Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 02:37 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times

Advertisements

Yes but we both agreed it was a waste of time and stopped. For our needs it just wasn’t necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 03:06 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times
Been through it a couple of times, didn't really have any lasting benefits. I imagine it only works when both people are willing to focus on changes they need to make on themselves. Each time I started out willing to try making changes, but lost enthusiasm when I felt I was not seeing any effort from my SO to do the same.

It definitely will NOT work if you go into it looking for someone to team up with you and join in telling your partner what they are doing wrong.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:21 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Would you ever consider attending couple's counseling?

For what?

Old 04-16-2018, 03:23 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Sure, why not? Individual counseling is good, too. Sometimes everyone needs objective advice.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:37 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
I've been on both sides of the fence. It is for more than preservation against divorce. What has been stated already cannot be emphasized enough: it requires equal work from both parties; it is not an opportunity for 2 to gang up on one; it can reveal a lack of match; it can be a wonderful benefit to see a third party with objectivity. In my clinical group, I'm known as the 'couples' therapist, and I work with hetero and homosexual couples.

Maintaining cohesion in a couple is hard work. One person's resistance makes in nary impossible. I've recommended for benefit and I've recommended for divorce. Life isn't about suffering. Couples work requires dynamic processes, and I find it akin to group therapy or a personality projective. And sometimes, the presented issue is NOT for professional counseling. That's not always an easy decision to make, though I've encouraged thoughtful dialogue, which offers even more benefit than can be believed.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:20 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Only as a requirement to get married. Holy smokes, it was boring. Basically, we spent something like four Wednesday nights having "Communicate with one another" drilled into our heads. It was valuable advice but could have been covered in about twenty seconds.

The poor couple who ran the seminar literally kept a list of topics on their refrigerator. When they ran out of things to talk about, they'd walk into the kitchen, choose one, and talk about that.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:24 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Only as a requirement to get married. Holy smokes, it was boring. Basically, we spent something like four Wednesday nights having "Communicate with one another" drilled into our heads. It was valuable advice but could have been covered in about twenty seconds.

The poor couple who ran the seminar literally kept a list of topics on their refrigerator. When they ran out of things to talk about, they'd walk into the kitchen, choose one, and talk about that.
Hilarious!

Old 04-16-2018, 04:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
We went. I was underwhelmed by the counselor herself but it wouldn't have made a difference. He thought her job was to adjudicate our disputes. He had no interest in considering another point of view. He just wanted me to be someone I was not. 13 years later I still think I made the right decision. Never a regret.

And yes, I would go again. Not with him ;-)

Old 04-16-2018, 06:31 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
I (we) have considered it. But I asked my wife if she would be willing to make any changes and she was shocked, obviously she is perfect.

Her expectation is/was that the counselor would totally take her side on any and everything and tell me that I am wrong. When I explained it doesn't work like that then she told me to go alone, which I didn't-no point.

On the flip side of the coin, I know at least two counselors very well and their own personal life is a mess. So not sure if I can rely on them to sort mine out.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
No way, no how.

"Couple's" counseling is really woman's counseling, because that's whose side the counselor always takes. It doesn't matter if they're a man or a woman. I, as a man, have absolutely nothing to gain from "couple's" counseling. I don't want two people---my SO and the counselor---sitting there and blaming me for everything. If I want gaslighting, I'll look at historic streetlights, rather than some quack's office with diplomas on the walls. Probably obtained from a diploma mill or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships