Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 02:00 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
When I look at my competition - there are TONS of pretty women online. So you guys assume they are all fakes or something is wrong with them? No, depends on the site.

A lot of people don't want to find their next partner half drunk in a bar or club. And anywhere else - on one dares to hit on women anymore, because of the creeper worry or rejection - no one seems to have the balls anymore to try. Sure they do. I have several friends who have been successful in finding someone, one in a club, one at a workout facility, one at a small local pub, and no they are not drunks.

So, if not bar/club, if your friends don't know anyone to set you up with - where would you meet someone if not online? I am married but I will interject that I think online leads itself to a false sense of security or worse yet, the dregs of society that are hiding behind a screen name. Had a friend meet someone online and the person was not even close to what they said when chatting online. She had to get an order of protection against him eventually. I would be very careful about finding someone online.

I think some guys are under the impression, women get hit on all the time in real life. That's not true. How often do you do your errands and see someone hitting on someone? Once a year or less? I see it once in a while. Way more than once or twice a year.

How do you think attractive women find their partner?
The same way the less attractive ones do. Through friends, work, out and about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 02:02 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
OK...not a man either but what I find is the profile is legit but it has been 'borrowed".
The contact message gives it away to anyone with half a brain.
Here's one from this morning

Wow...
I have really found your profile So Much Interesting .You Are Such a Nice and a Lovely woman and It Will be My Great Pleasure to Have Such a woman Like You In My Life..it is been long since and i have always Been praying to God to Find a woman So Much Lovely and Sweet Like You....I am Seriously Looking for a woman With a Good Sense Of Humor,Caring,Loving and Supportive..I Will be So Glad to Know More About You If You Could Kindly Tell me a Little More About You......I am also A Kind woman With a Good Sense Of Humor,Caring,Understanding and Compassionate..It Will be My Great Pleasure to Hear From You Soon.

Ooppps.. couldn't even get the man/woman part right.Maybe 'he' was a female. LOL

Old 03-13-2018, 02:05 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
The same way the less attractive ones do. Through friends, work, out and about.
yes, and that's why attractive and unattractive women are on dating sites - we all use the same tools to find someone. Online and/or offline.

And hardly anyone goes to a bar and stays sober. It is THE PLACE to get hit on.

Not everyone wants to date coworkers or has friends who can set you up. If you are older, you don't hang around in bars/clubs or your friends are all married with kids and don't go out anymore. My friends all wanna meet FOR COFFEE or AT HOME or for A WALK ON THE BEACH and don't leave the house after 8pm.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
OK...not a man either but what I find is the profile is legit but it has been 'borrowed".
The contact message gives it away to anyone with half a brain.
Here's one from this morning

Wow...
I have really found your profile So Much Interesting .You Are Such a Nice and a Lovely woman and It Will be My Great Pleasure to Have Such a woman Like You In My Life..it is been long since and i have always Been praying to God to Find a woman So Much Lovely and Sweet Like You....I am Seriously Looking for a woman With a Good Sense Of Humor,Caring,Loving and Supportive..I Will be So Glad to Know More About You If You Could Kindly Tell me a Little More About You......I am also A Kind woman With a Good Sense Of Humor,Caring,Understanding and Compassionate..It Will be My Great Pleasure to Hear From You Soon.

Ooppps.. couldn't even get the man/woman part right.Maybe 'he' was a female. LOL
okay, that is legit unlegit . I don't write such obvious fake messages.

So when you looked at her/his profile, was it also obviously fake looking?

Old 03-13-2018, 02:14 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
yes, and that's why attractive and unattractive women are on dating sites - we all use the same tools to find someone. Online and/or offline.

And hardly anyone goes to a bar and stays sober. It is THE PLACE to get hit on.

Not everyone wants to date coworkers or has friends who can set you up. If you are older, you don't hang around in bars/clubs or your friends are all married with kids and don't go out anymore. My friends all wanna meet FOR COFFEE or AT HOME or for A WALK ON THE BEACH and don't leave the house after 8pm.
I honestly hardly know anyone that had success on dating sites. It almost like some of you are afraid to step away from your computer and go out into the real world and interact with people. I would much rather trust meeting someone through friends or acquaintances then on the internet.

A typical weekend for my wife and I has us going to a local outdoor market to shop, get some lunch, hit the beach, maybe hit another place on the way home. The whole time meeting tons of people in passing or sitting next to us at a restaurant or local eatery. We enjoy the outdoors so it may be easier for us to meet people, plus my wife will talk to ANYBODY. We have met several long time friends this way and I am sure if I was single I would meet people this way as well.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:18 PM

Oh, here we go. DUH!!

• General Information
    • 46% of dating app users met their current partner online. [1]
    • Men are 4% more likely than women to fall in love and get married when meeting through a dating app. [1]
    • 52% of online daters admitted that dating apps have made them more judgmental of people’s looks. [1]
    • 49 million people from the United States have tried online dating. [4]
    • Romance scam victims in the United States and Canada have reported losing nearly $1 billion in the last three years. [5]
    • On average there are 25,000 scammers online with victims at any one time. [5]
    • A company that screens profiles for dating companies says that 500,000 of the 3.5 million profiles it scans every month are fraudulent. [5]
    • It is estimated that there may be more than a million victims of romance scams in the United States. [5]
    • According to the FBI the greatest dollar loss of any scam that affects individuals is investment fraud, second is romance fraud. [5]
    • In a study of dating apps by Ogury it was found: [6]
      • Men are twice as active on dating apps than women.
      • According to a study most dating apps uninstalls occur within the first day of usage.
      • Thursday proved to be the busiest day on dating apps across most countries.
      • California has the worst male to female ratio on dating apps (77.8% male to 22.2% female) while Wyoming is the most balanced state (63.5% male, 36.5% female).
https://www.datingsitesreviews.com/s...cts-Statistics

Old 03-13-2018, 02:24 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Scams are so obvious it isn't funny. Most fake profiles are fairly obvious too, actually, almost all are. It's a non issue.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:24 PM

I guess my strong accent and claiming to be from Germany may be an indication to be a scam.

Scammers typically create fake online profiles designed to lure you in. They may use a fictional name, or falsely take on the identities of real, trusted people such as military personnel, aid workers or professionals working abroad.

Dating and romance scammers will express strong emotions for you in a relatively short period of time, and will suggest you move the relationship away from the website to a more private channel, such as phone, email or instant messaging. They often claim to be from Australia or another western country, but travelling or working overseas.

Scammers will go to great lengths to gain your interest and trust, such as showering you with loving words, sharing ‘personal information’ and even sending you gifts. They may take months to build what may feel like the romance of a lifetime and may even pretend to book flights to visit you, but never actually come.

Once they have gained your trust and your defences are down, they will ask you (either subtly or directly) for money, gifts or your banking/credit card details. They may also ask you to send pictures or videos of yourself, possibly of an intimate nature.

Their profile on the internet dating website or their Facebook page is not consistent with what they tell you. For example, their profile picture looks different to their description of themselves, or they say they are university educated but their English is poor.

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/types-o...dating-romance

Old 03-13-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Scams are so obvious it isn't funny. Most fake profiles are fairly obvious too, actually, almost all are. It's a non issue.
So you have seen them?

Old 03-13-2018, 02:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
See how easy all that is to avoid? Don't message people off the site. Make a date within a few messages. Simple.

Quote:
So you have seen them?
Of course, every site has them. Every app has them. OKC, bumble, match, tinder, all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships