Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 01:56 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,222 times

Advertisements

Who cares if it's majority or just small percentage?

What really matters is, your beauty is behold by someone that matters most to you. That is where the believe holds truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 01:57 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
you are right, nobody is everyone's cup of tea but the examples you give prove my point, if the majority of the opposite sex find you attractive it does not matter if a minority does not. and if only a minority of people find you attractive it puts you at a disadvantage, Shirley Manson(singer from garbage) was quoted as saying John Goodman was the sexiest man alive. she is not the norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBFOJ3R0M4
"At a disadvantage" does not mean "can never be successful." Most of us have some disadvantages, sometimes severe ones but we get by and live life.

Now. Unlikely to be successful with a woman who physically matches a person who literally was created in a futuristic lab or on a computer program? Oh yes, that does reduce your chances to extraordinarily slim. But again...that is on you. But we have seen pictures or you. You are not abnormal. You are not below average in looks, so far down that "most" people would find you unattractive on looks alone. Your problem is not in your physical looks. It is in your appalling opinion of people and your constant ideas of the literal creation of perfect humanity, but in a horrifically dark way, which absolutely will make women run, out of fear.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:06 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Thats not because I find meth heads and crack whores appealing, it's because in mugshots the person is usually looking directly at the camera which makes making a 3D face map easier. Then I can add hair, makeup, pull in or puff out cheeks clear up skin or add freckles add or remove wrinkles etc etc then on to creating the body from scratch.

Even my own avatar was made from an actual photo of me.

I said what I said. A mess.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:22 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Even my own avatar was made from an actual photo of me.
Wait, that's supposed to be you? It reminds me of Killface from Frisky Dingo.

Maybe you could sign up for some computer graphics classes at a community college or similar--you'd hone your skills and maybe meet some new people.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:27 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I said what I said. A mess.
Yeah...I prefer the CGI characters from final fantasy.

They can look a bit strange sometimes too, but at least look somewhat realistic.

https://jcphotog.files.wordpress.com...s_08-12-16.jpg

Old 02-24-2018, 02:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
And that's my point, I'm not saying beauty is all that matters, but the more attractive people, the ones that won the genetic lottery do tend to get/be first choice and the further someone is from there cultures standard of beauty the more everything else has to be on point to make up for it.

Yes, but you asked why people say that "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". The eyes of the beholder can be influenced by the personality of the individual being beheld.

Also, the eyes of the beholder are influenced by the beholder's childhood experiences, the members of his family (some studies show men tend to choose women who look kind of like their sisters: one of my brothers did that, the other didn't), and so on. Why do some women swoon over geeky guys? Despite whatever studies have been done, humans remain unpredictable. Psychology, and along with it--individual tastes and interests, is formed under a myriad of influences.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:58 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
There's another aspect to someone's "decision" that another person is beautiful or not...and that is assumption. An ingrained assumption can hit the observer/evaluator so quickly they may not even be aware how it warps what they see. Sure, assumptions are learned, not visceral, but they are all too real.

If someone assumes that women who are what a culture considers "drop dead gorgeous/beautiful" are shallow, self-centered B*&#$s, this can lead that person to decide the woman isn't beautiful very quickly. I don't happen to find over-defined muscle-bound men beautiful unlike many of my fellow females. Part of it IS simple preference of a different physical type, and part of it could be an assumption that the person is too absorbed in themselves or treading into the scary world of steroids.

Similar to the assumptions posters of this thread make about the OP's virtual characters. Doesn't really change the outcome....viewers still find them unattractive, but the reason for that isn't as simple as they think. In the end, to get rid of the assumption you have to get to know the individual, so we have conveniently circled back to the whole "inner beauty" thing once again.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-24-2018 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 03:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
you are right, nobody is everyone's cup of tea but the examples you give prove my point, if the majority of the opposite sex find you attractive it does not matter if a minority does not. and if only a minority of people find you attractive it puts you at a disadvantage, Shirley Manson(singer from garbage) was quoted as saying John Goodman was the sexiest man alive. she is not the norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBFOJ3R0M4
See, now you're changing the goalposts.

Going from, "There is really one universal beauty standard, none of this 'different people have different ideas of beauty' stuff," to, "Yeah, well, okay, different people do have different standards for attractiveness, but all that really matters is the tastes of the majority."

Those are two totally different theses.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
Who cares if it's majority or just small percentage?

What really matters is, your beauty is behold by someone that matters most to you. That is where the believe holds truth.
This. I don't give a rat's ass if every random person whose path I cross on the street finds me hot.

But it's sure a nice thing that my husband does.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:50 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Wait, that's supposed to be you? It reminds me of Killface from Frisky Dingo.

Maybe you could sign up for some computer graphics classes at a community college or similar--you'd hone your skills and maybe meet some new people.
yep I used a photo of me as a template. and I actually wearing a shirt with a skull as I'm typing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships