Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:47 AM

13 posts, read 7,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Your husband's full time job has him out of the house 40 hours per week. That leaves easily 100+ hours per week when he's home and you could work at least part time.

My take is that anger is the way this guy reacts to stress. I don't see what you're doing to reduce the stress. If you want to peg the stress meter, start talking about divorce.
He works most weekdays out of town. I have no one to watch/raise my kids while he’s out of town for work and I’m at a full time job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 08:52 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Your issue is the temper and the actions that follow.
If those are the reasons you have identified as to why you need to step out of this relationship, those are the things you address with your husband.

Don’t wait for it to happen before addressing it, approach the issues you have and talk to one another about it.

You have to make time for your relationship if you want it to survive and not just be two roles the other plays out for the other. You can’t expect people to just “be” invested without giving reason to be so...and with that I would suggest you consider a mediator to help you both address the issue you have maintaining your relationship with the time afforded to you both.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:54 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan2018 View Post
He works most weekdays out of town. I have no one to watch/raise my kids while he’s out of town for work and I’m at a full time job.
How does that work with him having two jobs?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-04-2018, 09:11 AM

599 posts, read 276,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Better to figure out a way to make it work rather than a separation - for the kids sake as well as financially

Yes, because divorce means kids are separated from their parents. Just sayin

Seriously, try to work through the issues in your marriage. Divorce is way down the list.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:20 AM

13 posts, read 7,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
How does that work with him having two jobs?
He works Weekends at his second job.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:25 AM

599 posts, read 276,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This, pretty much.

How did the debt happen? So far, we've gotten "iPad" and "vacation". The debt likely happened the old fashioned way... They spent more than they earned.

They had enough debt that the guy felt compelled to go out and work a second job. The guy has massive stress. It sounds like they're not particularly high income given the grammar errors. The OP isn't contributing a dime to household income. That's pretty unusual in 2018.

I figure the most likely outcome of a divorce is the OP lands in abject poverty. 3 kids. No job skills. The ex-husband no longer feels compelled to work two jobs. If they own a house, that vaporizes. In this case, you want to address the issues, not launch on a path to a divorce. It sounds like money is the big issue in this marriage. Get a freakin' part time job, upgrade your education, and get counseling. The alternative probably isn't very attractive. This isn't a high income household where she gets to stay in the house with a big monthly alimony and child support check.
Wow. If only they could move out of the trailer park, everything would be better.

I'll go out on a limb a say marriages fail regardless of wealth.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:46 AM

92 posts, read 54,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
...he is working two jobs to get you guys out of debt...
That alone would make me pretty surly!

Old 07-04-2018, 01:42 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times
Jeez why do people wait until they have 3 kids to suddenly realize this isn't working out

On top of it one of the kids is 11

OP help me understand what about this situation seemed sustainable at any given point in time

Overworked husband and SAHM in the 21st century- sounds like a recipe for disaster

Old 07-04-2018, 01:46 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,311 times
Childcare is expensive. If OP can't command a salary greater than child care cost, then idea if her working isn't viable.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:04 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector1489 View Post
Wow. If only they could move out of the trailer park, everything would be better.

I'll go out on a limb a say marriages fail regardless of wealth.

Financial problems and the stress they cause have always been the #1 cause of marriage failures.

The OP has now disclosed that her husband works out of town 5 days per week. Not much of a marriage. Tough to guess whether the second job is also out of town or whether it's a weekend job. It doesn't take much of a Magic 8 Ball to predict how this is going to turn out. Announcing "I want a divorce" on a Friday evening is going to produce a mushroom cloud. With a non-working wife and 3 kids, this guy is going to get slaughtered in divorce court. Why would he ever make another mortgage payment? Why would he work that second job? Why would he even bother to come home from that 5 day out-of-town job?

I've had road warrior jobs. They're not exactly relationship-friendly and mine weren't putting me out of town 5 days per week every week. The travel burnout is brutal. It's not surprising all this guy's filters vanish after month-after-month of that life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships