Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 07:40 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,659,779 times

Advertisements

Really? People post about their divorces and former relationships on FB? Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 07:43 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Really? People post about their divorces and former relationships on FB? Who knew?

My first reaction to that. I know people that are married, and plenty that are in LTRs, that you would never have any clue to it from their FB profiles. If they were divorced it would be even more unlikely to know it from there.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
My first reaction to that. I know people that are married, and plenty that are in LTRs, that you would never have any clue to it from their FB profiles. If they were divorced it would be even more unlikely to know it from there.
Oh I know a lot of people who post this stuff. I remember a post from a former colleague where he even tagged the woman he was divorcing in his divorce announcement post.

It is sort of amusing to see how many people I am not close to who pist this stuff (my facebook friend universe is full of acqauintances).

It is oretty common. Many of my married friends or people in long term relationships will update their facebook to say married to or in a relationship with. So it is no surprise at all.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:57 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Oh I know a lot of people who post this stuff. I remember a post from a former colleague where he even tagged the woman he was divorcing in his divorce announcement post.

It is sort of amusing to see how many people I am not close to who pist this stuff (my facebook friend universe is full of acqauintances).

It is oretty common. Many of my married friends or people in long term relationships will update their facebook to say married to or in a relationship with. So it is no surprise at all.

A lot of people do, but many do not. The point is, you can't depend on it. Usually, relationship status is left blank on the ones I see.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,755,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
People post VERY personal things on FB. Your typical political post is pretty rampant and then I've seen the emotional posts where someone is sick or going through struggles.. etc.. people have been treating FB status updates like their diary. My brother's ex-gf used to rant about him every time they had a fight. She didn't name him but it was obvious she was talking about him. His other ex-gf tagged her current partner on a rant. It's very entertaining to read. Better than the National Enquirer.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:21 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,912,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I suppose in the long run it makes for a good story, getting rejected by some single cat lady.
You seem, based on the very little that I know about you, like someone I would reject as well.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:24 AM

20,325 posts, read 14,547,380 times
I have little patience for people who are drama mamas on FB. I am only there for funnies and cat videos. I refuse to have serious "debates" (people aren't going to change their positions because of a clever argument in a FB comment, come on now) and to indulge in fits of outrage and all that noise there, too.

I curate my feed to only show me what I am there to see. I am happy to unfollow anyone who annoys me. It's not so much of a "you want to be in an echo chamber and won't listen to different opinions" as it is, I don't really give a damn about your politics, I'm not there for that, I'm there to see cool photography and art, animal vids, jokes, interesting articles, and the haikus and stories that a particularly witty friend likes to post. I use it how I like. I believe I have that right.

I don't have any photos of me and a particular male partner, except for one taken at a military ball with my ex husband in 2010. I have only that one pic of him, and no photos of my current bf I've been with for 2 years, or us together. I don't have to share my relationship all over FB, if I don't want to...and that seems to be a very individual choice. Some people do it a lot, some don't.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:32 AM

1,178 posts, read 683,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I have little patience for people who are drama mamas on FB. I am only there for funnies and cat videos. I refuse to have serious "debates" (people aren't going to change their positions because of a clever argument in a FB comment, come on now) and to indulge in fits of outrage and all that noise there, too.

I curate my feed to only show me what I am there to see. I am happy to unfollow anyone who annoys me. It's not so much of a "you want to be in an echo chamber and won't listen to different opinions" as it is, I don't really give a damn about your politics, I'm not there for that, I'm there to see cool photography and art, animal vids, jokes, interesting articles, and the haikus and stories that a particularly witty friend likes to post. I use it how I like. I believe I have that right.

I use it the same way.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:38 AM

20,705 posts, read 19,880,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Well, realistically, she's 36 without kids and living alone with her cats. The women that I know IRL that fits this criteria (and I know a few of them) have major issues.
Wow. You are quite judgmental.

I have a good friend who has 7 cats in her house. She has long hair, vegetarian and is a teacher.

She has been married for 25 years and you'll see nothing about that on facebook. So what does that make her? Half crazy? Or is her husband then weird, too?

Old 03-15-2018, 10:19 AM

19,487 posts, read 12,122,052 times
She's just not into you. There is a book about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships