Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 840 times

Advertisements

I feel your pain. I'm married and from Northern Cal. Wife loves our current home in North Carolina but I can't stand being in this backward a$$ undiverse hick town. People think it's a big city here but it's small as blank.

Main reason I'm here is because I'm flat out priced out. Can't really afford it based on my job and salary. I left the country for 4 years and came back to an economic boom that blew up housing costs!

I know how you feel about the souless ness of LA. I lived there for a year or two and it actually grows on you.

If ur still there Id try and make as many friends as you can. Get involved with volunteering and connect with the community as much as you can. This is your key to happiness if you can't get out.

Blessings and best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 11:13 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Just a vent.

My husband is a nice guy. So this isn't a husband-bashing thread. I'll save that for in private. Just kidding.

We moved here to California for a number of reasons, but most of all, I saw us going nowhere in the northeast, and my middle son was constantly sick, and my family was all moving here, there and everywhere and floating away from our previous epicenter (New Jersey), and DH's parents were offering us a very inexpensive rental in the Los Angeles area...and just at that time, my husband lost his job due to downsizing. So it seemed like the perfect storm. It was almost like God was telling us to move, so to speak. Every single event conspired for us to move.

I knew even before we left how much I would miss rain, water, lakes, seasons, etc.--I'm a real bumpkin, love fairs, silly seasonal outdoorsy things and the like. Farms...that sort of thing. But...I really didn't see any other options at the time. And anyway, southern California...how bad could it be...right? Warm weather all year round? Who on earth would say no to that?

I was NOT counting on the degree of homesickness I would have, and the degree to which this sort of soulless-feeling environment would affect me. (I can't really explain that sentence so I'll just leave it as it is.) In fact, that's how I found Citydata. I was Googling for other homesick people, and how to get over it.

We have been here three years. I long so much to move somewhere that's just not LA. I still don't feel at home here...it's not a warm (emotionally warm) feeling place at all...I don't know...I don't want to get into all that...it's not really the point...The point is, my husband is in the music industry, doesn't feel he can move anywhere I'd like to move, doesn't believe that there are jobs anywhere else in the country besides New York or L.A., and most of all, is a soCal native and therefore, I know he never wants to leave.

I am stuck and I am angry and sad and lonely...

I have been begging him to consider Oregon. It seems like a nice place to live. I've brought up other places in the past. He has an excuse for every one. For instance, he said "no" to North Carolina because it isn't a blue state.

I don't want to live and die here. I miss an environment that feels homey, neighborhood-like and has a lot of soul and a lot of history. Here, everybody seems like a transient, practically. Everybody is from somewhere else. I haven't met all that many soCal natives. It's kind of bizarre.

What should I do? I'm tired of feeling sad. I try every single day to make this life fabulous. Every single morning I wake up saying to myself that I'm going to LOVE my day and love where I am. And it's not like it's all bad. There's a lot of beauty here, to be sure. But it's not home and I know in my soul it never will be and I just want to...go somewhere that's home.
There are other places in the Los Angeles area that you might get more of what you are looking for. Maybe consider having more of an open mind in finding somewhere else to live in the LA area.

You are right,though. Lots of LA feels soul-less. I hate the Valley, but I like the South Bay - around the beach area.

Some little towns like Placentia in Orange County have more of a neighborhood like atmosphere with a history. Same with areas of Torrance in the South Bay. El Segundo is a little town that is has a very neighborhood, old-fashioned feel. There are other areas around that are like this also.

The thing about LA is it is very diverse. You can find almost any type of environment you want within a relatively short distance.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 03-16-2016 at 11:33 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 11:31 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
I'm an LA guy ant it's a massive city. Where are you living? You can literally find anything for anyone here. There are definitely neighborhoods with the homey slower paced feel, like El Segundo, Mar Vista, Culver City, parts of Pasadena, areas in the South Bay, Santa Clarita, etc, etc.

I grew up in the West LA area close to Venice and had a blast growing up. I love where I grew up.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:03 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Simi Valley is a redneck city but close to LA. It feels like NC there. I won't go into specifics because some people here will call me mean but once you go there and look at the people, you'll agree.

Somis and Moorpark also give the small town vibe.

Or towards the desert, Santa Clarita ...

Old 03-16-2016, 12:04 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
There are other places in the Los Angeles area that you might get more of what you are looking for. Maybe consider having more of an open mind in finding somewhere else to live in the LA area.

You are right,though. Lots of LA feels soul-less. I hate the Valley, but I like the South Bay - around the beach area.

Some little towns like Placentia in Orange County have more of a neighborhood like atmosphere with a history. Same with areas of Torrance in the South Bay. El Segundo is a little town that is has a very neighborhood, old-fashioned feel. There are other areas around that are like this also.

The thing about LA is it is very diverse. You can find almost any type of environment you want within a relatively short distance.
This is very true.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Wait till JerZ figures out that this 8-year-old post has been resurrected!!

Old 03-16-2016, 12:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Wait till JerZ figures out that this 8-year-old post has been resurrected!!
Oh man! Tricked again by not looking at the OP date. Maybe she can come and update us on what happened and if she moved

Old 03-16-2016, 12:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Oh man! Tricked again by not looking at the OP date. Maybe she can come and update us on what happened and if she moved
I hate it when I do that.

I hope she will. She's been on here this week.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
2008?! Dang, lady!

Old 03-16-2016, 01:12 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I'm here, LOL.

Wow, I sure have been on C-D a loooooooong time.

No, we haven't moved. We talk about it sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships