Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
In NYC, a picture of you dressed snappily in a club might be expected, sure.

A christening...it's sweet but I'm not feeling romantically inclined looking at that, probably, as a young woman with no kids.
Gotcha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No. Do OKC in NY and Bumble.
What's better about okc?

And bumble probably won't work for me in not the type many women are gonna reach out to first..I'd imagine bumble works for good looking guys mostly.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:44 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
What's better about okc?

And bumble probably won't work for me in not the type many women are gonna reach out to first..I'd imagine bumble works for good looking guys mostly.

I'm not good looking and women write me. Not a ton, but enough. They have to write me, there is no other choice. It can't hurt to try. Use all your options. Do tinder too.

The quality of people is much better on OKC in most places. Not everywhere, there is some regionality to this, but I don't know college educated professionals in the Northeast that do use POF. It's seen as well, more, uh, trashy. (Yeah yeah, I'm sure there are some fine people on there, but everyone I know in major cities give it a look and delete almost immediately).

Old 02-28-2018, 11:46 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,233 times
It's possible for an average guy to find success on OLD, but it will take a lot of effort and investment.

Hit the gym if you're not already. If your nose is holding you back, get a nose job. Eye area, ptosis correction and canthopexy if it would help. Hair transplant for a youthful hairline can go a long way. Same with jaw/chin implants. And if you have brown eyes, there is now a laser procedure to turn them blue. Anything to give you an edge or make you stand out. Get elevator shoes and factor that into the height mentioned in profile.

Photos: Travel photos, outdoor activities, one with your dog, one with another woman (social proof), one with buddies, one business casual (suit can be a bit much). Outside pictures with good lighting are always much better.

Profile: Be clever and funny, but be careful of cliche stuff. Keep it short and don't overshare.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'm not good looking and women write me. Not a ton, but enough. They have to write me, there is no other choice. It can't hurt to try. Use all your options. Do tinder too.

The quality of people is much better on OKC in most places. Not everywhere, there is some regionality to this, but I don't know college educated professionals in the Northeast that do use POF. It's seen as well, more, uh, trashy. (Yeah yeah, I'm sure there are some fine people on there, but everyone I know in major cities give it a look and delete almost immediately).
I tried tinder got nothing..my problem is if I have to rely heavy on pics I'm probably in trouble lol.

Yeah pof has always had kind of a trashy reputation..I don't know why I joined

My friends on okc she's a attractive women and gets hundreds of messages from men with just pics and nothing on her profile so I figured it was more male dominated.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
It's possible for an average guy to find success on OLD, but it will take a lot of effort and investment.

Hit the gym if you're not already. If your nose is holding you back, get a nose job. Eye area, ptosis correction and canthopexy if it would help. Hair transplant for a youthful hairline can go a long way. Same with jaw/chin implants. And if you have brown eyes, there is now a laser procedure to turn them blue. Anything to give you an edge or make you stand out. Get elevator shoes and factor that into the height mentioned in profile.

Photos: Travel photos, outdoor activities, one with your dog, one with another woman (social proof), one with buddies, one business casual (suit can be a bit much). Outside pictures with good lighting are always much better.

Profile: Be clever and funny, but be careful of cliche stuff. Keep it short and don't overshare.
If it takes that much plastic surgery to attract women these days I'd rather be alone.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:52 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
My friends on okc she's a attractive women and gets hundreds of messages from men with just pics and nothing on her profile so I figured it was more male dominated.

All sites are, so what?

Quote:
If it takes that much plastic surgery to attract women these days I'd rather be alone.
It doesn't. You don't need plastic surgery. Work out daily (you should be anyway), eat healthy, don't dress like a *******, and live a full life. It's enough. Most people don't do these things so its easy to get ahead.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
All sites are, so what?
Hard to get women's attention when she's getting tons and tons of attention.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:54 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
Quote:
I'll show you my profile in a little bit
Please follow through and let timberline give you some more tips. I put up a profile on an OLD site once because I thought I needed to in order to participate in a forum something like this. I stated in bold print that I wasn't looking to date. I had no picture. I sent out no messages. I got contacted by 6 or 7 women in a couple of weeks. My entire profile was-----

"I'm not looking to date. I'm just here for the forums. Or is that fora?"

You know, because some words ending in um have a plural form ending in a. I'm a word nerd, so I just threw that in. Five of the women who contacted me mentioned the "fora" comment saying it was cute or clever. Three were English teachers, two in HS and one college professor. I kind of had an intellectual fling with one of them over the next week talking about literature and women writers. The point being, I showed a little something about myself in that throw away comment in a half a$$ed profile. If I ever wanted to date again, English teachers would be my people.

Look at your profile and pictures that way. You want to make a good impression, but you want to make an authentic one, too. Words may not be your thing, but you can fashion a profile that works well with your pictures. Pics of you doing what you like to do, especially if you look (are) happy doing it, communicate way more than words will anyway. Dynamic pictures are both more attractive and say more about you than static ones.

Keep working at this, JBT.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:55 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Hard to get women's attention when she's getting tons and tons of attention.
Be decent and you'll already pass 80%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships