Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 06:28 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
So here is the actual problem:

You are judging his life by your standards and expectations.

Do you know if he has a serious plan for his future? Have you talked about it together?

Have you posted here before?
She should judge him by her standards and expectations if they are in a relationship. This guy sounds like he needs to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 06:31 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersL085 View Post
Just to clear it up, he doesn’t need my car to get there, he has a car. A week or so back we discussed using my car more because it is a lease and he owns, saving miles because I have a short commute. I just would have liked him to ask rather than assume

Here is the thing, I have been a little resentful in the finance area lately. I just bought a house (he still rents from a friend.. at 32 y.o), and I have been spending a lot to get the house together. He stays with me on weekends and helps here and there with food, but we split when we go out. I guess the reason in my OP I got so annoyed is stemming from the fact that I don’t feel like he is where he should be in the job, career, finances, but he is trying. It scares me that he doesn’t have more of his life together, so I take things like this way more seriously than I should. But again, it would be nice to be treated by my man once in a while, especially when he invited me
OP, you should start a separate thread based on your 2nd paragraph here. It's an important topic deserving of its own thread.

OK, he prefers to use your car. So let him use your car to go to his event. He could leave his with you for the day.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
How long have patterns like this been occurring?

If it has been consistent, then it is unlikely to change unless you speak up.

If you have spoken up and it has continued, it's a sign of incompatibility.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:05 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
She should judge him by her standards and expectations if they are in a relationship.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. How else would you evaluate a potential life partner? By Judge Judy's standards and expectations? Pee-Wee Herman's? Charlie Sheen's? <shudder>

She's responsible enough with her money that she's in a position to buy a house. I would want a life partner who is at least a financial equal, not some guy who's going to want to move in to get away from his roommate. (Theoretical, I know, but OP, you're not going to allow that, right?)

It may be that these uneasy feelings she's having indicate it's time for the OP to cool the relationship.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:16 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I'm wondering how the OP managed to buy a house while also paying down college loans. She must make a LOT more money than her bf!

Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
If you invited him then you should pay. He invited YOU. NO, you shouldn’t pay. whoever invites pays. That’s the way it goes...

Old 05-18-2018, 08:53 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersL085 View Post
A few weeks ago, my boyfriend (of a few years who I am quite serious with) invited me to an event that he goes to every year with his siblings. I told him I am not really into that particular event (comic/actor meet and greet), but he really wanted me to go as part of their tradition, so I agreed. Well it’s this weekend, so we were planning and he asked if I could bring him the money for the ticket, $40.... All I could think was, you invited me, your girlfriend, to something I’m not even interested in, and now I have to pay my way?
Just to be clear I am not one of those girls that expects the guys to pay for everything, we share dinner bills, etc all the time ,but I felt this situation was different. He invited me out and now wants me to pay. Am I in the wrong to be a little annoyed here? I don’t know why this is bothering me so much, I guess because he expected it rather than asking if I could help out. Oh, and then he asked if we can take my car, this event is an hour away....
I just don’t know what to think. He is a giving person normally, but has always asked I pitch in on things like “maybe you can leave the tip?” When we are out. Or he says I’ll buy this if you get us a drink later? Which I hated at first but I get it, it’s fair. He doesn’t make a lot, actually I make more and we both have student debt. But once in a while I’d like to be treated I guess
I would simply back out and not go. That's absurd.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
This guy sounds like he needs to grow up.
Based on HER description. We really have no information about his life or what his goals are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes, that's what I was thinking. How else would you evaluate a potential life partner? By Judge Judy's standards and expectations? Pee-Wee Herman's? Charlie Sheen's? <shudder>

So you do every single thing EXACTLY the same way your husband does?

By your dismissive "logic," we could just as easily say the OP should live according to her BF's standards, lay off a little bit and slow down, not take on so much and just live life the way he does.

They are not conjoined twins. They are two different people who approach life in their own way, and part of dating is figuring out if those ways are compatible.

She's going to have to decide if this guy has an approach to life that is compatible with hers, and right now she's nervous about that. That anxiety apparently is now spilling over into her everyday interactions with him and causing resentment.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:32 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Personally that would annoy me. It's one thing if you offer to pay, but being told to in a situation in which you were asked to go as someone's date/girlfriend, no. I'm old fashioned and I don't think going dutch or halfsies is very romantic. It feels more like buds/friends.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:51 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
I don't think this is a romantic thing. It does sound like including her in a family thing which I see as a positive. More like being part of the family than buds/friends.

But I don't blame her for being annoyed. He didn't go about it very tactfully. Rather dumb really - the kind of boo boo I would make. Or might of when I was younger and dumber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships