Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:28 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
At risk of offending with this analogy, I bought a new car recently. It's not the car I would have bought if I could have bought any car I wanted. But within the options actually available to me, I feel like I made a good choice, and I'm quite happy with it.

So did I settle, or did I choose wisely?
The bolded is all that counts.

Another car analogy; you've always wanted a Jaguar, say. They're beautiful cars. You save up, and finally buy your dream car. But ownership of the dream car turns out to be very different from the fantasy/dream. You discover they tend to be delicate, and require a lot of maintenance, niggly little repairs, and such. The car turns out to be so high-maintenance, you decide to divorce the car, and get something more practical, that will give you decades of problem-free enjoyment.

Have you settled, or made a wise choice, after gaining wisdom from disillusioning experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 11:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
If you say so.

Not sure why people are bringing up perfection. I said nothing about it in the OP.

You said if you're not getting everything you want, you're settling. 100 out of 100 is everything out of 100. It is also a perfect score.

Simple. Really.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:35 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Another car analogy; you've always wanted a Jaguar, say. They're beautiful cars. You save up, and finally buy your dream car. But ownership of the dream car turns out to be very different from the fantasy/dream. You discover they tend to be delicate, and require a lot of maintenance, niggly little repairs, and such. The car turns out to be so high-maintenance, you decide to divorce the car, and get something more practical, that will give you decades of problem-free enjoyment.

Have you settled, or made a wise choice, after gaining wisdom from disillusioning experience?
I can want a cheeseburger and settle for a hamburger and find myself HAPPY with the hamburger.

Doesn't change the fact that I settled.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:36 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You said if you're not getting everything you want, you're settling. 100 out of 100 is everything out of 100. It is also a perfect score.

Simple. Really.
Well, I'm happy at least a few people here are not settling.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Yes.
Sonny's example isn't an example of "setting", though. It's an example of maturity influencing the decision.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I can want a cheeseburger and settle for a hamburger and find myself HAPPY with the hamburger.

Doesn't change the fact that I settled.
That doesn't address my scenario. It addresses hominy's scenario, of going for brunette instead of blonde, but it doesn't tough my example.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm happy at least a few people here are not settling.

Most people don't settle. The problem isn't settling, the problem is your flawed definition of settling and lack of understanding of how relationships and love works.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:50 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Sonny's example isn't an example of "setting", though. It's an example of maturity influencing the decision.

Correct.

Some people just have different preferences. And nothing wrong with that, but I'd hardly consider a scenario as someone who's perfect but has the wrong hair color as "settling". To each their own, I suppose.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:08 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:

You made a wise choice when your hand was forced to make a choice. My point is what is forcing us to make a choice for anything regarding relationships and being single until something suitable comes along should be looked at as a good choice and not a bad one.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You made a wise choice when your hand was forced to make a choice. My point is what is forcing us to make a choice for anything regarding relationships and being single until something suitable comes along should be looked at as a good choice and not a bad one.

It can be a good choice. "Standards" can also be used as an excuse not to actually make connections with, and be emotionally intimate with, or vulnerable to other people. In that case it would not be a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships