Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 04:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Actually you can get by without a car in most US Metropolitan areas. But we have no idea where the OP lives...
Since the OP says that the BF lives 25 miles away, I suspect that it isn't as easy as just "hopping on the bus".

For many years I lived in one of the closest suburbs of a major US city. I suppose that we could have gotten by without a car if we had to do that. It was a two mile walk to the closest bus route, which ran infrequently, from there you could have taken multiple transfers to reach various parts of the city. I am guessing that to get to parts of the city ten to fifteen miles away might take three different buses and two hours (including wait times). Now, it would be virtually impossible to get completely across the city, from the northern suburbs to the southern suburbs 25 miles away, unless you take an Uber (as the bus system does not extend to the outer suburbs). BTW, the last time my friend took an Uber that far, in my city, it cost $80.

---------------

PS. I do agree that if you live and work near bus lines and/or are willing to ride your bike and/or walk long distances it is feasible to live without a car in many major cities.

Heck, I know someone who does almost everything by bike (drops off and picks up his two children from the day care center, gets to work eight miles away, does all of the errands/grocery shopping, etc.) because he is very energy conscious and wants to limit pollution. They normally only use their car if they are traveling to other cities.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-12-2018 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: added PS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 04:58 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
OP, I was married to a man for 17 years, in a great profession, highly educated (Phd), very accomplished - and he never owned a car and never drove. It worked out fine - lived in eight different states together.

The point is there are plenty of people who do not drive and do not own cars.

Some people in the U.S. are not aware of this and live in unawareness and ignorance of it.

I am not speaking to wherever you happen to live, OP - because you have not said where you live - but you did say your boyfriend took a bus for your first date to your residence. I'm just pointing out that it can be done. (not sure in your locale, maybe not in your locale)

Sometimes when people are in a relationship they move to homes/apts closer to each other and on bus/light rail routes - NOT 25 miles apart like you and your boyfriend are.

People who want to live without a car usually live on or very near bus lines and/or rail lines - and often choose to live in towns/cities which have very good bus systems. And as I mentioned earlier, there are tons of small and medium-sized college/university towns which have very good bus systems all over the U.S.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:59 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
It really sounds like the car isn't the only issue.
MissPip wants him to be something he's not.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:53 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
OP, I was married to a man for 17 years, in a great profession, highly educated (Phd), very accomplished - and he never owned a car and never drove. It worked out fine - lived in eight different states together.

The point is there are plenty of people who do not drive and do not own cars.

Some people in the U.S. are not aware of this and live in unawareness and ignorance of it.

I am not speaking to wherever you happen to live, OP - because you have not said where you live - but you did say your boyfriend took a bus for your first date to your residence. I'm just pointing out that it can be done. (not sure in your locale, maybe not in your locale)

Sometimes when people are in a relationship they move to homes/apts closer to each other and on bus/light rail routes - NOT 25 miles apart like you and your boyfriend are.

People who want to live without a car usually live on or very near bus lines and/or rail lines - and often choose to live in towns/cities which have very good bus systems. And as I mentioned earlier, there are tons of small and medium-sized college/university towns which have very good bus systems all over the U.S.
I own a house.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:59 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I own a house.
Financially you are way beyond your current partner. Are you okay with being the breadwinner in the family forever? Or will you end up having resentments down the road?

You should really find someone more you match. By chance is the BF good-looking and it's hard to break up? Or/and is the sex that amazing to give up?

Old 06-12-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:

I own a house.
He could move much closer to you then, if he doesn't own a house. (if there is longevity to the relationship)

25 miles apart is not good.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
He could move much closer to you then, if he doesn't own a house. (if there is longevity to the relationship)

25 miles apart is not good.
Then he'd be far from work as he lives close to his job.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Financially you are way beyond your current partner. Are you okay with being the breadwinner in the family forever? Or will you end up having resentments down the road?

You should really find someone more you match. By chance is the BF good-looking and it's hard to break up? Or/and is the sex that amazing to give up?
He doesn't want kids and I haven't thought about kids either so I'm not thinking about being a breadwinner in a family.

Though I am very happy with his looks and performance in bed, I'm not hypnotized by them. I love that we both have the same interests and if I have a project going on he's right there by my side supporting me and I support his interests too. I feel like we're a team but I guess financially we're not and he can't keep up due to lack of motivation, immaturity and I guess laziness.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It really sounds like the car isn't the only issue.
MissPip wants him to be something he's not.
Quote:
He doesn't want kids and I haven't thought about kids either so I'm not thinking about being a breadwinner in a family.

Though I am very happy with his looks and performance in bed, I'm not hypnotized by them. I love that we both have the same interests and if I have a project going on he's right there by my side supporting me and I support his interests too. I feel like we're a team but I guess financially we're not and he can't keep up due to lack of motivation, immaturity and I guess laziness.
Your expectations are clear, Miss Pip.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:47 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
It is what it is & It is bothering you.

It’s not “just” driving; round trips are time consuming. The non-drivers never seem to appreciate that you are investing twice as much time to accomplish 1 errand or event as they are.

Not to mention gas prices are rising, it’s summer = more people out & about & if you have to drive on the road with drivers like those in my area; you’re increasing you’re odds to be injured or killed in a crash exponentially.

Actually; I’ve driven in your area before & that’s exactly what you are doing.

I’m not saying he’s not a keeper but you are entitled to be annoyed without having to wonder if you’re just being nit-picky or unreasonable. You are, in fact; reasonably annoyed.

Best case: He’s clueless that you’re annoyed. He’s clueless that he’s imposing. He’s clueless that this is actually hard on you.

Worst case: He’s intentionally manipulating you & lying.

The “In the middle case”: He’s just gotten lazy & thinks (hopes) that this can continue for as long as possible. Which is still a little disturbing because he’s okay with you being used.

You need to show him you are not okay with being used! Try not agreeing to do this once or twice & see what happens. If you don’t do it does it not happen? Or does he manage to get himself to a car lot within a week or two?

I mean; it’s bothering you (it would bother me too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships