Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 05:48 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusland2 View Post
No. I saw issues fairly early on. This company is brand new anyway. WHen he started making threats my deal wasnt completely done.

I consulted lawyers and they told me to put him a paid contractor to establish is role, so he doesn't try to come back with some Facebook stuff in a year or two. So that's what we did.

He got a monthly stipend for his work. And I think that will help me in the overall company but the concern is had posted about was for the "friend" who is helping us get a bigger contract and has expressed interest in the company itself.

I have started to think about ways to shut him down.

I do like the idea expressed here -- of talking with his "friend" and asking him if his interest is dependent on my fiance. I don't know if he would be honest, but since we are currently drafting documents to make him a legal formal advisor with an option to invest -- I think he will have to be.
no...just no. Why would you even think about making his position more solid?

Old 04-21-2018, 05:50 PM

22 posts, read 8,946 times
NO! Not my fiance! THE "FRIEND" who wants to be a formal advisor on my company. NOT MY FIANCE.

I think it might be wise to ask the "friend" if he would be dependent on my fiance to be involved.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
no...just no. Why would you even think about making his position more solid?

Old 04-21-2018, 06:03 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
If you are smart enough to start a profitable business, you should be smart enough to tell this jackass gth

Old 04-21-2018, 06:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
NO! Not my fiance! THE "FRIEND" who wants to be a formal advisor on my company. NOT MY FIANCE.

I think it might be wise to ask the "friend" if he would be dependent on my fiance to be involved.....
I think people are referring the fact that. you said, in response to your SO's demand that you give him a stake in the business, that once you two are married, what's yours will be his, too. Or that general idea.

OP, do you truly still see a future in this relationship? It's worrisome.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:15 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
Quote:

Okay. I think it would be wise to have the least amount of people involved in your business as possible. You and your partner agree that you need a formal advisor? Whose friend is this advisor? Do you need to have a formal agreement, or can advice be freelanced?

If so, does it need to be someone's friend? You only control the business by 2%. A very wise business person once said to me, "Do you know what a partner is? It's someone who wants in your pockets."

Maybe a thread in a business forum would be a good idea?

Old 04-21-2018, 06:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Either way, OP, why would you even consider marrying someone who threatens you with legal action, etc or threatens you in general???

Do you realize how messed up that is??

Old 04-21-2018, 06:20 PM

I own 51 percent of the company. my business partner owns 49 percent.

The formal advisor is significant. We are offering him commission for any contract he secures. He wants option grant if/when we take a first round of outside investors. We are also offering him 2 percent equity for 30 hours of work per month AND that isn't until 2 years.

This needs to be formal because he is significant, wants equity and also is prepared to invest at a certain stage....

Quote:
Okay. I think it would be wise to have the least amount of people involved in your business as possible. You and your partner agree that you need a formal advisor? Whose friend is this advisor? Do you need to have a formal agreement, or can advice be freelanced?

If so, does it need to be someone's friend? You only control the business by 2%. A very wise business person once said to me, "Do you know what a partner is? It's someone who wants in your pockets."

Old 04-21-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Either way, OP, why would you even consider marrying someone who threatens you with legal action, etc or threatens you in general???

Yeah, the whole scenario isn't making sense anymore.Nobody stays with an SO like that, much less marries them.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I own 51 percent of the company. my business partner owns 49 percent.

The formal advisor is significant. We are offering him commission for any contract he secures. He wants option grant if/when we take a first round of outside investors. We are also offering him 2 percent equity for 30 hours of work per month AND that isn't until 2 years.

This needs to be formal because he is significant, wants equity and also is prepared to invest at a certain stage....
How do you know he's not a Trojan horse, introduced by your SO? How can you be sure where his loyalties lie?

Old 04-21-2018, 06:23 PM

That's what I've come back to. Why is he scaring me, threatening me or bullying me over a company that he wanted NO PART OF until I got an investor and people saw the value of the concept and platform.

NOW he says I am leaving him out and "using him". I reminded him that when I asked him for his help before I got an investor he said "I'm not going to be your bit*h or your employee".

Then yesterday he said "great...now you think of me as your employee....I will NEVER be your employee"

He threatened to go get his OWN TEAM and do it 10 times better than what I'm doing.

I said so now you are planning to take MY IDEA and go do it with your own team? He said he meant on his OWN idea....and show me how successful he can be.

He is just flat out jealous and mad -- depressed that I'm doing better than he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships