Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:45 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,543 times

Advertisements

Re: 5) Making crude sexual jokes/innuendo

When I was very young (20s...loooong ago) a co-worker implied that a friend of his really wanted to take me out. I'd seen the guy (He worked in a bank across the street from our office). Very good-looking, well-groomed, nice dresser. I wasn't too keen in dating just yet because I was still hurting from a relationship that had recently ended. But, after a few weeks I went out with the guy....double date with co-worker and his fiancée. Almost immediately the guy started telling dirty jokes and made crude sexual comments....he talked a lot about how much he liked the Barry White song "where the woman is having an orgasm"...huge turnoff. I never went out with the guy again, although he called me several times. No, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:48 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you do realize, don't you, that anyone displaying either of the first 2 characteristics would never make it even to date #1, right? That scenario would never happen, unless it was some kind of blind date setup.
Yes, I know. Actually a friend got talked into a blind date where the guy had such bad BO she said she could hardly breathe. ICK.

I was reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry & Elaine are in a car that stinks so bad they put their heads out the window. But in friend's case it wasn't the car, it was the guy.

Last edited by applej3; 03-01-2018 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 10:26 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
OMG, all six.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:30 AM

777 posts, read 452,282 times
1. is debatable.... If someone has iffy teeth but are good about hygiene and don't have bad breath, it's not an automatic dealbreaker. Teeth can be fixed, character can't.

I have been surprised by bad teeth with OLD.... take note if someone never smiles in their pics.

2. Showing up to a first meet with body odor... Nope. Clueless or disrespectful.

4. Smoking at all. No thank you

5. Sexual innuendo.... depends. A little light flirting, okay, but not if it gets too intense.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,640,743 times
1. It depends. Rot or nasty teeth--not ok, but a missing premolar that is only visible when they grin big and their teeth are otherwise fine, something like that wouldn't bug me. If more than a couple of missing teeth though, could put me off. A general impression of bad dental hygiene would be an issue.

2. Bad body odor, or even one of many colognes or scents that stings my nose, overzealously applied, would be grounds for immediate rejection. I don't want to be close to anyone who offends my nose.

3. Talking too much... I talk quite a bit given half a chance, in order to make me feel shut out of a conversation, someone has to be pretty rudely overbearing, interrupting, or ignoring social cues of discomfort. If I were quiet or shy, I wouldn't blame someone else for trying to keep the conversation going, but I'm not. So this is a rude person and a "nope."

4. Smoking. Tricky. I'm a smoker, and prefer to be with a non-smoker because I fully intend to quit. In fact last year I was off the cigs for about 7 months, I don't see this as hopeless and I mean to get it done. A partner who is similarly addicted would make that harder. I wouldn't judge them badly for it (that would be pretty hypocritical) but I have a preference.

5. Innuendo. It depends. How crude? And is it clever/funny, or stupid/gross? If I feel uncomfortable, it would be grounds for rejection. I'm no stranger to naughty notions, and enjoy my share of adult humor. But if I saw a date roll up in a car with a "shocker" sticker on the back window, I might very well leave before he had a chance to park it.

6. Complaining about ex: Again, depends. It's not about whether you have baggage, it's about how well you're able to stow it. If a man is expressing that he and an ex were not compatible and had this or that issues, and he learned XYZ from the experience...or suffered this or that abuse and is working to heal, etc. then we might be ok. But if his tone expresses bitterness, blaming, hostility, or anything that gives me the feeling he might punish me for someone else's crimes, then we're done. I don't mind hearing about the good stuff, though. I definitely don't have a "I don't wanna hear about your ex" policy.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:52 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Rotten teeth are a no go, as problems with oral health are also associated with problems with cardiovascular health and numerous other issues. A missing teeth is not necessarily a deal breaker. I have an ugly/messed up tooth.. no dentist will do anything with it, but it is not pretty either. It is just the healthiest option for the mouth to leave it like it is.

Body odor is probably a no go as well.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:53 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,758,603 times
All of the above.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:16 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,003 times
In a first date scenario?

All of the above.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:46 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,540 times
Body odor would be the only thing that would make me wanna run. Rotten teeth also, but not necessarily missing teeth.

Talking too much is fine with me. Trust me, you wanna keep talking and not get me to start talking, because I'll out-talk you if you do, I guarantee it.

Nobody should have to ask me if I mind that they smoke, unless they're doing it in my house or in my car, where I do not allow smoking of any kind.

Crude sexual jokes and innuendo is something that doesn't bother me.

Complaining about an ex is a turn off for pretty much anybody, but it wouldn't cause me to run. I personally do not complain about an ex when I'm out with someone new, it's a really quick way to get someone to never go out with you a second time. It's really effective, if that's what you're looking to do, but I'd be open to hearing the complaints for a little bit. They might be very valid, or they may be very trivial.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:29 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,723 times
1, 2, and 4 (smoking in general) are deal breakers. The other three are just annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships