Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 05:45 PM

21 posts, read 21,532 times

Advertisements

No marriage...typo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 05:56 PM

In this relationship each of us are financially independent. We enjoy the time shared but I'm questioning the future. We are both family oriented however, this relationship differs from any other I've had because there was the death of a spouse & young adults that still live at home.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
It sounds as though this man will continue to be dominated by his 25 yr old daughters and that is odd that they don't date anyone . They sound as though they have made their dad and mom their whole world and they are not ready for you to take or date their dad at all . You have to get a hotel room because they are not grown up enough to understand their dad has a right to a life they sound incredibly spoiled . I think they will always control their dad until he passes from this world to the next . My advice to you is to get out now this is a powder keg waiting to blow . Dad will never do anything without lil girls approval . what a mess he has allowed in his home sorry but true . Get out of this relationship now .
If the daughters are not even dating, I suspect that they will be living with their father until he dies. Unless, you want to spend all of your weekends in a hotel, hiding from his daughters, I would move on.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:18 PM

To clear this matter up... we are NOT married.
My BF was his wife's caregiver until the end which was 3 years ago.
Thank you all for your kind input.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:38 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Are the daughters actually telling him what to do or is he just doing what he thinks will keep them comfortable?

Old 03-20-2018, 07:06 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
I admire the fathers loyality to his daughters but he's taking this a too far.

They are 25, should be out having the time of their lives. I lost my mom at 12 and for the most part matured without her like most women. Engaged twice by 25. I wasn't even told my mom was dying, I knew it by instinct. Different time, was the 60's. She was bedridden for months, Breast cancer that spread, didn't have the drugs we have now where someone can be up walking around, driving, running errands, and spend 10 days in hospice before dying. ((My brother)
I can't go back wards, my parents did the best they knew how.

Will say I went to counseling and got out the anger, etc. around losing her.

Its his house. If the 25 year olds have isssue, its just that, their issues.

I too recommend counseling NOW for these girls. I'm doubting very much if the deased mother would like to see them in the situation they are in. If they were most women's daughters, it'd break our heart to see them living with their father, STUCK. It's been 3 years which is a lifetime in your 20's. If they both work, they should move out, live together and mature like everyone else does moving through stages of life.

Sorry but dad is going to have to put his foot down and let them have their lives. Just like dad needs to have his. Guessing he is 50 to 60, way to young to throw in the towel on moving on with another women.

Of course with the girls at home, dad has a built in excuse to stay stuck too. Maybe that is what he really wants.

OP, have you suggested counseling for all 3. Yeah its a bad place for you to be, don't think it would go well. Have you met any of his siblings? Maybe they could suggest it.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:10 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Moved from grief and mourning, as grief is peripheral to the questions being asked.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:49 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Of course with the girls at home, dad has a built in excuse to stay stuck too. Maybe that is what he really wants.

I seldom take the negative stand on most of the threads but this occurred to me, too.
Not necessarily 'stuck in the past but avoiding anything more committed.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:30 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I think it’s time the boyfriend tells the girls to grow up. If he doesn’t, move on.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:43 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Are the daughters actually telling him what to do or is he just doing what he thinks will keep them comfortable?
For that matter, he could simply be using them as an excuse to keep the OP at a distance. We wouldn't have any idea what the situation truly is, and the OP may not, either.

RE: the daughters: I wouldn't assume that just because they're living at home and not dating that they're somehow emotionally or socially stunted, or are used to revolving around their parents (one of whom is now deceased). They're in grad school. It sounds reasonable to live at home while going to school. It's also not unusual for grad students to be too busy with studies to date. They may have at least part-time jobs, to pay for groceries, etc., maybe they're even paying their own tuition. They may not have time to date. I'm just mentioning it, because people seem to be making assumptions about them, that are unwarranted, based on the limited info we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships