Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,557,601 times

Advertisements

Current U.S. society really doesn't provide a lot of opportunity for meeting others for finding potential dates. You are not alone in this, OP. (especially after the fertile ground of schooling is completed)

Many societies in European countries provide more opportunities for meeting people.

In the U.S.there is emphasis on cars, car dominated towns/cities, construction of cities and neighborhoods being dominated by what is good for cars rather than pedestrians, roads ruining neighborhoods, traffic and speed of traffic dominating rather than what is good for pedestrians and walkers, etc.

So don't think you are one of the only ones who find that finding potential dates and meeting enough appropriate potential people from which to draw dates is a problem that only you suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 04:47 PM

1,801 posts, read 1,221,989 times
Thanks for all the responses. Good stuff. I'd say I'm a little bit shy and awkward. I've tried not to be but it's hard to change it. It just feels like everyone around my age has someone, and a family. Everyone I talk to, "oh, my bf this" or "my gf that". Then when I'm sitting at stop lights, I look at someone's hand on their steering wheel and see a wedding ring lol. It like there's something I'm missing. Like I lost the "great race" or something. I actually enjoy being around people that have been single for as long as me (which is very uncommon). It makes me feel like less of an alien.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
You could try posting a picture for us. That way we can critique your clothing, hairstyle, etc.
Lol, well I've been told on several occasions that I'm a decent looking guy (athletic build, well spoken, etc).

Old 06-27-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I was going to ask this too ^ ...are you shy? If so, you're less alone than you think. I promise you.

Maybe you can give a few details? How have you been trying to meet women?

Please don't feel like a failure. I really doubt that's true. It isn't always easy finding someone who's right for us. It can take a while. But especially if we don't put ourselves out there and for some people that can be pretty hard.
I've tried the cold approch, via friends, tinder, pof, etc. All of it. I guess I'm just off-putting in some way. Like there's a secret I don't know about.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:53 PM

I will say this though, women tend to be comfortable around me and talk to me. But when I attempt to ask them out, I'll get their number, try to set up a date, then..... Crickets.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:02 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,923,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
I will say this though, women tend to be comfortable around me and talk to me. But when I attempt to ask them out, I'll get their number, try to set up a date, then..... Crickets.
Hmmm.

How are you asking them out? How soon after you meet them? Are you seeing any sort of pattern, so you have some place to start in figuring out what's going on here?

Old 06-27-2018, 05:14 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:
Hey so I'm 30 years old. I'm turning 31 next month. As much as it's hard for me to tell people this, I've been single for 9 years. It's really embarrassing. I've always struggled in dating. So much so that I am a believer that women just aren't in to me (at least in the state I live in). I've had some girls interested in me, but I wasn't really into them. My parents are nearing 70 years old. I feel like a failure because I wasn't able to find someone special, have a small family, and give my parents grandchildren. They don't pressure me about it, to be clear. I just feel like maybe they were hoping for a grandchild some day. I just don't see it happening in the future because of my dating shortcomings. It's painful to think about and accept. Does anyone else ever feel this way?
Just turned 30, not really interested in parenting or marriage but feel like a failure sometimes for not having better luck with women. I know my attitude can be offputting but typically the window dressing turns them off long before my attitude does. I’ve just made peace with being single and try to remember a bad relationship is worse.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:21 PM

708 posts, read 821,473 times
What you need to ask yourself is concerning your thought process. Think about it, how is your current thought process helping you? does it serve any purpose? Has comparing what you have, to what others have served any purpose or improved anything?

I am older than you and single. However, my thought process or rather my perception is the complete opposite. At the moment your own perception as a failure is not serving any purpose, in fact it is probably making it less likely to meet someone!

We are our own worst enemy....

Old 06-27-2018, 05:40 PM

11,379 posts, read 24,385,676 times
Quote:
You should invite them to Ikea. To me that would be a perfect first date: food and shopping, all safe, climate controlled, and public. Be sure to buy them a cool gift while you’re there.

Tell them you need help picking out dishes for your kitchen. Gets them every time.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:52 PM

399 posts, read 220,232 times
Quote:
Hey so I'm 30 years old. I'm turning 31 next month. As much as it's hard for me to tell people this, I've been single for 9 years. It's really embarrassing. I've always struggled in dating. So much so that I am a believer that women just aren't in to me (at least in the state I live in). I've had some girls interested in me, but I wasn't really into them. My parents are nearing 70 years old. I feel like a failure because I wasn't able to find someone special, have a small family, and give my parents grandchildren. They don't pressure me about it, to be clear. I just feel like maybe they were hoping for a grandchild some day. I just don't see it happening in the future because of my dating shortcomings. It's painful to think about and accept. Does anyone else ever feel this way?
I've spent most of my life single. I'm in my mid 20s, never really been bothered by it. Also never put much effort into it prior to this year.

With that said, I also have no trouble meeting and getting to know strangers. You should definitely learn to do that. It's basically a prerequisite for dating.

With any remotely interesting/interested person, a 1-2 hour conversation should be a breeze (especially if you're doing something besides sitting around). If you can't do that, you should try going to meetups. Don't go trying to find a date. Just go to get practice meeting total strangers. That takes all the pressure off to find someone attractive, similar in age, and any other constraints you have on dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships