Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:48 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,595,085 times

Advertisements

The patch worked for me. My husband still smokes. I told him to try Chantix and pick a date to quit. He's not ready. It's not worth badgering him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 12:09 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,067,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You shouldn't have married him. At this point in my life, cigarette smoking is a big deal breaker for me. I won't even flirt with a guy that smokes.

I agree!
Same here, won't date a smoker or drinker....that's probably why I'm still single.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:44 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,127,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I was trying to find a way to approach him not to do it before we plan on being close.
Well, that should be easy! Just say something along the lines of "Hey Schmoopie, I love you and all but the smoke stank doesn't exactly put me in the mood, y'know? How 'bouts you lay off the smokes until after we uh... be close?"

I had to let my girlfriend know that for whatever strange reason I can't stand the smell of peanut butter on someone's breath (don't know why -- I looove peanut butter -- just squicks me out to smell it). She was surprised that it bothered me so much, but she now lays off the pb&j's. And I made it clear that it wasn't her that turned me off ... just the smell of peanut butter.
(And I didn't actually call her Schmoopie. I think that helped.) Seriously though, I would think the direct approach would work best here.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:23 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,034,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I agree!
Same here, won't date a smoker or drinker....that's probably why I'm still single.
It's well worth the alone time to wait for a quality man.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:19 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,879,511 times
So what if he smoked or not when you married him? The point is he smokes and it bothers you (as it should)!

He is endangering his life, why would you want to be around someone who has so little respect for his life or health? Or for your health for that matter, second hand smoke is dangerous! Do you have children? I hope not.

You should be supportive of him quitting, but you should not be enabling him to smoke. Tell him you can not handle him killing himself every time he lights up. Be strong and firm. Obviously he is weak and that is why he can not stand up against his addiction. One day he will thank you for your strength.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:25 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,881,851 times
My father used to smoke when he met my mother. Either while they were dating or soon after they got married, she told him that the smoke was bothering her. She said if he didn't quit, she'd start so that they could both die early. Needless to say, he quit cold turkey and hasn't smoked since ... before I was born.

However, it seems like your husband can't quit cold turkey. Would you give him the ultimatum "It's either me or the cigarettes?" With all the new smoking cessation products available, I'd think that something has to work. Maybe his doc can give advice? I've also heard that hypnosis has helped some people quit. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:27 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,405,807 times
Hi is not only shortening his life by smoking, but YOURS as well. If this bothers you a lot you need to make a stand. Tell him how you feel. Tell him you love him but do not feel like being close to him when he smokes. Ask him to please try something else (maybe hypnosis?) but to please quit for both of your sakes.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:30 PM

28,840 posts, read 30,098,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I can't stand it. It's such a nasty habit. He's tried stopping tons of times, but it never works. It's such a turn off kissing him. It's like kissing an ashtray. YUK! What do I do?
Did he smoke when you said yes?

Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 PM

990 posts, read 2,543,438 times
A couple of questions,

1, How old is he?

2, How long has he smoked?

3, Does he want to stop?

4, Does he say he is ready?

Don't whine. Don't badger. Don't show your temper. DON'T GIVE UP ON HIM!!!

I used to smoke 3 packs per day. I quit COLD TURKEY. It can be done.

That said each person is different. Your husband might need medication or counseling. But he will almost definitely NEED YOU. Let him know that you will help him to get through it, TOGETHER.

However, this is just too important to just give up on him.

GOOD LUCK

Old 03-29-2008, 07:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,952,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
However, it seems like your husband can't quit cold turkey.
Has it ever occurred to you that many people simply DON'T WANT to?! If not, try thinking outside your own lil' box for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships