Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:46 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times

Advertisements

This is filled with so many hot buttons it's like City Data Relationships Forum clickbait and should come with a trigger warning.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
This is filled with so many hot buttons it's like City Data Relationships Forum clickbait and should come with a trigger warning.
At least he didn't say anything about his height

Old 04-09-2018, 10:48 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Or checking out an international dating site.

(oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that)

Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Why is he immature? There is a difference between aging naturally and not giving a crap about your looks anymore.

She let herself go after she felt secure enough in the relationship and didn't put any effort into looking good for her partner anymore and he should just find her sexy despite that?

I think they did the right thing in breaking up. He lost attraction for her. End of story.
I agree. I don't see him having done anything wrong here really. Yes, he was shallow, but at the same gaining weight is something that will impact "attraction". If part of her gaining weight is that he loses attraction, I think that's only fair.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:35 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Why is he immature? There is a difference between aging naturally and not giving a crap about your looks anymore.

She let herself go after she felt secure enough in the relationship and didn't put any effort into looking good for her partner anymore and he should just find her sexy despite that?

I think they did the right thing in breaking up. He lost attraction for her. End of story.
I kinda gotta agree with this. I don't think OP is a jerk, he was just blindsided when she ultimately pulled the plug on the relationship. But on the other hand, I think it takes both people to make sure to stay the same person who you fell in love with. People often settle and let themselves go, stop going on dates, basically stop doing the things that made them both fall in love and it can take its toll on a relationship. It takes two to tango. But in the end, they both had certain goals that the other didn't share. Having kids is a major deal and you can't force that. OP wanted to travel and see the world. Having kids will change all of that. Sadly, OP is in the phase where he kinda wanted to break up with her, but then when she did it and pulled the plug, now he's looking back and the "what-if's". It's hard on a guy when a break-up happens, especially if you lived together....when she moves out, no guy wants to still be in that apt will all the good memories were at.

In the end it just didn't work out and it'll be better for the OP and a lesson learned for the next relationship. OP, it's going to suck the next couple of months, I'm not going to sugarcoat that at all. But when you're ready to get out there, you'll be ready and good to go and meet a girl who has the same goals as you. And you have to remember, if you and your ex didn't have the same goals...if you'd have continued the relationship, it was doomed to fail one day. Be glad you got out now instead of wasting more time with someone who isn't on your playing field.

Last edited by sonnymarkjiz; 04-09-2018 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 11:45 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Hmmm... Is OP the victim of Bait and Switch? Or does age, level of comfort, and stress factor in?
Perhaps she sees you as less attractive due to the reasons you stated above, and so just decided to chunk you.

Let her be.

Move on.

Do some more growing up.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:54 AM

174 posts, read 113,128 times
when you are 35, find a near virgin girl who is skinny and in her early 20s to have kids with. problem solved.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I kinda gotta agree with this. I don't think OP is a jerk, he was just blindsided when she ultimately pulled the plug on the relationship. But on the other hand, I think it takes both people to make sure to stay the same person who you fell in love with. People often settle and let themselves go, stop going on dates, basically stop doing the things that made them both fall in love and it can take its toll on a relationship. It takes two to tango. But in the end, they both had certain goals that the other didn't share. Having kids is a major deal and you can't force that. OP wanted to travel and see the world. Having kids will change all of that. Sadly, OP is in the phase where he kinda wanted to break up with her, but then when she did it and pulled the plug, now he's looking back and the "what-if's". It's hard on a guy when a break-up happens, especially if you lived together....when she moves out, no guy wants to still be in that apt will all the good memories were at.

In the end it just didn't work out and it'll be better for the OP and a lesson learned for the next relationship. OP, it's going to suck the next couple of months, I'm not going to sugarcoat that at all. But when you're ready to get out there, you'll be ready and good to go and meet a girl who has the same goals as you. And you have to remember, if you and your ex didn't have the same goals...if you'd have continued the relationship, it was doomed to fail one day. Be glad you got out now instead of wasting more time with someone who isn't on your playing field.
This was very helpful, and I think it's spot on. I will say that I had a feeling the breakup was coming (we'd been in a break for 2 months, which she'd wanted after I'd told her my fears of commitment), and she told me last week she wanted to talk, so I kind of anticipated it. I also think I'd be feeling this way even if I'd been the one to ultimately pull the plug. I really, really loved her (yes, even though I didn't always find her to be sexually attractive, I still loved her deeply)...we shared an amazing emotional connection.

I think I'm just getting clouded by a huge wave of nostalgia. Thinking back to all of the places we've been, things we did together, the way she laughed, her smell, the shows we'd watch together, you get the idea. I wish we didn't both still love each other as this would probably be a lot easier.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:11 PM

49 posts, read 21,191 times
Filling the hole she left emotionally, will take a while but realistically, you didn't do much to convince her during the 2 months separation, and that is why, she heroically informed you that you two are breaking up, as opposed to ghosting away from the relationship.

But from a practical point of view, this was the right time to break up. It was apparent that you both wanted different things in a different timeline, and neither was willing to adjust to the other's ideas of what should be happening.

You mention about strong love and maybe you had that, but it wasn't the same love that is present in a relationship. It might be the kind of love you have for a partner that you didn't dislike, but you're not in love with anymore either. As a result, it feels like a sad end to the relationship because both of you didn't hate each other towards the end, but it wasn't going to end up in a marriage either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships