip.

4. Always in a bar. I'm going to assume you're an alcoholic and don't want to be around someone who needs alcohol to have fun.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:43 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,120,037 times
When I think about it, I'm glad I found someone, because I am mighty picky.

When I was single and scrolling through OKCupid (often a scary place), I had problems with:

-those who seemed to be interested only in casual relationships/sex/already in a relationship and wants a side chick/is into polyamory

-those for whom religion played a huge role in their life (I'm not going to church for someone)

-those who had kids (not because I don't like them, but because my plan wasn't to have any)

-those who didn't like having pets

-smokers and heavy drinkers

-any sign of racism/homophobia/transphobia (a lot of times this will come out when a guy insists he's soooo masculine...in my experience, women are more subtle about it)

-anyone with photos of him or herself and an animal they've killed (I'm a vegetarian, but I can respect if you hunt for your own food...I can't respect this grinning from ear to ear with your prey stuff)

-anyone who dislikes being outdoors (I love nature walks, hiking, swimming, etc.)

-people who say they don't like romance (I dated a woman who felt this way once, and was shocked that she really didn't have a romantic bone in her body...what is it that Oprah says about when people show you who they are, believe them? I learned the hard way).

Old 02-21-2018, 07:57 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,628,817 times
As a guy:

-Shots with giant cleavage
-Duck face pics
-Pics with the Snapchat filters (you know what I'm talking about)
-Pics where the girls are with multiple girls so you don't know whose profile it is
-The profiles who involve anything political like "TRUMP SUPPORTERS NOT WELCOME! I GRAB BACK!"
-The profiles where the girl says "don't message me if...."
-oNeZ WiF ProFileZ Dat Type Lyke Diz

Old 02-21-2018, 08:13 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,179,316 times
My turn-off's are:

-Posing with a car, motorcycle, boat or airplane
- Hunting
- Extensive Traveling
- Young kids (which at my age has only happened once)
- Smoker
- Braggart

Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 AM

7,206 posts, read 4,477,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If people aren't passionate about something, that is a huge turn off! People without passions are boring people. I have lots to do, those things involve my passions!
People who are "passionate" are selfish. If they had real responsibilities they wouldn't have the energy for such things or wouldn't want to deal with them.

I know so many people that married these "passionate" people who then didn't give up their passions for marriage. The wife was expected to do all the responsibilities while the immature guy acted like he had a god given right to continue to exercise, sing, or whatever his desire was in his free time. No concern for the woman's desire.

Massive red flags.

If you are boring sing it in your profile - that is marriage material.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:20 AM

26,682 posts, read 41,545,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I look for reasons to connect, not to not connect, with people.
I look for things that could potentially cause a problem with connecting.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:22 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,743,887 times
Quote:
People who are "passionate" are selfish. If they had real responsibilities they wouldn't have the energy for such things or wouldn't want to deal with them.

I know so many people that married these "passionate" people who then didn't give up their passions for marriage. The wife was expected to do all the responsibilities while the immature guy acted like he had a god given right to continue to exercise, sing, or whatever his desire was in his free time. No concern for the woman's desire.

Massive red flags.

If you are boring sing it in your profile - that is marriage material.

You make it sound like there aren't passionate women out there that love white water kayaking, mountain climbing, playing in bands, traveling! Or that couples don't do these things together, they absolutely do. Often it is the woman who is more passionate about activities and adventures then the guys.

You just know irresponsible people. That is not synonymous with passionate people. The most responsible, productive, professional members of society I know are incredibly passionate, and not just about their careers and families.

And exercise is optional now? "God given right to exercise"? I'd say, mandate to exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I look for things that could potentially cause a problem with connecting.
I hope that tactic doesn't prevent you from making connections!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships