Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 PM

378 posts, read 229,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
So you are saying that 50% of the marriages in the US do not pass "healthy relationship" test as defined by feminists? Do you have a definition of what a healthy relationship is?
How about not treating each other like crap for starters or is that too unrealistic or high of a standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 03:53 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Parents / children is probably about the only dynamic where it's at the lowest, especially when the kids are young.
I wish we could kill the idea that the only unconditional love is between parent and child. This is absolute myth. It's most likely parents who screw people up and create individuals who go out and play out their dysfunctions in romantic relationships. I think this myth is perpetuated so much because people don't want to admit that their parents weren't perfect and made mistakes. Most issues adults have can be linked to their family. Unconditional love really boils down to "live and let live". It's a lack of the need to posess another...and that's something we all struggle with to some degree.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:53 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
So you are saying that 50% of the marriages in the US do not pass "healthy relationship" test as defined by feminists? Do you have a definition of what a healthy relationship is?
Breathe into the paper bag there, guy, I'm not even a feminist.

Marks of unhealthy relationships:
1. Physical violence and/or consent violations.
2. Constant fighting, high levels of stress.
3. Coldness, people who avoid each other.
4. Lies, secrets, cheating.
5. Pervasive disrespect or contempt for your partner.
6. Socially isolating your partner.
7. Badly handling insecurity by becoming paranoid, accusatory, suspicious (without cause.) Cheaters often do this to non-cheating partners.
8. Being a burden to one's partner, not pulling one's weight in terms of effort or support of each other and/or household.
9. Efforts to control one's partner, denying them agency and decision making.
10. Gaming a partner's self-esteem, strategically putting them down in subtle ways, making them feel that you're the only person who could ever love them, that they are not worthy of love, or that they have to prove their value to you.
11. Drug or alcohol abuse and related behaviors.

I'm sure there are more, but those are some of the more common ones I can think of. Frankly things that I think anyone is justified in leaving someone for, and no one should have to deal with.

Then there are incompatibilities. A very good example of that, is when one partner loses their sex drive (and it's not always the woman! I know men who have!) and the other partner still needs physical affection to feel loved. If the couple is not able to negotiate another solution like an open relationship or something, then that is reasonable grounds to break up so that people can get their needs met.

A HEALTHY relationship on the other hand, involves two people not acting like enemies or opponents, but pulling together as a team. Considerate to one another, having empathy for one another, and having each other's backs. Not controlling or judgmental, but loving and giving, and forgiving and compassionate to each other. Compatible in how they understand and show love, compatible in levels of sexual desire, and with a sincere desire to work through challenges in good faith. Also compatible in desired levels of together-time, and alone-time, core values, principles, and lifestyle habits.

Will all of these things always go off without a hitch? Of course not. But a healthy couple understands that they are only human and when difficulties arise, they cooperate to solve them. They do not take the road of being destructively right just to "win" over bridging the gap and repairing the damage to the relationship.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:06 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
I am 28 years old (I know people will probably say I am still "young," but I feel like I may never find true love, as I never find anyone who blows me away.

So to everyone reading this....do you believe in true love? That love where you are totally blown away by someone and feel crazy sparks? I know Hollywood tend to make it look so much more fairytale like, but I was wondering if anyone has actually experienced amazing love.
Like its depicted in Hollywood, no? Can you fall in love? Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships