Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 03:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

Many people want someone they can't have. They let their fantasies control them. Men, who are very visual, tend to want a woman who is super attractive even if they aren't themselves. When they (predictably) consistently fail with these women, they wind up bitter and angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 05:45 PM

634 posts, read 708,781 times
The study that I was referring to did not just show photos. They were given their entire online profiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The study you are referring to is rooted in the fact that men in general agree or have a consensus on what is or is not attractive physically. Meanwhile, women will have preferences but will disagree with each other just how attractive the subject is.

So on a scale, men will tend to rate subject's photos either high or low while women's rates of the subject's photos on a more sliding scale in the middle. Men will say either "yah or nay". Women will say kinda less attractive or kinda more attractive.

This type of study has been done dozens on of times by groups to learn about the differences of male vs female attraction.

Unfortunately, many other groups will pull from these studies and draw conclusions that are usually inaccurate. To conclude from that men tend to see themselves as above their own scale is not exactly what these studies show...

Showing a bunch of photos and such to an individual (men or women) is not necessarily a measure of their own rating but rather the rating of the individual in the photograph. If the photos are comprised of mostly high profile models and attractive celebs, the men will all closely rate at the top of the scale letsay 9-10 while women will also rate highly but they'll have a more of a spread of letsay 6-9. Its not that men rank themselves highly its just that their ratings will group more tightly than women.

Understand that rating photographs is an act rating on pure physical attributes. Men are driven more by physical attributes. Duh!

Of course when you have conclusions like this made, you'll get a bunch of women throwing high fives at each other.... as if they've won for the team. Same type of behavior when studies show that woman tend to gravitate towards men as providers (financial stability) and marry upwards on the social ladder..... again... as if they've won one for the team.

The women I know understand this difference about men and leverage it.... they know that men rate more on physical attributes. They don't see as a bad thing.. but a natural thing and always look for ways to leverage it. Just like certain men know what women are looking for and look for ways to improve/leverage it.

I'd like to see a study that tries to take into account the differences of the genders when it comes to rating attractiveness. Since men focus more on physical attributes, show a bunch of photos and rate them. Since women are not as focused on physical attributes, give a worded description of the person's life/personality/etc.. and rate them. I wonder if you get more of a consensus grouping of the ratings from the female group like you would with the male group.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:01 AM

651 posts, read 407,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many people want someone they can't have. They let their fantasies control them. Men, who are very visual, tend to want a woman who is super attractive even if they aren't themselves. When they (predictably) consistently fail with these women, they wind up bitter and angry.
But thats what half of the people on here are promoting. I know exactly what you are saying, but others keep claiming that looks are secondary and that being "out of someones league" should not stop them from trying.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:21 AM

777 posts, read 452,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
But thats what half of the people on here are promoting. I know exactly what you are saying, but others keep claiming that looks are secondary and that being "out of someones league" should not stop them from trying.
There's nothing wrong with trying, but if you fail, treat it more like a lottery ticket that didn't pay off, not the end of the world. Don't get bitter and hateful and disillusioned. Some people do win the lottery but most don't.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:24 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
Nobodies saying go after super models here but you dont have to go after whatever you think is your exact physical equivalent either.

Most women walking around aren't 10's where you should feel unworthy of even approaching..

Old 03-10-2018, 06:27 PM

424 posts, read 236,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
When I was much younger, (in my 60's now), I found it very frustrating that men wouldn't approach me because I was good looking. I was also very down to earth because of how I was brought up.

Don't be afraid to talk to good looking women. Many just want a 'real' guy, not a movie star.
This is bad advice for the current generation, unfortunately.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:58 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
This is bad advice for the current generation, unfortunately.
Excellent advice!!!

Guys, if you're not a movie star, and most of us aren't, then don't ask out anyone mildly attractive, like above, say, a three. It'll only lead to shame and embarrassment.

And run, RUN!, if any should happen to even speak to you. It can only mean you're the brunt of a cruel joke.

Again, if you see me taking to an attractive woman, I'm just taking one for the team. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

Old 03-11-2018, 05:42 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,947 times
Maybe because super average couples stay together longer so there are fewer super average singles in the dating pool at any given time.

super attractive people tend not to value relationships and tend to serial date, super unattractive people tend not to even want to date each other so plenty of them in the dating pool.

this may vary depending on where you live, some places that have a bigger than average super hot population changes the attractive curve, LA, Miami, most of Hawaii and a few other parts of the USA have so many attractive women that the bar is raised on whats considered attractive, so a woman from Utah or Nebraska who grew up being viewed as a 9 or 10 goes to Miami and is now a 6 or 7, but the reverse is also true.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:56 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Excellent advice!!!

Guys, if you're not a movie star, and most of us aren't, then don't ask out anyone mildly attractive, like above, say, a three. It'll only lead to shame and embarrassment.

And run, RUN!, if any should happen to even speak to you. It can only mean you're the brunt of a cruel joke.

Again, if you see me taking to an attractive woman, I'm just taking one for the team. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME
Quoting for truth and because of how terrible the advice you were replying to actually was.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:56 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
People would be surprised. You know the finest girl that everybody loves and all the guys are always hitting on her? Unfortunately, she might even have an SO, but she's thirsty because of all the guys hitting on her. You know how they communicate to someone they want to have sex with?

Undercover. They use CL. Everybody disses CL, but there are some 10s on there that want to be talked to like they are princesses. If you can appeal to a girl visually, at first, to get their attention, the next step is just to write to them and appeal to their mind and next thing you know, they will subconsciously want you to impregnate them.

Look at all the women on CD. Women who are creative, love to write. Take the time and write to them. Honestly, you could probably pull a girl from here if you know how to write to her. This is a good venue for something like that with how mobile people are. I know there are fine girls on CD. Well, I only know one person, but they are out there.

Try different avenues. If you want a really fine girl, appeal to her mind. You have to use a different approach. It may not work. Just remember that females are clever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships