Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 12:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

I agree with Sonic on the good girl v. total ho thing. I think MOST people fall between these two extremes. But these "questions" always evolve into extremes. "Well, what if a woman is sleeping with three guys twice a week each so that she's not even 'clean' in between even if she showered..." Cheeses, people have lives. These scenarios are so incredibly unlikely as any sort of larger thing.

Now of course the old "I personally know women who have at least 4 dinner dates a week for free food" saw is being dragged out of the closet. Predictably. Apparently nobody spreading this hyperbole has ever actually attempted such a thing in any sort of practical, ongoing way. I can't imagine doing so myself. Do you have any idea how much time it takes to get ready for a date, find the location, park...have the meal...wrap things up...go home, get all unbuttoned, undone and the makeup off...all this after a day of work? Or even if one or two is on the weekend...it all takes time. On top of searching out the guys and so on...

Unless you're choosing princesses who simply don't work (they're an extreme minority too, just look at women's employment stats), OR total weirdos who have absolutely no life whatsoever outside of working on scoping out new "marks" to feed you four days a week, come on. Don't NOBODY have time for that ish. LOL. Come now. After work? And in between having to do laundry, deal with friends...family...do the grocery shopping, clean the apartment, and the rest of real life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 12:45 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Who the hell has the time????

Don't people have jobs and stuff like that?

Sure, but some people have time like that. The poly people I know basically their lives outside of work is socializing. But even with non poly people, some people date most nights, some people go see bands, or go to poetry events, whatever... its just a lifestyle preference. There are 7 nights a week afterall.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:49 PM

20,381 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
I agree with Sonic on the good girl v. total ho thing. I think MOST people fall between these two extremes. But these "questions" always evolve into extremes. "Well, what if a woman is sleeping with three guys twice a week each so that she's not even 'clean' in between even if she showered..." Cheeses, people have lives. These scenarios are so incredibly unlikely as any sort of larger thing.

Now of course the old "I personally know women who have at least 4 dinner dates a week for free food" saw is being dragged out of the closet. Predictably. Apparently nobody spreading this hyperbole has ever actually attempted such a thing in any sort of practical, ongoing way. I can't imagine doing so myself. Do you have any idea how much time it takes to get ready for a date, find the location, park...have the meal...wrap things up...go home, get all unbuttoned, undone and the makeup off...all this after a day of work? Unless you're choosing princesses who simply don't work (they're an extreme minority too, just look at women's employment stats), come on. Don't NOBODY have time for that ish. LOL. Come now.
Man, I WISH I had that kind of time/energy. Like even if I had all 7 nights a week free, and even given the fact that everyone who knows me seems to think I am the most extroverted person on the planet, I still want, at least half the time, if I have a choice as to staying in or going out, to have some quiet "me time" at home with a book, puzzle, or maybe a computer game or something. I'm too old even at 39 to be burning the candle at both ends.

If I had that kind of time and social energy though, I'd be giving my platonic friends more of it, that's for sure. I don't miss dating, but I long for dinners and movies with gal pals. But we're all busy adults. *sigh* Tired, busy adults.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, but some people have time like that. The poly people I know basically their lives outside of work is socializing. But even with non poly people, some people date most nights, some people go see bands, or go to poetry events, whatever... its just a lifestyle preference. There are 7 nights a week afterall.
Poly people are a minority of a total, as we all know.

The thread assumes MANY women juggle this many ROTATING relationships. Not that they are all in a poly understanding together.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Man, I WISH I had that kind of time/energy. Like even if I had all 7 nights a week free, and even given the fact that everyone who knows me seems to think I am the most extroverted person on the planet, I still want, at least half the time, if I have a choice as to staying in or going out, to have some quiet "me time" at home with a book, puzzle, or maybe a computer game or something. I'm too old even at 39 to be burning the candle at both ends.

If I had that kind of time and social energy though, I'd be giving my platonic friends more of it, that's for sure. I don't miss dating, but I long for dinners and movies with gal pals. But we're all busy adults. *sigh* Tired, busy adults.
Oh no, but Sonic, you're wrong! You, who ARE poly, are wrong about polys - Timber has just told you so. Basically, your life outside of work is socializing. Piece of cake!

Old 03-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Poly people are a minority of a total, as we all know.

The thread assumes MANY women juggle this many ROTATING relationships. Not that they are all in a poly understanding together.

Sure, but the dynamics aren't any different. Going out on 3 first dates a week, isn't any different from going on a 1st, a 4th, and a 20th with three different people. That isn't uncommon really. Some people do more, some less. Some instead of dates spend more time with friends. It's the same time that is spent socializing.

Quote:
Oh no, but Sonic, you're wrong! You, who ARE poly, are wrong about polys - Timber has just told you so. Basically, your life outside of work is socializing. Piece of cake!
I didn't tell anyone anything, and certainly I didn't tell her anything, and I believe Sonic is in a monogamous relationship right now.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Sure, but the dynamics aren't any different. Going out on 3 first dates a week, isn't any different from going on a 1st, a 4th, and a 20th with three different people. That isn't uncommon really. Some people do more, some less.

I didn't tell anyone anything, and certainly I didn't tell her anything, and I believe Sonic is in a monogamous relationship right now.
Poly relationships, while legitimate relationships, are a minority of total relationships and this thread assumes not "polys" per se but simply multiple daters, who may or may not even be telling their other "dates" they had sex just yesterday. In fact, that's the repeat terror stated all over this thread...that maybe she had sex yesterday and the new date would never know it.

"The polys you know" may for whatever reason have much more energy than non-polys (that's odd, both are human beings, but okay), but MOST people who have jobs and lives don't juggle four DIFFERENT dates, revolving, maybe not knowing one another, sex with each, every week "for food" as described. It is a logistical nightmare. It is VERY UNREALISTIC as some sort of larger concern. Very.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Poly relationships, while legitimate relationships, are a minority of total relationships and this thread assumes not "polys" per se but simply multiple daters, who may or may not even be telling their other "dates" they had sex just yesterday. In fact, that's the repeat terror stated all over this thread...that maybe she had sex yesterday and the new date would never know it.

"The polys you know" may for whatever reason have much more energy than non-polys (that's odd, both are human beings, but okay), but MOST people who have jobs and lives don't juggle four DIFFERENT dates, revolving, maybe not knowing one another, sex with each, every week "for food" as described. It is a logistical nightmare. It is VERY UNREALISTIC as some sort of larger concern. Very.

Why are you focusing on poly people? The dynamics are no different. You don't think people socialize 2-3-4 nights/days (weekends) a week commonly? That isn't much.

It's weird you're so keyed in on that (the world poly). It really makes no difference. I'm not poly and it is really immaterial to the discussion. This is nothing logistically difficult about making plans to do stuff with people three or four nights a week. Nothing at all.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Why are you focusing on poly people? The dynamics are no different. You don't think people socialize 2-3-4 nights/days (weekends) a week commonly? That isn't much.

It's weird you're so keyed in on that. It really makes no difference.
I am "focusing" my responses to your bringing up poly, on poly.

It's not weird that I'm answering you in your own context. Not sure I follow? Or why you find it weird that I answered your comment? Is there some way I can clarify?

Old 03-12-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I am "focusing" my responses to your bringing up poly, on poly.

It's not weird that I'm answering you in your own context. Not sure I follow?

It's just weird that you think the dynamics are different. Going out 3-4 times a week, or more, isn't unsual. It doesn't matter if it is a first date, a platonic friend, going to see a band alone, or a 15th day, or whatever. Yes, the poly people I see are pretty extreme in socializing, they are often out every single night. Personally, I can't do that, but it is also not very relevant to the issue at hand. Dating a few people (first dates or 20th dates) isn't difficult or very unusual for people with full time jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships