Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 05:43 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2MEwoodnutt View Post
Hi Group,

I've been mulling over a thought/question/concern pertaining to my current relationship with a wonderful Lady.

Now, some may think that this is a minor concern for a relationship...
- I feel that it's rather important [well, to me] and a key component to a successful relationship.

All my Life, I've noticed that most couples are usually about the same body type, height, weight etc.

My concern pertains to "Body Type".
"Body Type" is one of the main qualifiers when searching for a mate on all of the online dating sites.

'Body Types' would be classified as: slender, athletic/toned, normal, with a few extra pounds, etc.

Now, I am 5' 10" tall, and at present weight maybe 155Lbs. - (I've lost a good 10+ pounds over the last year, probably due to the untimely passing of my Dear Wife of 27 years, last March 29th. - I haven't eaten or slept properly ever since).

My Lady friend is 5' 8" tall, and of a 'stocky' build.
- I would never Dare to ask her weight [I value my Life too much...] and of course it wouldn't be proper.
- However, if I were to venture a guess, I'd say at least 160/170....God help me if it's MORE.

My late Irish Wife was a tiny little thing, of 5'4" and weighted about 105 dripping wet.
I used to be able to put my arm around her waist, and touch the other side of her.

I would have to say that all throughout my Life, every girlfriend that I ever had, [no more than 7] was roughly equivalent to my same body type, and I've never been with a Lady 'larger' than I.

With my new Lady friend, let's just say, "that Ain't gonna happen", and leave it there.

- Now my concern is for the Future...
IF/When we are both ready to become intimate, I have 'concerns' about that.

Am I being too crazy thinking about this???

- Please Folks, no jokes on this, ok?
- This truly is a concern for me.

Any comments/thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You All,

- Watch out there today & tomorrow everybody, Winter Storm Quinn looks like a Doozie!

Queue the old Manfred Mann song, "The Mighty Quinn".

CT2MEwoodnutt

P.S. - Thank God for our Great Forum here, where one can be 'anonymous' and pose a question. I probably could not verbalize my thoughts here, face to face with someone, you know?

I'm not sure what your concern is. Maybe you have several. I'll take a shot at responding.

-Is it OK that you're not attracted to this woman, if that's the case? Yes

-Does it seem odd that you were gaga for her a week ago, and you seem to have just now noticed she's not all that thin? Yes.

-Should you compare women you're dating to your deceased wife? No

-Could you be looking for a reason to bail, perhaps because you're not over your wife or perhaps because you're scared of your feelings, or both? Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 05:46 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
I think the OP has concerns he's not voicing: the fact that many women start relationships at their best fighting weight and then once secure pack on pounds. In other words, If she's starting out heavy in weight, then there's nowhere to go but the overweight/fat zone.

Valid concern, OP, but don't blame you for choosing not to post about that one. (They'll eat you alive!)

Chances are she will continue to increase in weight as the relationship progresses. You've got to decide if you will find her attractive even so.

I doubt it judging from your stated history of preference.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:48 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I think the OP has concerns he's not voicing: the fact that many women start relationships at their best fighting weight and then it goes up from there. The hudden concern? If she's starting out heavy in weight, then there's nowhere to go but the overweight/fat zone. Valid concern, OP, but don't blame you for choosing not to post about that one. Chances are she will continue to increase in weight as the relationship progresses. You've got to decide if you will find her attractive even so. I doubt it judging from your stated history of preference.
Well again, he doesn't seem to have had such a concern 36 hours ago literally saying he felt like a teenager from anticipation; at which time I'm assuming she already weighed 170, unless she ate A LOT on their date.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:01 PM

777 posts, read 452,196 times
The new woman is what, high end of normal BMI? Maybe very slightly overweight? If she's in her 60s, that's doing pretty darn good if you ask me.

If you are attracted to her face, her wit, her personality, her temperament, you may find yourself in love with her curves too, if you give her a chance.

I think women are more likely to overlook a body type that hasn't been their usual type so far, if everything else is good, but I think many men are capable.

It's possible she has the same concerns. Maybe she's always been smaller than her men, and prefers men with some meat on their bones, and is taking a chance on you?

Old 03-07-2018, 06:11 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I'm not sure what your concern is. Maybe you have several. I'll take a shot at responding.

-Is it OK that you're not attracted to this woman, if that's the case? Yes

-Does it seem odd that you were gaga for her a week ago, and you seem to have just now noticed she's not all that thin? Yes.

-Should you compare women you're dating to your deceased wife? No

-Could you be looking for a reason to bail, perhaps because you're not over your wife or perhaps because you're scared of your feelings, or both? Yes
Very good. I found myself doing that with a guy when IRL I just wasn't ready for a relationship. I would focus (to myself) on a mistake he made, or when his hair wasn't the way I liked it...or any number of things he couldn't control that would have been a non-issue, or maybe even adorable had I been ready for a relationship. It actually took me many years after divorce to have any kind of 'romantic' relationship. I had a lot to work on!

I think OP really likes this lady, maybe worded his post hastily.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:46 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
Is OP scared "his" lady is going to squish him during sex? Because he's so skinny? Give me a break!

OP, you're either attracted to her or not. You shouldn't be at all concerned with whether OTHER people are attracted to her, either.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I think the OP has concerns he's not voicing: the fact that many women start relationships at their best fighting weight and then once secure pack on pounds. In other words, If she's starting out heavy in weight, then there's nowhere to go but the overweight/fat zone.

Valid concern, OP, but don't blame you for choosing not to post about that one. (They'll eat you alive!)

Chances are she will continue to increase in weight as the relationship progresses. You've got to decide if you will find her attractive even so.

I doubt it judging from your stated history of preference.
But she's not starting out heavy. OP must be in his 50's, as he'd been married for 27 years, when his wife passed away. (RIP) So his date must be close to that in age. 165-170 isn't "fat" for someone who's 5'8" and 50-ish, unless she has a delicate build. It's a little overweight, but not much. It's in the range in which some women are said to look good with a little extra weight. If she's small-boned, she may look a little chubby. Plus-- none of the women I know who married gained weight. I don't know where this particular cliché started, but I suspect it's a holdover from the early 20th Century, and before. I mean honestly, if you're going to think like that, then why ever marry anyone? Because they "might" gain weight, so why risk chaining yourself to someone for 50 years?

Pickle, you know better than that!

Anyway, if the OP is going to pull a Brahmabull on us, and insist that he MUST have a slim, athletic partner, because he "deserves" it, because he works at staying trim, himself, well, he can go join Brahmabull in the Whining Room. Exit, Stage Left.

I don't think this is about his gf, though. I think this is about his wife. He needs to let her go, before there's room in his heart for someone else.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:16 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Look.

The OP was so incredibly over the moon about this woman before the date that he could hardly type straight. He was talking about how giddily nervous he was. He felt like a high school kid. And so on. Said his palms were sweaty. Eagerly wanted to know when he could kiss his date.

Got her on the dance floor even though he was terrified. But he was willing to "make a fool of himself" just to please her. ANYTHING to please this amazing date. He was practically bursting through the computer screen on this forum with eagerness.

Having already seen this woman (obviously.)

Then he realized he COULD have her. And now...oh wow. Maybe she's too fat. Like...out of nowhere. After all this half-hysterical Fred Astaire jumping all over the place and all-caps typing in eagerness like that of a 17-year-old before the date...

Come on, you guys. Pretty obvious what's going on here. OP isn't ready. He's deliberately putting the brakes on because now it's real. He's not ready.

This is not about the woman's weight.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
If you haven't eaten or slept properly in the past year, following a grievous loss, you need to be tending to your emotional health, rather than dating.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Look.

The OP was so incredibly over the moon about this woman before the date that he could hardly type straight. He was talking about how giddily nervous he was. He felt like a high school kid. And so on. Said his palms were sweaty. Eagerly wanted to know when he could kiss his date.

Got her on the dance floor even though he was terrified. But he was willing to "make a fool of himself" just to please her. ANYTHING to please this amazing date. He was practically bursting through the computer screen on this forum with eagerness.

Having already seen this woman (obviously.)

Then he realized he COULD have her. And now...oh wow. Maybe she's too fat. Like...out of nowhere. After all this half-hysterical Fred Astaire jumping all over the place and all-caps typing in eagerness like that of a 17-year-old before the date...

Come on, you guys. Pretty obvious what's going on here. OP isn't ready. He's deliberately putting the brakes on because now it's real. He's not ready.

This is not about the woman's weight.
I wouldn't assume everyone has read all his posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships