Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:30 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Yeah, go ahead and cancel everything OP. You're too insecure and controlling, and you already made one of her friends feel excluded on the other trip.
This isn't about the OP. It is the OP's FRIEND who has the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 01:32 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Not a betrayal, but my question is, why did it come up then? Is this not something they would have discussed prior to the move-in date?
He's apparently known her long enough to know that she's inclined to travel often. Why does it have to be discussed at all? When I'm involved with a guy I assume that he will occasionally do things, including travel, without me.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-19-2018 at 02:05 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 02:32 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
He should go ahead and cut her loose so she can find someone more secure.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:52 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Not a betrayal, but my question is, why did it come up then? Is this not something they would have discussed prior to the move-in date?
Why? It has nothing to do with living together. Rent, housework, food etc has to do with living together. People don't agree to spend all their time together and share everything just because they live together.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:48 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
A friend's girlfriend wants to take overseas trips without him.
Only an overly jealous and possessive control freak would be concerned about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
He felt excluded and is not Ok with the idea of not being able to go along on these occasional "girl trips" she wants to go on.
And yet, he would probably be the first to jump into a car with a bunch of guy-friends and head out to Las Vegas or Reno for a weekend without her.

He's either incredibly immature or has serious mental and emotional issues, for which he needs help, if he ever wants a successful relationship.

It's a girlfriend, not a dog; it doesn't obey commands simply because he barks.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:12 PM

777 posts, read 452,196 times
I think he's overly controlling.

Trying to be sympathetic to his point of view, but it's tough.

If her female friends are total party girls always on the prowl and hooking up with random men, I can see where that might give him pause. For some reason, I doubt that's the case here.

Is she expecting him to pay for her solo trip(s)? I can see where that could be a legit issue.... but again, kind of doubt that's the issue.

She should be happy if he dumps her over this.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:09 AM

11 posts, read 9,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Grown ups should be able to do things and go places independently. My daughter is in Italy with 3 girlfriends right now. Last summer, her husband took their son and some friends to Europe. They have been married for 20+ years though.

I think the OP is in a new relationship and doesn’t understand why the girlfriend would rather be with others instead of him. He is right to feel uneasy about that. It sounds like she’s not that into him.
That's good for them, but everyone is different. He isn't comfortable with it, and he is seeing warning signs. They may not be compatible and he should find someone who doesn't give him warning signs.

I was very cautious about girlfriends and had several abuse freedoms.

My wife, on the other hand, does not give me warning signs and I'm very ok with her doing things like girls trips to exotic locations.

So there are different views to this...

Old 06-20-2018, 07:15 AM

11 posts, read 9,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Only an overly jealous and possessive control freak would be concerned about it.
Or someone who has been cheated on multiple times in the past?

Quote:
And yet, he would probably be the first to jump into a car with a bunch of guy-friends and head out to Las Vegas or Reno for a weekend without her.

He's either incredibly immature or has serious mental and emotional issues, for which he needs help, if he ever wants a successful relationship.

It's a girlfriend, not a dog; it doesn't obey commands simply because he barks.
You realize that you are making an ASSUMPTION then basing your entire judgement on that assumption?

People come here looking for help and advice, it is disappointing when people assume that the person is the cause of the problem and they are blamed, rather than being given help.

It would be reasonable to list a string of possibilities, INCLUDING asking him to look inward and make sure he isn't being controlling, possessive or jealous, but to assume that is the only possible answer and to assume things about him and to chide him seems kind of rude.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:17 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteele93 View Post
That's good for them, but everyone is different. He isn't comfortable with it, and he is seeing warning signs. They may not be compatible and he should find someone who doesn't give him warning signs.

I was very cautious about girlfriends and had several abuse freedoms.

My wife, on the other hand, does not give me warning signs and I'm very ok with her doing things like girls trips to exotic locations.

So there are different views to this...

If he's feeling warning signs, how does cancelling a trip THAT'S ALREADY PAID FOR help? That's a huge big baby move.

The way I see it, he's the one giving off warning signs.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:11 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
I would expect important, big ticket items to be discussed prior to moving in - expectations of how the relationship will progress (remain status quo, eventually get married, etc.), life goals, be on the same page regarding children, and how finances will be handled.

How trips and vacations are to be handled is not a big ticket item. I mean you can't map out how everything they encounter will be handled prior to moving in. I would also go in with the assumption that there will be times when either will want to take the occasional trip without the other. IMO, it's abnormal and stifling to not be able to go on the occasional trip without your SO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships