Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 09:36 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times

Advertisements

Wife was involved in the ring setting selection.

I surprised her by picking out the diamond myself. I went for relatively modest but very high quality diamond within my limited budget of that time.

She isn't into fancy things either (neither am I) so keep it simple and modest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 12:48 PM

983 posts, read 2,773,888 times
It really depends on the couple and particularly the woman. Do you think your girlfriend would want to give input into the ring selection, or is she the type of person who prefers to be surprised? Some women are very picky about this kind of thing and others are not. Some women are very practical and would not appreciate a lot of money being "wasted" on jewelry. As another poster mentioned, some women are opposed to diamond industry practices. On the other end of the spectrum, there are some women who practically define their value by how big and expensive their engagement ring is and not only want a huge rock to show off to everyone, but want to choose the ring themselves.

Does she even want an engagement ring? Yes, it is traditional, but not all women (myself included) buy into that tradition. My husband and I both wear wedding bands but I always found the engagement ring tradition did not jive with my feminist sensibilities.

Just mentioning that to illustrate that the individual woman and her personality, beliefs and desires are a huge factor in guiding you in this matter.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:39 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
I am a diamond person. My fiancé and I went shopping together one day last fall, on a fact finding mission. He learned about diamonds and what I like. He then went shopping on his own for a few months and had mall stores being in lots of diamonds but he didn’t find anything he liked. He was looking for a high quality diamond. Then him and I liked online at Blue Nile, which is ultimately where he purchased my diamond. I absolutely love it and he paid about $4k less than it is appraised for so the prices were very reasonable. They were much cheaper than the mall stores for a high quality diamond.

We have similar incomes as you. My ring was $9k. But he was only buying one and neither of us wanted to upgrade at a later time. He purchased a 1.21 heart ❤️ shape, vvs1, f with a very good cut.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
What worked well for my daughter and my son-in-law: SIL and daughter talked about what kind of ring she would like and the type of metal. They probably looked at pics online. SIL picked out the actual ring himself and surprised daughter with the proposal while they were on a trip.

Daughter loves it.

Personally I was hoping he would give her a ruby surrounded by diamonds for something different, but of course that's my secret hope for a ring.

I never asked the cost and won't.
I would have hated receiving a ruby. Tanzanite, Morganite, sapphire... ruby would be at the far bottom, right down there with a garnet. Actually I have a ruby ring. I have not worn it in 25 years.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
How about the lab manufactured diamond route? You can get flawless 1.5ct rings for < 40% of the traditional route.
No. Go with the real deal.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:04 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Long story short, we are in relationship and everything is going great. It's already a time to think about future engagement. We live in the US, but both of us grew up in different countries, so your advice is needed (I don't really know the system, how it works in the US).

My income is 100K, zero debt except mortgage. Her income is about 70K. She is not much into fancy things, however I don't want to be cheap. At the same time, why overpay for the engagement ring, we can use that money for travel and future wedding. What would be the recommended budget for the ring? Any particular recommended brands? I am looking for the good quality, but also prefer to stay practical.

How does it normally work in the US? Do guys just go secretly buy rings, or do their discuss ring design/specs with their gfs? My ex was pushing me to buy a ring only approved by her. She raised the budget from 5K initially to 8K and then 12K. It didn't work out with her but I still remember numbers However my coworker from very big fortune 500 company recommended 5K budget. I remember this was US average budget about 5 years ago, but I am looking more towards something better than average.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

Buy what you and your girlfriend want to afford at this time. Remember you can always buy her jewelry for her the future.

I personally had lots of help from my wife’s mom and sister. If that is not an option, go with your girlfriend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I don't know if you or your girl are going to go for this, but if you want to get a nice piece of jewelry for a good value, you could consider moissanite instead of a diamond. It is an inexpensive, conflict-free alternative to the De Beers BS crammed down our throats since the 1940s. It has the hardness and brilliance of a diamond, and nobody is going to take a jeweler's loupe to look at her ring finger. My ex and I discussed it and we ended up getting a fabulous 1 ct, white gold filigree ring for under $700. We called it the "smart ring". Personally I would slap someone if they gave me a ring for several thousand dollars, but keep in mind that this is coming from someone who couldn't care less about the whole wedding industry. Check out Charles and Colvard if you are interested.
There is nothing wrong with diamonds. They are very nice to look at.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
There is nothing wrong with diamonds. They are very nice to look at.
They're not everyone's cup of tea.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:15 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I suppose I'm just not in tune with the average woman but I abhor the idea that a token of one's love has a dollar sign ( or show off value) attached.
I most certainly do acknowledge that something that is going to be worn, assumedly 'forever' shouldn't turn your finger green but that's in the metal, not the stone.
And the 'real' value of this emotion charged purchased? Mostly 'sucker' value as any woman on here that has tried to sell hers, no matter how beautiful, after a divorce, can tell you.
Upthread, this was posted...
"The industry gives a guideline that grooms should spend about 2 months of their salary on the ring."LOL. ya' think you should go along with advice from the ones trying to make as much profit as they can??

Old 05-20-2018, 02:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I think the average women gives way less of a crap about the amount of money dropped on a ring than many assume.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:27 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think the average women gives way less of a crap about the amount of money dropped on a ring than many assume.
I hope you're right.
So is it the men that are being bamboozled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships