Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 12:27 PM

814 posts, read 760,103 times

Advertisements

Many sites have something that matches compatibility. OKCupid has an extensively long questionnaire. When you get a match it displays a score like you are 80% compatible with this person. Then you can look and see how they answer3d questions that are important to you. That's assuming they answered more and a few or any at all.

Nothing new basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 12:28 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
Many sites have something that matches compatibility. OKCupid has an extensively long questionnaire. When you get a match it displays a score like you are 80% compatible with this person. Then you can look and see how they answer3d questions that are important to you. That's assuming they answered more and a few or any at all.

Nothing new basically.
Yes, but with OKC you have to answer those questions. With FB, the likes are already done. Lots of people don't like OKC because of the long and personal questionnaire. Having the interests in music, etc already done would be very appealing. I'm not sure how many other sites USE the FB interests/likes to do the matching, which would be FBs advantage, if they went that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I have a whole bunch of guys on my Halloween and horror Pinterest boards.
Published stats are they're about 80% female. But I read other places it is becoming more male (new users are a higher % male than current). 20% male is much more than I would have guessed.

https://www.omnicoreagency.com/pinterest-statistics/

Old 05-02-2018, 12:39 PM

814 posts, read 760,103 times
I guess it's a good idea. Thing is therenhave been plenty good ideas and yet nothing has superseeded anything. Trashy POF is still going strong, even humble where women have to send the first message. They just send "hi" then move on to ignore your reply or text endlessly.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I guess it's a good idea. Thing is therenhave been plenty good ideas and yet nothing has superseeded anything. Trashy POF is still going strong, even humble where women have to send the first message. They just send "hi" then move on to ignore your reply or text endlessly.

I think bumble is great. The majority of my OLD dates have been from there the last two years, including a super cool woman I've been seeing a couple of months. That was a brilliant, albeit obvious, variation from tinder to do.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:52 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,451,329 times
It makes sense (for Facebook) to cash in on this and add tools for people since people are already using Facebook as a means to find and date.

Last edited by rego00123; 05-02-2018 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-02-2018, 02:00 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
Quote:
I haven't used Bumble, since I value equal treatment -- one group/gender shouldn't be overtly treated differently (by the platform) IMO. I think the OKCupid model is probably best where both parties "like" before messages are viewed.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I haven't used Bumble, since I value equal treatment -- one group/gender shouldn't be overtly treated differently (by the platform) IMO. I think the OKCupid model is probably best where both parties "like" before messages are viewed.
The reason Bumble is setup for women to send the first message was due to feedback from "customers" about Tinder and the number of sketchy messages that infiltrated the platform. This puts the woman in the drivers seat at the beginning, but it looks the same as any app after the first "like."

Old 05-02-2018, 02:27 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I have found a funny thing happening... I'm so used to the idea that Facebook is snooping out every detail of my personality, and I share plenty of stuff about my own views towards relationships, sexuality, and so on (to include BDSM events, non-monogamy articles, etc) and I expect Facebook to have enough information about me, that when I get an ad that is so completely off-target as to be laughable, I get a little irked about it.

HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW ME BETTER THAN THAT, FACEBOOK??

Just today, I got an ad for a religious site, with an article about "avoiding sexual immorality" and how it was God's will to be virginal until marriage and then only ever sexual with your one spouse for life. I'm not religious and my beliefs are about as far from that as you can get, except to say that if someone chooses that path then good for them. Way too late for any such consideration on my part, I didn't merely "lose" my virginity, I nuked it into oblivion. Evidently, Facebook thinks I need Jesus.

So I really don't think that Facebook is qualified to suggest compatible dating partners for me.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:23 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The reason Bumble is setup for women to send the first message was due to feedback from "customers" about Tinder and the number of sketchy messages that infiltrated the platform. This puts the woman in the drivers seat at the beginning, but it looks the same as any app after the first "like."
I already knew that; it's more a matter of consistency in principle.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Just today, I got an ad for a religious site, with an article about "avoiding sexual immorality" and how it was God's will to be virginal until marriage and then only ever sexual with your one spouse for life. I'm not religious and my beliefs are about as far from that as you can get, except to say that if someone chooses that path then good for them. Way too late for any such consideration on my part, I didn't merely "lose" my virginity, I nuked it into oblivion. Evidently, Facebook thinks I need Jesus.

So I really don't think that Facebook is qualified to suggest compatible dating partners for me.
SS, Actually, I'm betting this shows it is working. This was a sponsored ad. I run sponsored ads on FB for a project I work on, and I'm betting they targeted someone into kink, of bdsm as part of the "interests" you are into. When I'm setting up my ads I target groups based on age ranges, gender, country and keywords just like this. Now, I'm trying to sell things, so I'm targeting people that I know may like what I'm selling. But if you're an issue person, or trying to reach out to who you think are "lost" or "misguided" people for their "deviant" beliefs, I would run that ad exactly to target people into those "interests"; if you're selling Jesus to people not into Jesus, you have to target people not into Jesus. FB just does the delivery, and collects the money, the person paying for it makes the decision on who should be getting it.

Just a thought. It's amazing how tailored the ads can be. I targeted 25-45 yo males, from Poland, Japan, Czech, and Germany (places I've traditionally had orders for the genre of this project) with three specific interest keywords. Worked like a charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships