Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times

Advertisements

Not only are they nasty to me but they are nasty to my children. They pit the grandchildren against each other so during family gatherings the cousins are in bitter competitions. It is awful. They will plant seeds of competition by saying "Oh, you are getting tutoredin math? Math is your cousins best subject! Oh well, we will find SOMETHING you are better at."

My mother and father inlaw go on vacations with my husbands sisters and their husbands and children and we are not invited. Not only are we not invited, the children are told not to tell my children they all went together. Of course, they tell my children the first opportunity they get.

The latest (but not the last, I'm sure!)...they all got together for Easter and we were not invited. Did I mention we all live in the same town? Until last year we lived in the same neighborhood! Needless to say, we moved from the naighborhood we shared because my children weree hurt every time they saw their grandparents drive by our house to get to their cousins house.

This post could go on and on. My question is this...WHAT DO I DO?? We have talked to them nicely, we have talked to them not so nicely, we have not talked to them for 1.5 years in order to have distance. We can't seem to find one that works for us. Fortunately, my husband sees what is going on and I am not doing this alone.

OK, I need some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Stay away from them. If they don't want you at their gatherings, oblige them. Why be a masochist and take their abuse?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM

This is the area I am leaning towards. Thanks for the reinforcement!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Stay away from them. If they don't want you at their gatherings, oblige them. Why be a masochist and take their abuse?
I will second this advice. There is enough unpleasantness your children will encounter in their lives, why add to it?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I will second this advice. There is enough unpleasantness your children will encounter in their lives, why add to it?
Not to mention the emotional scars they will bear.

Now, after several months, you will be confronted about why you're staying away from family events. Don't get emotional. Just state simply, "Well, given how you didn't invite us to several family gatherings, and given how you play people off against one another in the family, we just don't feel you provide a healthy, nurturing environment for our children. If you want to see them, change how you relate to your family. Thanks!"

Old 03-25-2008, 10:19 AM

601 posts, read 1,903,973 times
I would not put myself or my children in such a position as to be abused like that. If they don't value your family they should not be so privileged as to be with you and yours under any circumstances.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Thank you all so much. I told my husband that it was unhealthy for my children to see their mother and father being, for all intents and purposes, abused by family members. This helps take the "family guilt" out of the equation and just do what I would do if they were just cruddy acquaintances...have nothing to do with them.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
Yeah... stay away.. sooner or later the in-laws will get the picture...

Old 03-25-2008, 10:26 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,317 times
You can add my concurrence to that list.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Not only are they nasty to me but they are nasty to my children. They pit the grandchildren against each other so during family gatherings the cousins are in bitter competitions. It is awful. They will plant seeds of competition by saying "Oh, you are getting tutoredin math? Math is your cousins best subject! Oh well, we will find SOMETHING you are better at."

My mother and father inlaw go on vacations with my husbands sisters and their husbands and children and we are not invited. Not only are we not invited, the children are told not to tell my children they all went together. Of course, they tell my children the first opportunity they get.

The latest (but not the last, I'm sure!)...they all got together for Easter and we were not invited. Did I mention we all live in the same town? Until last year we lived in the same neighborhood! Needless to say, we moved from the naighborhood we shared because my children weree hurt every time they saw their grandparents drive by our house to get to their cousins house.

This post could go on and on. My question is this...WHAT DO I DO?? We have talked to them nicely, we have talked to them not so nicely, we have not talked to them for 1.5 years in order to have distance. We can't seem to find one that works for us. Fortunately, my husband sees what is going on and I am not doing this alone.

OK, I need some advice.

What makes you and your husband, most comfortable, at ease and when you feel the best about this issue?

I ask, b/c only you and your husband can answer this question.

I, have a nasty daughter in law, who is manipulative, and sneaky....when My son is around, she is sweet as pie to me, and when he is not around, she is nasty and mean. I tried for 10 years....then I cut them off...I am more at peace when I am not connected to them, reason being, my son, feels badly but refuses to get his head out of the sand. I think, I did what was best for all of us concerned, as it makes it so difficult for him. Its a battle I really don't want to win.

But, you must do what gives you both the most peace...I find that if I am around them, I become very upset, get physically sick to my stomache adn everything replays and replays...and she never ceases to amaze me...I cannot believe people can be that manipulative and nasty. So, you must both discuss it, and come to a decission, then stick to it. You really don't need them in your life to be happy or to seek approval to be happy.

They sound very cruel and unthinking...self absorbed. Hurt terrible, doesn't it?

Good luck and hugs
Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships