Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:14 PM

785 posts, read 953,471 times

Advertisements

...is the pool of people changes a bit but there's been many instances I've seen the same people on there months later. Just an interesting observation. Like revolving doors.

Granted I've been using apps in my city the past year and took a brief break but I have seen several women I talked to, were interested in, etc that came back.

Anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 01:24 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
...is the pool of people changes a bit but there's been many instances I've seen the same people on there months later. Just an interesting observation. Like revolving doors.

Granted I've been using apps in my city the past year and took a brief break but I have seen several women I talked to, were interested in, etc that came back.

Anyone else notice this?
Yes, it’s not uncommon.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yes, it’s not uncommon.
It seriously makes me question the effectiveness of online dating as a whole.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
I don’t see why it should. It works for some people and not for others. My coworker married the first guy who she ever met from a dating site but had she not met him, she could’ve been on and off the sites for who knows how long? Then you have people who may have gotten into relationships via other means and then they later return to the dating sites, so that isn’t the dating site’s fault that their relationship didn’t work out.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Well, for the average person, it's going to take way longer than three months to find a life mate, you know? I don't think this is unusual. If it took us all three months or less, everybody would be hooked up.

Also, people break up. The first person you date may not be the person you marry. The first 10 people you date may not contain the first person you marry.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:35 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
In bigger cities you have more options. So you have the daters who are serial daters who never really settle down because they have so many different options. Also, yes, people see each other, break up, etc.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don’t see why it should. It works for some people and not for others. My coworker married the first guy who she ever met from a dating site but had she not met him, she could’ve been on and off the sites for who knows how long? Then you have people who may have gotten into relationships via other means and then they later return to the dating sites, so that isn’t the dating site’s fault that their relationship didn’t work out.
It's just modern culture and the problem of a lot of choices. It's like people get GIGS (grass is greener syndrome) on a higher level with online dating. I could be borderline venting here lol.

I've only seen one of my friends get married off a dating app and they were culturally very similar, being Indian, and both wanted something serious. Another friend started a relationship from it but not without it's problems which result from multiple matches and attention.

I'm also in a big city so I may have a different perspective as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
In bigger cities you have more options. So you have the daters who are serial daters who never really settle down because they have so many different options. Also, yes, people see each other, break up, etc.
Probably what I'm seeing.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:41 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
I suspect many people are like me ... they casually date, might meet someone and enter a relationship, don't deactivate or "hide" themselves from the app (it never occurs to them), break up (or not), maybe start using the app again (or not). Just because someone's profile might have been on the site for a while doesn't mean they were "active" that whole time; and also some people just like to casually date, so why wouldn't they be on the site long term?

I've had guys on Tinder ask me how long I've been on the app, and when I tell them they say something like, "Wow, a long time..." which is odd to me. First, less than two years isn't long, and second, I haven't been an active user that whole time...I've been in relationships on and off from day 1. Do people think people meet someone, then get off the app forever, never to return?

Old 04-16-2018, 01:42 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
It happens in real life, too, but the difference is, that IRL it's not up for display on a community board. People date, think they've found someone interesting, pair off for a few months, maybe longer, it doesn't work out, so they're back in circulation. Maybe you noticed something similar happening in HS or college?

Old 04-16-2018, 01:46 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
So because you just noticed this for the first time, it's a HUGE THING?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships