Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times

Advertisements

part of me wants to say "leave it be", but another part says she deserves to know. For all he knows, she could have cheated. And by saying "i cheated", she might come clean. It will the one final test of their love. Sounds like they should get by and be okay though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 03:10 PM

6 posts, read 13,770 times
Wow, thanks for the responses already.

It is a difficult dilemma, which is why I have been hesitant to give concrete advice. I think he's pretty paralyzed with indecision and would like someone to tell him what to do.

I definitely don't think he has cold feet and is looking for a "way out" by fessing up to the past. At this point, he's pretty excited about being married to this woman. I think the relationship just started fairly uneventfully and then really blossomed into something that he was not expecting. As time has gone on, he's developed more respect and love for her. That's why it's so hard on him. He scared to death of ruining something that he doesn't think he'll find again, but he also respects and loves her now to the point where he feels he owes it to her provide full disclosure prior to "starting a life together".

I did think it was an interesting point that someone made about coming clean now or coming clean on your deathbed. If you really do love someone, and a relationship truly lasts a lifetime, will you ever really forget what you did and lied about? Even if you subsequently lived a perfect married life of love and devotion, it seems as though this would only make it more and more difficult to reconcile past indiscretions...both to yourself and the other party.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:12 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
Hey.. you can chalk it up to just dating if thats what you want to do.. everyone has their own perception of how to handle things. If he is really that interested in keeping this together.. then the best advise is to keep it mum.. because once the cat is out of the bag.. the fireworks will fly.. and it will not be pretty..

Old 03-24-2008, 03:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
He should just let it go. No need to dig up the past.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Naw, are you all nuts.......????

Forget it, let sleeping dogs lie.

She will find stuff to rap around his neck soon enough once he sezs "I did".

Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 AM

59 posts, read 318,359 times
i think she deserves to know! and i think if she truly loves him she will be able to deal with it. a guilty conscience will always haunt u.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeHolden View Post
I did think it was an interesting point that someone made about coming clean now or coming clean on your deathbed. If you really do love someone, and a relationship truly lasts a lifetime, will you ever really forget what you did and lied about? Even if you subsequently lived a perfect married life of love and devotion, it seems as though this would only make it more and more difficult to reconcile past indiscretions...both to yourself and the other party.
I think someone near the start made a very good point that it would be a selfish act to confess. Yes he's got a guilty conscience and probably always will have, so why inflict that knowledge on his girlfriend and transfer the pain? He'll feel better after the initial fall-out, but she won't.

I think if he loves her he should shut it and deal with it. That's his punishment.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Makes me wonder if he's trying to sabotage the upcoming wedding.

No good will come of a confession now. He needs to forgive himself and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships