Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 4,148 times

Advertisements

My close friend and I travelled together for university abroad. She wanted to leave everything behind and start a new life with me. She was suicidal and miserable, and I promised I'd take care of her.

I paid her flight ticket, her dorm, food and bought her new clothes.
I also covered a bit of her tuition.
I'm not some spoiled, rich kid. This was all from my own salary.(her family's financial situation was bad)

At first everything was fine. Then one night I got drunk. Accidentally, I kissed her neck and I remember her pulling me in closer. However I pushed her off and got aggressive and we ended up fighting. Then 2 of my friends came to see what's going on. Out of anger, I screamed at her "I'm paying everything for you and you don't appreciate anything!"

After this incident,we argued a lot.
She started distancing herself, not wanting us to sleep together in the same bed or cuddle how we used to. She said she was afraid of me. She would get physical sometimes, and pull my hair or bite me so hard she'd leave marks.

She decided to move in with our other friend and we barely spoke. I noticed that she was going around to random people and telling them stories that I've abused and harassed her.
It reached a limit when she once said to me " I hope you die already." I took it really badly because I had attempted earlier with a drug overdose after one of our fights. She was there and she broke down crying asking me not to leave her.

Anyway after she said those words, I lunged at her and we started fighting on the street. Then she started screaming for help and called cops on me.
I stayed away from her after that. And then I started regretting and missing her. I started drinking more and cutting my wrists to repent.
Then I decided to go to her and apologize and try to fix things. She held my hand and said "we tried and it won't work out. I don't want you. I feel nothing for you anymore." When I asked her what I've done to deserve this, she replied "I cared about you. And I was in love with you" after a pause she continued fast "as a friend."
I started crying, she wiped my tears and hugged me.

She also said "im not worth for you to cry over. Why me? And let me teach you something, if someone doesn't want you, don't try to fix it. What's broken once can't be fixed."
She also said she's really over me.
I want to understand, what logical reason would it be for her to do this? I felt hurt that I sacrificed so much and she never appreciated a single thing. I wanted to give her all the things I was deprived of my entire life. I didn't mean to use it against her, but I felt hurt how she never appreciated anything. I did not expect anything from her, just a tad appreciation.
We used to talk everyday. We'd hold hands, cuddle and sleep together. But now she is scared of me.

I feel extremely guilty and upset and I don't know what to do. How can I get her back?

Moderator note: Two threads on the same topic have been merged into this one thread. If any posts appear redundant or out of order, that is the reason.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-29-2018 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 06:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
You are two mentally unhealthy individuals, better apart than together. You cannot get her back, nor should you. Deal with your own issues, and you'll find somebody who doesn't need you to save them, but will be a true partner.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Major drama issues. And substance abuse.

What do you mean, she didn't appreciate anything? What were you expecting from her? Did she thank you for paying her travel and living expenses? Why did you get aggressive with her?

You can't get her back, after the way you behaved with her (on more than one occasion). Are you still in university? If so, go to the counseling center, to talk this out with a mental health care professional. It's a free service. Otherwise, you'll have to pay for it, but it will be worth it. You have a lot of issues to work out with yourself.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Is it the same girl from this post?
Is our friendship appropriate?

Old 03-28-2018, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 4,148 times
Yes

Old 03-28-2018, 07:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Like others have said, neither of you are particularly stable. Please move on and seek professional help.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:55 PM

93 posts, read 63,884 times
Really sad story. Professional help asap.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Here's some really good advice from your other thread, OP:

Quote:
Both of you seem to have genuinely troubled backgrounds. The fact that her mother beat her up is astounding and alarming.

I came from a similarly troubled background. I was determined not to repeat my parents' mistakes, but I could only do that when I stopped entering romantic relationships. I had been hoping all the time they would fix me.

You cannot fix each other. Take your time to heal, to get well, to face your past and the demons that come with it. Then you will be able to find a romantic partner. I know. I've been happily married for more than 16 years now.
You should follow it.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:20 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous97 View Post
Yes
What didn't you get from that other thread which you hope to glean on this thread (creating multiple threads on the same topic is against the terms of service)?

Plenty of good advice on that other thread, yet you ignored them and continued with this girl.

And apparently now you lunged at and attacked this girl.

Please get some professional help, and I have zero sympathy for someone that resorts to violence, especially against women.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
I want to understand, what logical reason would it be for her to do this? I felt hurt that I sacrificed so much and she never appreciated a single thing.
Really? Sounds like this was the catalyst:

Quote:
Accidentally, I kissed her neck and I remember her pulling me in closer. However I pushed her off and got aggressive and we ended up fighting. Then 2 of my friends came to see what's going on. Out of anger, I screamed at her "I'm paying everything for you and you don't appreciate anything!"
The timing and the way you worded it makes it sound like you expected sex from her because you were "paying for everything."

Quote:
But now she is scared of me.
I'm sure she is. You were violent and out of control.

I agree that you need to forget this friendship and seek professional counseling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships